first full, advice needed

Options
Hi!

I have run 2 halves, and trained for a full (20 mile long runs), but was in a car accident and wasn't able to go to the race. Its been 2 years since the accident and I've run my second half since then (1:56). I am feeling pretty good, and signed up for a full Nov 4.

My plan was to have 3 weeks on, long runs, and 1 week off so my long run would go to 8-10 miles. Currently my long runs are 10-12 miles and I want to get up to 20 or 22 before the race? I was advised to do speed work on my short runs, and I life occasionally during the week.

I guess I am super nervous because its my first, and if anyone has run them, what do you wish someone would have told you? What were the hardest things about the race or training? My goal for this race is to finish it, without needing to walk, and I don't care too much about my time. Obviously I would prefer to come in btw 4 and 5 hours but finishing is the number one priority.

Replies

• nicescent
    nicescent Posts: 44
    Options
    Hello,
    Do not worry, it is normal to be nervous for your first marathon. I would not go over 20 miles in your training and the 20 miles should be 3 weeks before your race. You need to do some speed work, at least once a week. If you have access to a track it is easier otherwise if you are running on a road, I would use the telephone poles or any poles as markers. For example, you can decide to run your regular speed for the lengh of 4 poles and then sprint between 2 or 3 poles, then go back to your regular speed.
    Do some speed work on hills if you have them near your home.
    Regarding the race, specially the first one, don't look at your watch and don't start too fast. You may be caught in the excitement and run like you are doing a 10K. Big mistake. Start slow and keep going. Think about the weather. What kind are you expecting? warm? cold? Don't run the marathon in new shoes or new socks. Don't forget the vaseline or any type of anti-chaffing product. Protect your nipples if you sweat a lot, they can be bleeding after a long race. I probably forgot other recommendations but the most important is nutrition. Don't forget to drink, even if it is cold and don't forget the gels. Be sure your body accept them. Use the ones you know. The race organisation may provide a brand different from the one you are used to. Carry some with you. You can always try them on your long runs.
    The race in itself should be easy if you are well trained. Finally the most important advice, not only for a first marathon but for any kind of race is: HAVE FUN
    Good luck.
  • dms4436
    dms4436 Posts: 10
    Options
    perfect, thanks! especially about the chaffing, I thought about that very little at my last half, and it was a mistake. Testing my clothes should be on my list.

I found the hal higdon plan though someone else's post on this board, and it looks a lot like what I had planned out on my own. Thanks for the tip to keep the long run 3 weeks out and at 20. I will keep that in mind as well. I appreciate your response :)
  • nicescent
    nicescent Posts: 44
    Options
    You are welcome. If i can be of any help, please contact me.
    Good luck
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My top three marathon tips are as follows:

1) don't go out too fast
    2) don't go out too fast
    3) don't go out too fast

Lots of people ruin their race early on by running 45-60 seconds per mile (or more) too fast. It is really easy to get caught up in the excitement and run fast. Plus you feel great running an easy pace at mile 4. The trick is to still feel good (enough) at mile 24.

I like using pace groups to keep from going to fast. You might line up with a 4:15 pace group (for example). If you feel great at mile 20, then feel free to run ahead of them.

Good luck and have fun!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    My top three marathon tips are as follows:

1) don't go out too fast
    2) don't go out too fast
    3) don't go out too fast

Lots of people ruin their race early on by running 45-60 seconds per mile (or more) too fast. It is really easy to get caught up in the excitement and run fast. Plus you feel great running an easy pace at mile 4. The trick is to still feel good (enough) at mile 24.

I like using pace groups to keep from going to fast. You might line up with a 4:15 pace group (for example). If you feel great at mile 20, then feel free to run ahead of them.

Good luck and have fun!

This is so very true. My race plan calls for running the first 2 miles 20 seconds SLOWER than goal pace. This forces me to be aware of the pacing and to really take it easy in those early miles.