Need some convincing on the importance of rest days!

rr85114
rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
So I usually do at least the 30 Day Shred (23 mins of strength training, high intensity cardio and an work) every day except Sunday. I'll also throw in 2 or 3 20-min runs or pure cardio DVDs when I have the time.

Today, although I had planned to do the 30DS, I just felt like taking it easy. But, I've been feeling super guilty for taking a non-scheduled rest day.

Is it true that when you take a rest day or two per week, the next day you sorta "kick start" things since your body gets a chance to repair?

Please help me quell my guilt!

Replies

• rr85114
    The guilt is exacerbated by the fact that I'm continuing to eat TDEE - 15% today. Which I know is the right thing to do, but ARGH! 2100 NET calories?! That's scary! (I'm only on week 2 of EM2WLing).
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,374 Member
    That is great that you are listening to your bodies needs!!! Not so great that you are feeling guilty about resting...Believe me, we all go through this at some point...I had to quit lifting b/c I now have my 3yr old home 24/7 since he is out of pre-school and my routine got messed up...I felt so guilty at first but now I am okay with it....For you though....Just taking a rest day b/c your body needs it is a very good thing to do....Listen to your body and take a break today...A day or two of rest will do wonders for you...And even eating at your cut amount while resting is a good thing too b/c your body knows that even when you are resting you are still going to feed it....Win Win!!! You got this girl!!!

Just breathe and relax...You are doing Fantastic!! :)
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 191 Member
    I recently started doing the 30 day shred and started having tons of weird minor injuries. I've since decided to take it easy and no weight as far as I can tell has been gained (but I'm not looking at the scales). I hope to get back into it but maybe every other day.
  • elly1979
    elly1979 Posts: 79 Member
    Rest days are important! :)

Think of it like this: I doubt our ancestors were pumping iron every day. They probably intuitively understood the need to recoup.

I, too, had guilt in the beginning over not working out enough, but it went awaynafter aboutmtwo weeks. I lift heavy (for me) now, and defnitely feel I've earned extra days if I really need thrm. :)
  • rr85114
    Wow. You're all awesome. Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement! Totally helped the guilt go away!
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    I think what we need to remember is this is about overall health not just weight loss and calorie burn. Certainly exercise but the recovery days are also so important not just for muscle recovery and fatigue....but mentally its important....use the time to have a timeout for yourself...go soak in a bubblebath or read a book....these kinds of things are just as important as the actual exercise in my opinion.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    30DS isn't actually meant to be done every day either. JM clears this up in her ripped in 30 DVD and says you absolutely need to take at least 1 maybe even 2 days off a week to rest.
    So don't feel guilty.
    I recently over did it and i got sick. I took 3 rest days in a row and now i'm better almost immediately. Overall your progress will be less if you don't take time to recover.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    working out is great... working out 7 days a week 365 days a year, is not.
    We all need breaks, mentally and physically. Take a rest day at LEAST once a week, if not two. And I know the guilt is hard. I took 4 days off for a break after Stage 1 of NROL and I hated how I felt about it.. but I know I needed to. I have another rest week coming up here in about ten days and I am already mentally preparing for it:)
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    I have been lifting weights since I was 16, the first two lessons I learned were 1) to swallow your pride-do what you can do and not what that guy is doing. 2) Listen to your body! No one knows your body better than you do, if you are feeling good you push it, minor injuries-if you ignore them turn into major injuries. Your body will always tell you when you need to take a day off.

SFC Q
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    It's not easy for me. I STRUGGLE to MAKE myself take rest days sometimes. Even when my body tells me to take a rest - and I listen - my head still rages. I struggle with guilt all during my rest days. Conversations in my head go like this:

Well, I could just do yoga.
    No...REST.
    Yeah, but...I have a blast of energy right now! Maybe I could pump out a few squats!
    No...REST.
    I am tired. But, what am I going to do while I'm waiting for my husband to come home? I might as well hop on the ellitpical and...

NOOOOO!!! REST!!!!

Then I have a glass of wine and have no choice. :)

And you know what? The next day, I'm so thankful I did. Not only does my body feel better and more energized, buy my mind feels whole and complete.
  • nettasaura
    nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
    Rest days are very important. And those are the days, at least for me, that I seem to drop the water weight retained from exercising and see scale losses even while eating at my cut. I have two rest days in a row on the weekend and I CAN say that I was itching to do something yesterday. However....that just meant that I had a crap load of energy to kill my workout this morning and I did. :)
  • rr85114
    Thanks all - I took your advice to heart to the extent that I've already had 2 rest days this week and it's only Thursday! Hahah!

But I definitely agree that listening to your body is key. Definitely grateful for it the next day when I can go extra hard on my workout thanks to the rest.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    The way I look at it is that I would rather take a rest day guilt free and be able to enjoy other things instead of pushing myself and I end up hurt or sick requiring me to take more than 1 or 2 days off.

Also if your TDEE - 15% is 2100 calories, you don't NET those calories you just EAT 2100 calories.
  • CharliesAngel1
    CharliesAngel1 Posts: 70 Member
    I agree with this! I feel like in the past, being committed to work out EVERY DAY lead to burnout. I didn't stick with it. I'm enjoying my rest days and taking time for my other hobbies. Love it!