about to give up on EM2WL

I have a confession.

Its been 3 months, Im up 10lbs and I couldn’t have gained 10 lbs in muscle. I cannot handle this anymore, is EM2WL for everyone? I didn’t go through over a year of hard work to slowly go back to where i started.

Im eating a crap load of food all healthy, i am strength training and netting just above my BMR every day.

I’m so bipolar when it comes to this, or maybe hypocritical?

Im trying to stay positive, im trying to promote EM2WL but im getting sick and tired of it.

No stupid gym has any of my measurements so i can’t even compare those,

BUT HOLY CRAP DO I FEEL LIKE A FAST *kitten*..

I so badly want to go back to my 1200 cal 2 hours of cardio regardless of all the articles opposed to it.

Well, i need some support, i cannot do it anymore.

(if you look @ my diary, pointless, because i dont always have the correct nutrition values, for example i ate pizza with homemade dough and sauce from a ma and pop shop but used pizza pizza cals to make life easier, i also went camping with no money and all i had was a bag of chips and beer, its actually very bad example of how i normally eat, i can only assume im about to get a lot of hate on my diary)

Replies

• I'm new to this so I have no advice. I'm just wondering how your clothes are fitting? Years ago I worked out with a trainer and I did gain 7 lbs in muscle!
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    So you have eaten more for three months and no changes!! Ugh!! I feel like giving up sometimes as well but I keep hoping that soon something magical will happen for me!! Do you notice anything different? More streng, definition, ect?
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    What are you eating? 15% cut? 10% cut? Did you have a history of VLCD prior to EM2LW? Did you do a reset?
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    I must admit tho despite my questions Im like you and do wonder if its for all...but im doing a reset at the moment and early days for me :)
  • swingkid1975
    swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
    Hopefully some of the mods will chime in, but if you're just barely netting your BMR daily there's a possibility that you're still not eating enough. Are you/did you do the reset or did you just jump right to your cut value? If you've been eating VLCD for a while you may need to do a 6-8 week reset eating at TDEE.

If you don't mind, give us your age, height, weight and exercise routine and we'll run the numbers for you and see what you should be eating daily. How many are you currently netting?
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    I have to admit I feel like giving up on the eat more and resort back to eating low calorie, but then I don't want to ruin my metabolism =/ I have been at a plateau for several months and it is frustrating. I recently got a bmf and hoping this lil thing can help me out... we shall see. Sorry I'm not much help, just wanted to let you know you are not alone.
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    How are you estimating your exercise calories? You may be over-estimating, especially if it's an exercise your body is used to. You burn much less calories doing the same thing over and over again. So your TDEE may be a bit lower than you think. Just a thought.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Hello, sorry you're feeling discouraged. A few questions: over the past 6 weeks how many days did you net ver BMR? How are you calculating exercise calories? How long did you eat a VLCD?
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    I know you must be so frustrated, but with all due respect, you look great. Maybe your body is where it should be. Please do not lambaste me for saying that. It was a compliment. :bigsmile:
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    I am so sorry you are feeling so desperate and ready to throw in the towel. I am no expert here but I do know this. You need to know your numbers.

Start from scratch, today. Work out your numbers using the Scoobys site, figure out your activity level. You have to be honest with this. Now you also have to do your measurements today too. You need to know where you are at today.

Now comes the mini lecture. You have to accurate with tracking, there is no point in tracking your food if you don't use accurate numbers. Start today by setting your goals manually, with your new calorie numbers, your macros which should be 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. This is soooo important because the only person you are "cheating" is yourself. I don't know if you should do a full TDEE reset for 6 to 8 weeks or if you should go for the 15% cut. I will leave that advice for the experts. But I think the eating and tracking accurately is your downfall from teh information you provided here. Don't beat yourself up over it. We all do it at some point. Today just start over, you have that power to do this. Do not go back to the low calorie silliness. Don't hurt your body please. I know you will be happy in the long run.
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    No advice but you just scared the crap out of me. I was so skinny and I'm back to chubby and I'm freaking out, trying not to but failing. :(
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,374 Member
    If you could give us your stats: Age, weight, height, exercise each day and how long? Also, I am assuming that if you have gained 10lbs that you are doing the reset...Have you started the cut amount? Every time that you gain or lose 5 lbs you should recalculate your numbers as well...How far are you from your goal weight at this time?

