Is a reset mandatory?

how does one know if they need a reset? I had been eating 1200-1400 calories which was before my bmr of 15something. I had only been doing that for 30 days. The first 14 days I lost nothing. Then lost 7 pounds in the past couple of weeks. Yesterday I upped my calories to 1600 calories. Do I need a reset? I was trying to get up gradually to my 15% cut.

Replies

• trosewine
    trosewine Posts: 88
    It is not mandatory. The metabolism can slow with shorter periods of very low calorie eating, but usually takes at least 2 months or more to see a significant slowing as your body adjusts to survive in the severe deficit. Even then, with that short of a time eating that low, eating at your cut will likely bring you back to a normal metabolism within about the same amount of time (4-8 weeks).

Usually those needing to do a "reset" have been under-eating and/or overexercising for extended periods of time or what is considered "yo-yo" dieting. Starve, binge, starve, binge. It doesn't sound like that is your history....?

You're on the right track...keep doing what you are doing.
  • no haven't been dieting till these last 30 days. or previously exercising. Maybe some day if my weight loss slows I will do a reset but for now it seems to keep going. Even yesterday when I upped my calories I still lost a little this morning.
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    The reset is definitely not mandatory. Make sure you are at TDEE - 15%, sit there for 6-8 weeks, and if you get results, then you're good! If you gain and stabilize, (or just stay stable) then you may need to tweak the numbers a bit or do a reset.

If you lose for a bit and stabilize, do a diet break of a week or two, then drop back into cut. You shouldn't need a reset if you plateau after a loss at tdee - 15%. Try to make sure you take a diet break every 8 - 12 weeks to keep your metabolism up. :smile:
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 994 Member
    i didnt do it. .

just went straight to my cut.

from my understanding its best for those who have done very low cal for along time.

its a personal choice though.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    It doesnt sound like in your case a reset is needed. Make sure you use the correct activity level when calculating your calories however. 1600 calories sounds pretty low. If you could provide your stats I'm sure some of the wonderful people on here would love to help you come up with the right amount of calories! :)
  • It doesnt sound like in your case a reset is needed. Make sure you use the correct activity level when calculating your calories however. 1600 calories sounds pretty low. If you could provide your stats I'm sure some of the wonderful people on here would love to help you come up with the right amount of calories! :)

I am gradually working up to my 15% cut (1990). I was at 1200-1400. I want to go up 100 calories each week, that way my body doesnt just try to keep everything I am giving it
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    It doesnt sound like in your case a reset is needed. Make sure you use the correct activity level when calculating your calories however. 1600 calories sounds pretty low. If you could provide your stats I'm sure some of the wonderful people on here would love to help you come up with the right amount of calories! :)

I am gradually working up to my 15% cut (1990). I was at 1200-1400. I want to go up 100 calories each week, that way my body doesnt just try to keep everything I am giving it

Sounds like a great plan!