How Long To Reset (Kiki's Response)

Options
jyska
jyska Posts: 728 Member
For all of you trying to figure out what signs to look for when resetting as to whether you are ready to cut, here's a response from Kiki that I think will help you! :smile:

"4-6 weeks is minimum, 8-12 is even better. I did take 3+ months, because most research that I'd done showed that it could take up 6 months, and I didn't wanna chance it, & quit early. It's personal, which is why there is no definite time given. The whole point of the reset is for the individual to get in touch with their own body and understand it better. Most people will rush the process, which is fine, because, they feel overly bloated and full (& again, it's personal) The only thing to consider with that is that there is a high probability that if you're still feeling stuffed, you haven't fully reset. So as far as signs to look for, that was mine. When I went to cut, I had completely "plateaued." Meaning, I was no longer gaining and did not feel overly stuffed. I didn't have any more bloating, & was completely comfortable eating that amount of food. When people are feeling "relieved" at the thought of cutting, because they are looking forward to less food, it's kind of a red flag for me, that things aren't *completely* fixed. But, at the very least, they've eaten at higher cals long enough to give the metabolism a little boost, & if they take diet breaks every 6-10 wks, it can typically still work out fine."

Replies

• tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Perhaps this should be a stickie to help people find it in the future, too. Kiki explained it SO perfectly here!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing that with us. It sure is important.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Uh oh...not liking the sound of that 8-12 weeks too much...LOL...particularly because my weight is just now beginning to stabilize at almost week 6, and its not so much that I'm stuffed and uncomfortable, more that I'm anxious to start seeing results again.
  • CampinGal34
    CampinGal34 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank You! This answered sooo many questions of what to look for! Hit the nail on the head for me and now I'm excited to say that I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track!
  • curiousheathy
    Options
    Great info!!! It definitely makes me feel better about doing 8-12 weeks.
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    Hmmm....this makes me wonder if I am eating enough. I currently eat my TDEE according to my Fitbit. On most days I burn 1700-1800 and on work out days I burn around 1900, so I have been eating 1800 (+ or- 50). Besides a little bit of bloating at around the 4 week mark, I have never felt "stuffed" or uncomfortable. In fact, most days I feel like I could easily eat more.

What do you guys think? Should I trust the Fitbit?

Edited to add: I am actually not looking forward to the CUT...want the results, but want to keep eating everything that I am :smile:
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I'm still not ready to commit to resetting. I know I should, but...I can't. Not yet.
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1800 (+ or- 50). Besides a little bit of bloating at around the 4 week mark, I have never felt "stuffed" or uncomfortable. In fact, most days I feel like I could easily eat more

Edited to add: I am actually not looking forward to the CUT...want the results, but want to keep eating everything that I am :smile:

I am right there with you!!! I've just figured out my actual TDEE and I'm not quite looking forward to cutting so much anymore, lol.
  • evansrabbitranch
    Options
    Thanks this REALLY helps. I worried I was over doing it because of how full I have been feeling, now I know its normal and how to know I am ready to start cutting. THANKS!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....this makes me wonder if I am eating enough. I currently eat my TDEE according to my Fitbit. On most days I burn 1700-1800 and on work out days I burn around 1900, so I have been eating 1800 (+ or- 50). Besides a little bit of bloating at around the 4 week mark, I have never felt "stuffed" or uncomfortable. In fact, most days I feel like I could easily eat more.

What do you guys think? Should I trust the Fitbit?

I do trust my FitBit. It gives me readings that I burn around 2600kcal a day. I am quite active though. I had to increase my cals to 2600 as compared to 2400 from the scooby calculator. Even though I put myself in the strenuous exercise category.
  • hutchy90
    hutchy90 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting. Everything with EM2WL makes so much sense! I could never go back to 1200 cal/day!
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • seobstar
    seobstar Posts: 169
    Options
    good info! thanks for posting this!! I am in the end of week 4, going to head into week 5 here soon and I feel like I'm already at that point that Kiki was explaining (bloat is gone, totally do NOT feel stuffed, honestly feel like I could eat more on some days and I'm eating 2500cal per day, etc). I feel like my weight has stabilized....I haven't really gained any weight on the reset, just up and down the same 5pounds that I've been doing for months and months. I totally feel like my weight has stabilized, etc. But, I'm absolutely NOT starting my cut yet!! haha...I love, love, love eating 2500 cals per day and NOT gaining! I feel stronger and healthier and more energized than I have in years (on 1500cal per day). I DO want to shed the last 10 pounds of fat but for now I'm lifting heavy, eating at TDEE and waiting atleast 8 weeks total (about 3 more) before even thinking about cutting! Honestly, I don't even want to think about how much it's going to SUCK to cut down to 2200 when I do begin my cut....I'll probably starve to death! hehehe....how did I EVER survive on 1200-1500cal before EMTWL? I have no clue.....
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Thats interesting .... my TDEE is 2773 which i am eating....im only just over a week into it....i never really VLCD and dont honestly think my metabolism is really damaged and that kinda cements it. I gained about 2-3 pounds the first few days of the reset the last couple of days ive been holding still around 2-2.2 pounds....i dont have that bloated feeling (in fact appear to have lost close to a inch of my waist) and my clothes are fitting better...which makes me feel that i really dont need to do more then 4 weeks of the reset....it makes me even wonder if im just wasting time doing the reset and not really gaining from it.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't even want to think about how much it's going to SUCK to cut down to 2200 when I do begin my cut....I'll probably starve to death!

THAT is how I was feeling, lol. Going back to cut should suck, lol.... I DREAD cutting. And I only cut at around 8-10%, because I just CAN'T eat any less than that ROFL

Kiki
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    i having a hard time going back to the cut because all the food was soooooo good
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to cutting just because it means I can finally get the weight off.. I am not looking forward to losing about 400 cals a day to do it:)
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to cutting just because it means I can finally get the weight off.. I am not looking forward to losing about 400 cals a day to do it:)

This is me too!!! I am starting my 6th week of reset and love to eat more but I am so ready to start cut so I can start losing FINALLY!!! Can't wait...But I am gonna!!! :)
  • TonyaBtrfly
    TonyaBtrfly Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Daphnemomof9
    Daphnemomof9 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am so glad, after reading this, that I stuck with the reset. It was kind of inadvertently, my activity fell off a little. But, I had gone through a hungry stage and I'm back to a stuffed stage. I have to be very purposeful about eating regularly to get all my food in before it's late and I'm eating too much at bedtime and sleep stuffed. I don't like that feeling. TMI-I don't know if the returned stuffness is due to the constipation I've been experiencing and don't know how I'm eating differently than earlier. Confusing.