Finding it hard to keep up` a strength routine

Options
osutuba
osutuba Posts: 40 Member
I'm training to run a half marathon, and I am having a hard time keeping a regular strength routine. I run 3 times during the week at a moderate distance, and once during the weekend for my long run (today was an 8 miler). My running feels a lot more natural when I add strength training, but I just can't seem to kick my lazy butt in gear to keep it going. Any suggestions? I lift low weights at high reps for upper body strength. For legs I run hills as well as use thera-bands to strengthen quads, hamstrings, gluts, and hips. I've been recovering from an IT band strain, so I still do the leg exercises every other day. I've also added a hatha yoga class into my routine which is helping with my flexibility (on top of my twice daily stretching).

Replies

• DoctorKyrina
    DoctorKyrina Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I suggest high weight and low reps. It takes less time, is more fulfilling, and will lead to better results. I've actually been hooked on strength training since I did that. I'm not entirely on the eating plan part of it (I'm doing the diet from New Rules of Lifting for Women for the diet) but I'm otherwise doing Starting Strength for now. It has squats, bench press, presses, deadlifts, and power cleans (which I'm not doing yet). It's not perfect, but it's a good way to get into lifting heavy.

And here are a few notes: It's ok to start with New Rules of Lifting for Women or another program instead. I'd have started with New Rules of Lifting for Women, but I didn't have the book and didn't want to switch programs when I just started one. Also, most of the heavy lifting books have an issue with long cardio, but people have incorporated marathon training into it pretty easily. I'm not one of them, but it's doable :)