Here is the recommended site to use but I can or someone else can run your numbers to find out what is going on once you give some information...This is a process and in the reset there is an initial weight gain b/c of eating VLC for so long and your body finally getting some food and not wanting to lose the fat until it trusts that you are going to keep eating...Does that make sense?

Plus, the main things are make sure your activity level is accurate and be patient and CONSISTENT...Make sure you are eating at CUT(-15%) or TDEE(Reset) every day even rest days...We are all in this together and will help you in any way we can...

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

You can use the site to find your numbers at your current weight or if you don't mind sharing your info we can do it for you to help you out...
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    I feel your pain at seeing the scale creep up 10lbs. :cry: It seems so contradictory, and if I were in your place (and still at the beginning of my journey) I would feel the same way, and would probably look at someone saying what I'm about to say as insane. But having lived to see the other side of it, I can tell you from experience, that 3 months is NOTHING in the grand scheme of your entire life. Especially if you want to win this battle once and for all..

But as for troubleshooting the gain (which I'm sure is the only part of this that you'll even WANT to hear, lol):
    ~How much cardio are you doing?
    ~What types of workouts are you doing, and have the workouts been the same the whole time, or changed?
    ~When was the last time you took a rest week?
    ~Are you weighing yourself under the same conditions every time (couple days off of lifting, moderate sodium, etc?)
    ~Is there something in your diet in particular that has increased that could be causing extra bloat water retention (dairy, wheat, gluten, etc)?

I know how frustrating it can be. It took me so many months before my body got back on the right track, that I'd pretty much given up, too.

And not trying to scare anyone off, but....I gained back every.single.pound that I'd lost up until then.

Straight up. This is not always gonna be a numbers game, and anyone who knows me, knows that I'm all about the real deal. I'm not gonna sugar coat it and say to that you may not keep that 10lbs or that all the weight is gonna magically fly off. I'm also not saying that it won't happen, either. But this is a mental battle. All mental. If you can stay strong in MIND, the rest can, will, and DOES fall in to place.

a few things to realize:

1) I'm exactly the same size that I was at my "fattest." Right now. But I'm about 5 sizes smaller, and look 10xs better (if I do say so myself, lol) :blushing:

2) We tend to get frantic when we start "gaining" during our reset and such, but typically any weight that is gained during the reset is the EXACT amount that you *will* gain ANYWAY, *regardless* of if you rode out 1200 cals til goal or did the reset. :noway: That's because if you ride out 1200 cals, get to "goal" then start eating normal, your body will still have the same reaction. Much better for your body to do the adjusting NOW, and see what you're *really* working with, than to be deceived by the false sense of security that low cals gives. Most people would need to actually go 5-10 lbs *below* what they think goal is, because once they get to "goal" they have to allow for weight fluctuations that happen to EVERYONE when they get there. :ohwell:

3) If you do drop back to 1200, then hit a plateau before getting to goal, what do you do? drop even lower? It's just so unhealthy, and I would pray that you would not let the scale have that much dominion over you. :frown: I know that it's hard to get to that point, mentally, where you don't care what the scale says, but it really cannot be your only dictator.

~Kiki
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    I realize that most of us are trying to lose weight here, but is weight really everything? I mean, when I was over 300 lbs & couldn't see the difference between 316 & 300 yeah, the scale was pretty much the only way I knew I was making progress. But as I continued exercising & setting/smashing fitness goals, I had tons of other reasons to feel successful. I've gone months without losing - & I don't mean staying at the same weight, I mean bouncing around in a 10-15 lb range above my all-time low.

