What does it mean if your BMR is higher than calculators?

Options
irunsf85
irunsf85 Posts: 74 Member
Hi all,

Was just wondering what it means if your actual BMR/RMR through measurement is higher than calculators such as scooby's and fat2fit. Does it mean that you have a higher than average BMR and how would that apply to figuring out what your TDEE is?

Replies

• jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    All of the online calculators are estimates...tools to help get you started on the right track. Many people find that the calculators give them different BMR's, so they just have to choose one and start with that. Basically, if your BMR measurement is a little higher that doesn't mean your abnormal. :tongue:

I would suggest that you find a calculator that gives you the closest BMR to what you have, and then go with that TDEE. (tdee is affected by your exercise as well as your bmr, so I wouldn't mess with it too much at first) You can tweak your numbers as you go. Everyone is really 'guessing' to some degree as to their tdee...the main thing is to choose one, be consistent with it and reassess your results every 6 weeks or so. (unless you are doing a full reset, then do the full 8 weeks at tdee, cut and reassess after 6 weeks of cutting.)
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've heard of applying a correction factor based on your measured BMR vs calculated BMR.