Newbie who can't quite get her head around this :)

Options
Hi guys and girls,

I'm very new to this idea of eating more to weigh less, and i love the sound of it!
I'm 20 years old, currently weight 195.4ibs and I'm 5ft 8" and i exercise 2-3 times a week.

Ive been on a low cal diet of 1200-1400 for, the past 4 weeks perhaps and it just feels like as the days go by, i just feel myself being hungry all the time, and i know that this isn't right.

I worked my numbers out as
BMR-2199
TDEE-2639

But i don't really know what to do from there, i'f I'm honest.

Help would be very much appreciated! x

Replies

• Daymia
    Daymia Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Welcome Coral!

I plugged your info into the Scooby's Workshop calculator and got very different numbers:
    BMR: 1722
    TDEE: 2368
    TDEE -15%: 2013

Using those numbers, you would eat 2013 calories every day, whether you work out or not. If you have an intense day of working out and your net calories falls below 1722, make sure to eat a little something extra to reach you BMR. You never want to eat below your BMR.

If you wanted to start a reset since you've been on a VLCD (very low-calorie diet), you would eat 2368 calories per day.

Glad you found us! I am positive you will feel a ton better!
  • CoralBreeze
    Options
    Oh I wonder where I went wrong then? Haha,

Do you think upping the calories should be done gradually? Or just go for it and up them to 2013 straight away?
    I really appreciate your help, i feel stupid for not understanding haha. x
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    If you've only been doing the low cal thing for 4 weeks I'd jump straight into your 15% cut. You should be fine.

I did 3 months of weight watchers before coming here, jumped straight into my cut and lost almost 1.5 lbs/week... Give it a shot!

And welcome to EM2WL :D
  • CoralBreeze
    Options
    As of tomorrow then i shall give it a shot. 2013 here i come :) just hoping i don't get too discouraged if i do see that the scale has gone up but ill definitely try troop it out!
  • Daymia
    Options
    No need to feel stupid! It takes a bit of time to grasp!

I think everyone has a different preference on upping gradually vs. taking time. I, personally, would just up them. You haven't been on a VLCD for long and you're hungry!

You might experience an initial gain - but don't panic! Eat a few weeks at 2013 and then re-assess if needed. And make sure you take measurements if you haven't already!

When you go to change your calorie goal, make sure you change your macros as well: 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat.
  • CoralBreeze
    Options
    thank you, ill edit those too!
    Ive already taken measurements from a week ago and they're the same anyway just now anyways :)
    Do you think i should be eating more dense foods, as opposed to more (if that even makes sense?)
    Like eat high calorie bread and such?
  • Jigglebewie
    Jigglebewie Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Hey hun =]

Yeh do you like Burgen & Soya they got seeds and grains in and quite high in protein too XD Just sent you a msg x
  • Daymia
    Options
    I personally try to keep processed food out of my diet as much as possible, so I don't even touch low cals breads and such. If it says "fat free" or "low fat," I steer clear. They put in a bunch of chemicals that I just don't want. (I use the Fooducate app on my phone, which helps me identify things I want to stay away from!)

Calorie dense foods are always a good choice if they are healthy. You'll have a much easier time reaching your calorie goal that way.
  • CoralBreeze
    Options
    oh I've had that before, its yummy!
    So i set the carbs to 40% and fat and protein to 30%? :)

i really appreciate your help x
  • Daymia
    Options
    Correct! Protein is usually the hardest to hit. Focus on including foods that have a high protein content into as many meals and snacks as you can: cottage cheese, nuts, nut butter, tuna, etc. I think most of us also use a protein powder to make it a bit easier.
  • CoralBreeze
    Options
    Ill definitely look into the protein powder but i can't really afford it at the minute as I've just recently lost my job :( I'm very excited to start this out though, is it okay if i add you as friends? so i can check out your diary and such? :)
  • Daymia
    Options
    Eep, sorry to hear about your job! Just do the best you can, that's all any of us can do! And absolutely add me - I'm always open to more friends! Especially ones that eat!
  • CoralBreeze
    Options
    I'm definitely one that eats (as of tomorrow anyway)
    Also, my fitness pal says I'm set to lost 0.2ibs a week, is this about right?
  • Jigglebewie
    Jigglebewie Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Are you going to be getting any benefits (jobcentre) ? MyProtein have cheaper prices than some I have found. £12.99 for 1KG bag. See how you go with the protein first but I agree it is the most difficult for me to hit, I'm just ordering my protein now =] x
  • Daymia
    Options
    Their calculator is much different (someone else would have to jump in and explain how here.) It will say you'll lose slowly, but you shouldn't. I would eat at the 15% cut (2013) for a few weeks and see if things are moving for you. Should be around a pound a week or so, I think. If the scale doesn't seem to be moving, you might need to adjust by just a small amount (like 100-200 calories.) But yeah, ignore MFP saying you won't lose!
  • CoralBreeze
    Options
    ahh i see. I'm very excited to start this tomorrow! I really appreciate all your help :)
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Looks like you've gotten your questions answered already so just wanted to welcome you to the group!!!