But at some level I knew that managing my intake & exercising my body was still benefitting my health & I decided that was enough. Though I suspected I might be able to lose faster if I ate less, I was comfortable with the calorie level I was at because I was eating enough not to be hungry & the quality of my workouts wasn't suffering due to lack of energy. On 1200 calories, 2-hour workouts would SUCK BALLS. Seriously. Why would I do that when I can actually ENJOY my exercise?

To keep myself motivated during the times the scale isn't moving downward, I set fitness goals that require a training program to be met. I start training for my first duathlon in a week or two. If I weigh myself after my duathlon & I weigh the same (or even a few lbs more) as I do now, will I be crazy about that? No, of course not. But I will have completed a fracking duathlon!!! How can that not be awesome?

My point is, you can choose what the most accurate measure of your progress is. If you're putting in the effort & the scale isn't reflecting that, then why would you continue looking to the scale to tell you you're being successful? Just my $0.02.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    I realize that most of us are trying to lose weight here, but is weight really everything? I mean, when I was over 300 lbs & couldn't see the difference between 316 & 300 yeah, the scale was pretty much the only way I knew I was making progress. But as I continued exercising & setting/smashing fitness goals, I had tons of other reasons to feel successful. I've gone months without losing - & I don't mean staying at the same weight, I mean bouncing around in a 10-15 lb range above my all-time low.

But at some level I knew that managing my intake & exercising my body was still benefitting my health & I decided that was enough. Though I suspected I might be able to lose faster if I ate less, I was comfortable with the calorie level I was at because I was eating enough not to be hungry & the quality of my workouts wasn't suffering due to lack of energy. On 1200 calories, 2-hour workouts would SUCK BALLS. Seriously. Why would I do that when I can actually ENJOY my exercise?

To keep myself motivated during the times the scale isn't moving downward, I set fitness goals that require a training program to be met. I start training for my first duathlon in a week or two. If I weigh myself after my duathlon & I weigh the same (or even a few lbs more) as I do now, will I be crazy about that? No, of course not. But I will have completed a fracking duathlon!!! How can that not be awesome?

My point is, you can choose what the most accurate measure of your progress is. If you're putting in the effort & the scale isn't reflecting that, then why would you continue looking to the scale to tell you you're being successful? Just my $0.02.

Ok ...here goes. You get it again.
    Fist Pump!!

And of course ... What Kiki just said !

Jen
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member

Okay, I admit I joined the group just so I could agree with this post, 'cause it's SO AWESOME!!
  • Girl_Bomb
    Girl_Bomb Posts: 195
    Thank you everyone for responding, it really does mean a lot, it’s nice to see that people feel the same or are going through it too and have even worked past it.

I used Scooby’s workshop, worked out my numbers time and time again, although I haven’t with the last 5 pound gain.
    Height: 5’7
    Starting weight: 196
    Current Weight: 156-158
    Weight when starting EM2WL: 147 (which was my original goal)
    I’ve gone from a size 13 pants to a 7 (32 to 27 depending on pant sizing) BUT just had to buy a size 9...BOO.
    Last time I checked my body fat % was around 22-25 (idn how accurate it)

I use a heart rate monitor when exercising (usually count 100 cal for my weight lifting)

I’m currently working with a personal trainer and run/run stairs, in the past I have done a lot of insanity and turbo fire workouts, I definitely think my body responds better to HIIT workouts so imp going to add those back in. I follow routines and suggestions from the women’s health weight lifting book when not with my trainer

I have gained a lot of muscle, I know that, my legs are immaculate :P in the past 3 months I went from barely lifting an 8lb dumbbell to easy 15s lol

To my knowledge I didn’t do a reset, but maybe looking back I've been eating enough for one haha

I’ve just been feeling very craptacular about myself, but I definitely am seeing a lot of positives as I type this response, it’s all those years of poor self esteem coming back to haunt me.

