Coffee

Options
mstorvik
mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
I just read that it has carbs... I had no idea. I drank 4 small cups with lunch, one large cup with breakfast and another large one in the afternoon yesterday! So I had 15 + 16 + 15 oz of coffee yesterday...

According to: http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips008.html

There are .8 carbs per 6 oz. I looked on MFP and the only coffee I can find that is black and has carbs is DD. I am going to use that one to log it now. Wow. That means I had 46 divided by 6 times .8 = 6.1 extra carbs

So be careful... my scale didn't move today - it actually went up a lb. Thought I would share!

Replies

• LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Even an egg has carbs. But that was a lot of coffee. No wonder you were saving you were wired.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Huh...I never thought coffee had carbs just what you put into it. I allow myself 1 cup a day thats it!
  • mstorvik
    Options
    But you all know that a cup is 8 oz, right? And it's 5 in a coffee maker. It's 12 when it's a small from a Starbucks or a DD.

Ever since I started low carbing, I have been tired.... so the coffee is helping me out...

But that was double what I usually have :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Thats why my husband and I choose to drink New England Coffee products out of Massachusetts...

We purchase ours in bulk from a vendor just outside of Manchester, NH... Hazelnut Creme, Mocha Mint, Chocolate Cappucchino are our favorite flavors..

When we go camping, the Breakfast Blend is soooo awesome to wake up to!

http://www.newenglandcoffee.com/coffee/health-and-nutritional-info/nutritional-info/coffee/flavored.aspx Aint it beautiful? And that is a 10oz reading, too!!!!!!!
  • mstorvik
    Options
    Ooo! I also respect them for actually labeling the thing with how many carbs. I hate it that when it's under 1 at all they can say zero.... ugh!!!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Ooo! I also respect them for actually labeling the thing with how many carbs. I hate it that when it's under 1 at all they can say zero.... ugh!!!

You can thank the USDA, FDA and any other government-related acronym for that... Im a firm believer that if it exists once you have 2 servings, it should still be indicated...
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I just read that it has carbs... I had no idea. I drank 4 small cups with lunch, one large cup with breakfast and another large one in the afternoon yesterday! So I had 15 + 16 + 15 oz of coffee yesterday...

According to: http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips008.html

There are .8 carbs per 6 oz. I looked on MFP and the only coffee I can find that is black and has carbs is DD. I am going to use that one to log it now. Wow. That means I had 46 divided by 6 times .8 = 6.1 extra carbs

So be careful... my scale didn't move today - it actually went up a lb. Thought I would share!

Girl, I drink that much coffee every day. It's bad, I know.

Didn't realize it had carbs but I'm so glad the plan I am following allows those "half" carb items to not be counted (unless I had all those ounces in one sitting!).

I've cut my coffee before for other "diets" and good lord it was not pleasant. :explode:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I like to monitor the carbs as much as anyone else but I would suggest that 6g of coffee carbs spread through the day would not have a big impact on your weight loss.

Considering consumption is generally offset by an increase in heart rate and movement AND it's not being consumed in one hit.

I believe the key is to keep the blood sugars low and insulin down (so the fat can be metabolised), I can't see that consuming coffee in reasonable quantities will impact this goal. Unless you are piling in the sugar ;)

Just my take anyway ...
  • mstorvik
    Options
    Well... I totally drank that much today... again :) I agree with it not being a huge deal, but when I wolf down over a carb of it... I like to count it. Plus, it makes me STOP drinking it. ha!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Well... I totally drank that much today... again :) I agree with it not being a huge deal, but when I wolf down over a carb of it... I like to count it. Plus, it makes me STOP drinking it. ha!

Hey, whatever works for you ... I've just had 2 cups to start my day, awesome :)