NROLFW vs ChaLEAN Extreme...

Options
embersfallen
embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
Hey there my loverly EMTWL people :)....

Just wondering your thoughts on which is best while doing this program... I have done ChaLEAN Extreme in the past and loved it...but keep hearing all the awesomeness of the New Rules for Lifting.... really needing to get back on track with my strength training and would like some opinions from those who have tried them both! The one advantage for me is having a DVD to follow with ChaLEAN....sometimes I stick to something easier when there is a * program* of sorts to follow.....though there are some advantages to not needing a DVD as well...

Thanks my loverlies! :)

~Aimee :flowerforyou:

Replies

• bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    HI! I've never done ChaLean OR finished NROL4W, but i didnt want to leave ya hangin'

i started NR and quickly found that I wasn't able to push myself (by progressively lifting heavier & heavier) at home with the equipment i had. Not quite ready for the gym, i got Cathe Fredrichs Muscle Max video as suggested by KiKi and many here. I really like it.

Having said that, i still thought that NR's was an EXCELLENT read and it really solidified the philosophy behine em2wl for me. I highly recommend it!!!

never any harm in trying something new!!
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I haven't done either, but I just bought ChaLean Extreme and plan to start Monday (I am currently doing p90x).

I prefer to work out at home, but I need the guidance of a dvd to keep me from 'rushing' my workouts. :blushing: For those two reasons, (and the fact that I don't need a bunch of bulky equipment) I chose to do CLX over NROL4W. I've heard excellent things about both programs but for now, ChaLean won!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    im on stage 2 of new rules.. love it.

Depends on what equipment you have access to i guess.. you can do new rules from home if you have equipment, but its easiest in the gym. and i guess chalene is a DVD program? i dont know much about it.. sorry.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I read the NROLFW book awhile back and I don't belong to a gym so I figured it wouldn't be a worthwhile program for me to try, though I did like the workout plan.

I also know I have to be pushed to go heavier. I underestimate myself all the time so the CLX program has been amazing for me in that way. I'm attempting to go heavier with each workout and so far I've been very surprised at how well I've done! Plus, having a DVD that guides me and lays the entire program out for me keeps me structured!!
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I've done both and love them both. The difference is that I did NROLFW when we had a gym membership. You really need the larger equipment IMO. I love the Chalean Extreme program, too! It is super easy to do at home with a mat, and a set of adjustable weights from Walmart! I have the Gold's gym weights that go up to 25lb each. If you are a gym person, go with NROLFW. Otherwise, go with Chalean. Enjoy whichever you choose, as they are both WONDERFUL!
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I felt reading NROLFW's diet/nutrition section really helpful. Super similar to eat more to weigh less, but it felt good to hear of some of the science behind the madness :) I also didn't really "get" why macros were important or how muscle is formed or anything before reading it. So if you're interested in that sort of thing I think it's worth reading. I don't have a gym or any equipment right now so I found the workout plan a little bit impractical at the moment. But the second I find it in the budget I'm totally signing up for a gym with some weights. I really am sold on the importance of lifting now.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I haven't done either, but I just bought ChaLean Extreme and plan to start Monday (I am currently doing p90x).

I prefer to work out at home, but I need the guidance of a dvd to keep me from 'rushing' my workouts. :blushing: For those two reasons, (and the fact that I don't need a bunch of bulky equipment) I chose to do CLX over NROL4W. I've heard excellent things about both programs but for now, ChaLean won!

I completely agree with this!! I have the NROLW and read it but for me it was complicated and wasn't something that I could do at home..So, I opted for CX...I also like to have someone there to 'hold my hand' through the process and show me what needs to be done...Plus CX doesn't need any fancy equipment...For me, I bought an adjustable set of weights (which I love) and started from there...I am taking a break from it right now but can't wait to get back to it very soon...Best of luck to you!! :)
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I haven't done NROLFW but I have been doing CLX off and on for a year and have had great success. I have more muscle in my body now, at 30, that I ever have before. My only suggestion is to make sure that you lift heavy enough and make sure to increase your weight regularly, like very week. You will be so surprised at how strong you get and what you will be capable of.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input my loverlies! :) I think I will stick with CE for now then....as I prefr to workout @ home ( I have adjustable weights that go from 5-25, and then a set I can make 30-35) .... I love the gym, but the weight room is difficult to keep a continuous thing going as it is always crowded and you wind up sometimes with a lot of time between sets waiting for the next area you need.... Thank you all! I will keep New Rules in mind for the future :)