I used to be scared of fat, all fat but now I welcome avocados, olive oil and almonds with open arms! So if anything EM2WL has taught me not to be scared of food.

And I no I shouldn’t listen to the scale but it really is a mind game, and hey, I’m pulling the age card, I’m 22 and I’m still learning! I definitely no that going back to those low numbers is not the answer and I am smart enough not to do it, I’ve gotten through it thus far and with all your support I no I can figure it out.

I think i responded to the majority of things asked, Thanks again everyone :)
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Girl_Bomb totally hearing you about the ready to give up :(

Unfortunately my BF% has gone up as well, my scale weight has maintained within about 1-1.5kg but i feel so damn pudgy, and my measurements i think are a tad higher now, but not really sure, i haven't done them properly. But my BF% has gone up about 3% :(

I have finished my HM program, so am now incorporating more strength based work outs, 2 days a week plus a kettlebell class over the last 2 weeks.

But yeh i ended up lowering my intake to 1680, then 1630, though i was still going over by about 30cals :laugh:
    It got to the point of me thinking why did i bother lowering them anyway, if i keep going over now! I had got to 1800cals a day.

So disillusioned about it all, but like you i can't go back to 1200calories, i really have no clue how on earth i survived on so little, especially when i was burning a minimum of 500cals a day! (HRM)

I ran my exercise schedule past someone to see if i was in the moderate or active range and they asked my other stats and said to set my daily calorie intake to 1400 and keep my workouts to under 1 hour a day, and 5 days a week.

But now reading the responses here i am again torn about the whole thing. I just can't quite shake that there is something right about EM2WL, even though it doesn't appear to be working for me :laugh:

The other thing that annoys me is that unlike a lot of others here i never did reach a plateau on the 1200cals and only had about 5kg (10pounds) to lose, but i can't go back to 1200cals because i feel so much better on the extra food and my workouts are stronger!
  • kay_bear52
    kay_bear52 Posts: 71 Member
    don't give up!

My whole life has always been about what that scales tells me. I will decide how my day will go by that stupid number. I have hate at 1200 calories, 900 calories and even at 700 calories just trying to lose weight and Nothing...not a lb...and felt my worst.

I stumbled across this site several months ago and said why not...nothing else is working.
    So I figured my numbers and have slowly started eating more. I never did the reset...maybe I should have...but again...that scale is very negative for me and I know I should throw it out.

I have lost only 5 lbs since I started this....When I started I was in a size 12...I am 5" 1/2 and am 40 years old. Now I can fit in a size 10. I really need to remeasure just to see what I may have lost in inches. Sure I would love to see that scale dip into the 150's. Actually it would make me so excited. But.....I haven't yet.

The biggest change...I feel GREAT! I'm eating 1450-1600 a day and Feel AWESOME! I have energy...I'm getting out and walking more...I'm never hungry. I love it.

So don't give up....keep trying...redo your numbers...and stick with it. If it is one thing I have learned....this is not a quick fix...it will take some time and depending on how much damage we did to our metabolism over the years...it may take a while.

hang in there. You have many people in the same boat with you but we will get there
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 344 Member
    i feel for ya girl! But you do look great! :love:

i can go from hopeful to hopeless in a matter of seconds: my skirt is tight, my vlcd friend lost another 2lbs, i read a "its not working" post....

but i remember how ridiculous it felt to not eat HEALTHY foods b/c they wouldn't fit in my 1200 cals. or when i'd have cheerios for dinner b/c i had a glass of wine. its just not how i want to live my life!!

the feelings of worry and failure have really subsided since my decision to stay off the scale for a while and i highly recommend it. its allowed me to have faith in myself & my body and has taken power away from a number (dont get me wrong id love to see that # go down)

you know what to do, stay strong!