I know I'm the one millionth person to ask this - but

Options
Shrinking_Moody
Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
since everyone in this group seems so nice and supportive - I'm going to ask it again :happy:

I am also curious about this whole EM2WL deal. I am currently farily new (like two week-ish) out here and on a 1200 calorie diet. After working out (and eating the workout cals) I average around 1800 cals per day.

So - if I were to do this EM2WL thing correctly - I think my numbers would be: (based on a desk job - and 45 minutes/day on the elliptical)

BMR 1818

TDEE 2500

Daily Cals 2000 (based on a 20% calorie reduction)

So - This means that I would have to eat 2000 calories per day - and if working out takes me below 1818 I need to eat those cals back and if not - then don't eat the exercise cals back? Do I have a handle on this at all?

Also - how do you determine your life style? I work from home - at a desk - in front of a computer all day. Since joining MFP - I've worked out on the elliptical 45 minutes/day - so does this count as sedentary, light, or moderate? I think that's the part I'm having trouble with.

I certainly appreciate the help - :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I'd like to double check your numbers since your eliptical burn is likely to put you under bmr at those numbers every day.. (plus, we don't suggest using a 20% cut....tdee - 15% is as large a cut as you want to use)

What are your stats?
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Options
    I'm a whopping 5'1" tall - About 236lbs - And 31 years old - and my goal is 7 days/week on the elliptical - at least 45 minutes a day.

***Also - I don't understand what the 15%, 20% etc mean - I want to lose the maximum I safely can and keep it off - but what do those equate to in lbs per week/mth?
  • jyska
    Options
    Ok, first thing off the top of my head, is you really need a rest day in there...I would strongly suggest you drop one day of exercise and just chill. :smile: Your body needs recovery time or all that hard work just breaks it down.

That being said, if you stay with all 7 days you are right on the edge of moderate and strenuous. (about 5.25 hrs/week). if you drop one day, that puts you nicely in the moderate category. If you keep the 7 days, then you should be in the strenuous category.

The numbers for moderate activity are
    BMR: 1772
    TDEE: 2747
    15% cut: 2335

You need to eat 2335 every day. (even on the one rest day). The 15% cut is the max we recommend....this is not a fast weight loss solution, it is a sustainable fat loss solution. You may want to watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwvJDMi7KTk

Results differ for everyone...some see inches lost first, others see weight drop. But it will likely be slow. And that's ok!

Now, if you just can't take that rest day...then your numbers for strenuous are:
    TDEE: 3057
    15% cut: 2598

Adjust your mfp goals accordingly. You shouldn't find yourself dropping below BMR very often (if at all) but if you do have a high burn day, then eat enough to get your NET above BMR.

I hope that helps get you started! We're all here for you with any questions you have...so just ask!
  • txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Ok, first thing off the top of my head, is you really need a rest day in there...I would strongly suggest you drop one day of exercise and just chill. :smile: Your body needs recovery time or all that hard work just breaks it down.

That being said, if you stay with all 7 days you are right on the edge of moderate and strenuous. (about 5.25 hrs/week). if you drop one day, that puts you nicely in the moderate category. If you keep the 7 days, then you should be in the strenuous category.

You need to eat 2335 every day. (even on the one rest day). The 15% cut is the max we recommend....this is not a fast weight loss solution, it is a sustainable fat loss solution. You may want to watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwvJDMi7KTk

Results differ for everyone...some see inches lost first, others see weight drop. But it will likely be slow. And that's ok!

Now, if you just can't take that rest day...then your numbers for strenuous are:

Adjust your mfp goals accordingly. You shouldn't find yourself dropping below BMR very often (if at all) but if you do have a high burn day, then eat enough to get your NET above BMR.

I hope that helps get you started! We're all here for you with any questions you have...so just ask!

^^^ Everything she said! And welcome to the group! Everyone here is very nice/supportive!
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Options

First of all - thanks so very much! I'm actually starting to feel hungry for the first time today - so this completely makes sense.

A rest day - sounds bad now - but I'm still running on newness adrenaline - so I'm sure a rest day would be super :tongue:

So - how did you get the moderate numbers? (BMR 1772 - TDEE 3057 - and 15% of 2598). I tried to plug it into that scooby thing to get the macro ratio and can't come up with them. What am I doing wrong?
  • jyska
    Options
    I just plugged in your gender, age, height and weight, chose the moderate activity level and a 15% cut...and that's what scooby gave me for your numbers. You should get the same...I'm not sure why you wouldn't...unless I have the inches wrong...I'll double check...What numbers are you getting??

I'm back....I think I put your weight in wrong actually...:blushing: (sorry, I'm at work and was distracted just at the time I ran that last set....argh)

Moderate is
    BMR: 1818
    TDEE: 2818
    TDEE - 15%: 2395

Now, unless I'm losing my marbles, that should be right.....does it line up with what you get?? I'm sooooo sorry, I"m usually very careful with these numbers!!
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Options
    Hope you put it in lower :laugh:

It's no problem - we are all human - and this is exactly what I get. That gives me 35/45/20 for protein/carb/fat.

Thanks so much again! I hope it works for me!
  • jyska
    Options
    Hope you put it in lower :laugh:

It's no problem - we are all human - and this is exactly what I get. That gives me 35/45/20 for protein/carb/fat.

Thanks so much again! I hope it works for me!

Oh thank goodness! I'm such a perfectionist, that had me so embarrassed!!

One thing I'll add is to set your macros at 40c/30p/30f. (not the scooby recs) That's what is recommended around here for most (unless you are training for a marathon and need serious carbs!)
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Options
    Sounds great! I really don't pay a ton of attention to stuff - but figured I probably should start.

Is there a way out here to input my new calorie info for the food diary? I've been messing with it for like 20 minutes and can't figure it out - I'm totally having one of those days.
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Options
    Sounds great! I really don't pay a ton of attention to stuff - but figured I probably should start.

Is there a way out here to input my new calorie info for the food diary? I've been messing with it for like 20 minutes and can't figure it out - I'm totally having one of those days.

Found it!:bigsmile:
  • evansrabbitranch
    Options
    Click the home tab, then click the goals subtab and edit goals, choose the customised option. That should do it for you.