sooo unsure

hey guys! i would love some input. i have been playing with the numbers for quite some time, and can never quite make a decision so i was hoping to get some opinions from other em2wl members!

i use the scooby tdee calculator, but i'm not sure what activity level to consider myself. i work out 4x a week for a total of 8.5-10 hours a week. Not all of that time is "strenuous" activity. i do zumba, whic is obviously intense cardio, but i also do weights and pilates, which i don't consider that intense. outside of the gym i am not super active. i am a stay at home mom to 4 children which i know sounds like i must be crazy , but honestly i find myself not moving quite often i.e. sit down to change diapers, sit down to read books, sit down to feed bottles, sit down to play cars, sit down to fold laundry, etc.

i would like to figure out how many calories to eat on a daily basis, so i can really give this em2wl a good shot!!

also, how often do you do a re feed day? do you eat anything you want on those days, or do you still try to eat healthy but just an increased amount? do you go above tdee?

thanks guys!! i know i have a ton of questions, so i reallly appreciate your time!!!

xx shaylee

(please feel free to add me as a friend also. please just include a message saying you are from em2wl:smile: )

Replies

• Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Hey my dear, I am having the same issue with being unsure of my activity level. I would think you are at least moderately active though.

I want a fitbit, but I want to "rent" one because I just want to use it for a few weeks to get an idea of my activity level. Yes I workout 6 days a week, but I have an office job and spend a lot of time in the car driving my kids around!

Sorry, that doesn't help, but I totally feel your pain :)
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Based on how much you work out, you fit in the highest category. Even if you don't think all of that is "strenuous," the time you spend exercising is in the strenuous category. I believe most people here base it on time, not exertion. According to Scooby, there are two strenuous categories. If I were you, I would use a middle number of the two since the higher one definitely has a huge range. If you are not willing to eat that many calories, you may want to consider cutting back on the amount of cario you are doing.

Good luck!
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Hey there darlin!

Ok....first of all I think your workouts are CRAZY! You didnt know me back in the day when I was a cardio-aholic...I'm still in recovery, honest. Not really so much because I loved it but because I felt like I needed that because frankly, I like to eat.

If you look at your net calories, they are still way under your BMR which is never a good thing. You have come so far, and I am so proud of you. I think the next step for you is to switch your workouts around a little, less cardio and more weights. Right now I would say you fall into the highest category of activity on Scooby. However, I know those numbers are gonna send you runnning for the hills, so your alternative is to cut back on the cardio a bit. Honestly, when I first started cutting my cardio I was totally freaked out but I found I wasnt nearly as hungry as I had been (and thus less susceptible to binge eating) and I think the reduced stress on my body really helped me to get past a stall.

Also, I think it is probably about time for a diet break for you where you eat at TDEE for about a week or two. You dont change your activity level to compensate for this time. When you do go back to your cut, if you decide to go with the "refeed" method, you would take one refeed day every 3-6 days where you eat at or a little above TDEE. Basically, treat it like a cheat day, let yourself have a special meal out or something you are craving, but don't go crazy and binge all day.

What is your weight schedule like? Are you on any kind of a certain plan? Honestly, switching my focus to weights has been the best decision ever, and I have seen huge changes in my body even though the scale does not always agree, and my body fat is going down.

The Jamie Eason live fit trainer is a great program, and its free, you just go to bodybuilding.com and watch the videos. I think you would really benefit from getting on a heavy lifting program. I believe that's a 4 or 5 day split. You could always add some short (15-30 minute) HIIT workouts after weights (although she recommends a total break from cardio the first month...breathe...its ok...) and then add in your ONE day of zumba and your ONE day of yoga. There is no reason for you to be spending hours and hours in the gym! You look amazing all ready, and I think weight training would give you that desired look you are after. I could be wrong, but thats just my thoughts.

Basically, what I'm sayin is...you either need to eat more or exercise less!