Sweet as Sugar

Options
pammbroo
pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
Hi Everybody! New to the group and been doing EMTWL for about a week now. Feel good about my numbers and settings being correct so think I'm on track (and looking forward to seeing how this progresses for me). Have my macros set to 40/30/30 as recommended. My question revolves more about food choices...specifically fruits and sugar.

There are conflicting opinions (and sometimes heated discussions) here on MFP about fruit and their sugar content being good or bad. As long as you stay within the calorie and macro limits, is sugar an issue? I'm not talking about refined sugar from crappy food, but sugars from natural sources. Obviously some fruits are better than others when it comes to sugar content. Other than that, my carbs come mostly from beans, whole grains, etc.

Thanks for the help! :)

Replies

• mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I dont eat a ton of fruit, but I do enjoy some. I try to eat it earlier in the day,and/or around my workouts so I have longer to burn it off, but really as long as it fits into my macros, I don't let it bother me. As long as it fits into my macros,and I'm not eating many added sugars (including the natural ones-honey, evap. cane juice,etc.), I think its fine.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't see fruit sugar as something bad. I know some do-especially people who are following low carb. I personally do not follow this philosophy. I too think as long as you stay within your macros why not enjoy some of the lovely fruit out there :))))
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I dont eat a ton of fruit, but I do enjoy some. I try to eat it earlier in the day,and/or around my workouts so I have longer to burn it off, but really as long as it fits into my macros, I don't let it bother me. As long as it fits into my macros,and I'm not eating many added sugars (including the natural ones-honey, evap. cane juice,etc.), I think its fine.

This. I usually have a banana, sometimes I try to save it for the afternoon pick-me-up because of it's magical ability to give me energy. But I generally make a rule to not have fruit once I leave work, so no later than 3:30.

But I also agree that as long as you're within your macros, especially getting sufficient protein (which is something I'm forever working on), then you're okay.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Ah man I was 100% certain this was a thread about me by reading the title....

If your eating healthy, sugar is a non issue barring a health condition.

Fruits benefits far outweigh the amount of sugar in them. If you are eating healthy, within your macros for Protein, Fat and Cabs, your sugar intake falls right in line.

Dont sweat it.