Ack! Soy!

hsrunningmom
hsrunningmom Posts: 134 Member
I know that soy is a big, big no no with throid issues. Until reading a recent posts, it never occured to me to check the foods I've been eating for soy. I keep asking myself how I could be so dense to make that connection. So, I have been investigating the food in my pantry and fridge. I am so disappointed with what I found. Items I thought would have been safe aren't. I'm going to have a lot of work getting all types of soy from my diet. Hopefully I can find some tastey alternatives.

Replies

• debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    It is very disappointing, isn't it?! My Ranch dressing will now have to be made from scratch. I did find a soy-free version, but now I can't have it because it has buttermilk in it... oh well.
    Hope your day goes better!:flowerforyou:
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    I think that food manufacturers need to be much more clear about the soy content of their products. Nothing pisses me off more to go and buy some MEAT and find out the #2 ingredient is soy protein!!
  • leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member
    Why is soy a big no-no with thyroid issues? My endocrinologist has never said anything to me about soy.
  • Marll
    There is abundant evidence that some of the isoflavones found in soy, including genistein and equol, a metabolize of daidzen, demonstrate toxicity in estrogen sensitive tissues and in the thyroid. This is true for a number of species, including humans. Additionally, isoflavones are inhibitors of the thyroid peroxidase which makes T3 and T4. Inhibition can be expected to generate thyroid abnormalities, including goiter and autoimmune thyroiditis. There exists a significant body of animal data that demonstrates goitrogenic and even carcinogenic effects of soy products. Moreover, there are significant reports of goitrogenic effects from soy consumption in human infants and adults.
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    There is abundant evidence that some of the isoflavones found in soy, including genistein and equol, a metabolize of daidzen, demonstrate toxicity in estrogen sensitive tissues and in the thyroid. This is true for a number of species, including humans. Additionally, isoflavones are inhibitors of the thyroid peroxidase which makes T3 and T4. Inhibition can be expected to generate thyroid abnormalities, including goiter and autoimmune thyroiditis. There exists a significant body of animal data that demonstrates goitrogenic and even carcinogenic effects of soy products. Moreover, there are significant reports of goitrogenic effects from soy consumption in human infants and adults.

Meaning, among other things, that soy can reduce the uptake of thyroid hormones... so do not take it w/in 3 hrs of eating soy.

Soy also falls into a category of foods called goitrogens. Those foods that can cause enlarged thyroids. There is a lot of debate right now about the actual effect of the enlarged thyroid from those foods.... one side saying there is no issue... and the other stating numerous health concerns as a result of the enlarged thyroid (ranging from becoming hypothyroid to nodule formation on the thyroid).

There are numerous recommendations on the amount of soy to have in your diet, if you eat it.... ranging from 30mg/day to 60mg/day..... however, I am not certain if that takes into account the other goitrogens that are in a person's diet.

There is a good primer, and description of both sides of the issue at this link: http://thyroid.about.com/cs/soyinfo/a/soy.htm
  • leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member

Meaning, among other things, that soy can reduce the uptake of thyroid hormones... so do not take it w/in 3 hrs of eating soy.

Soy also falls into a category of foods called goitrogens. Those foods that can cause enlarged thyroids. There is a lot of debate right now about the actual effect of the enlarged thyroid from those foods.... one side saying there is no issue... and the other stating numerous health concerns as a result of the enlarged thyroid (ranging from becoming hypothyroid to nodule formation on the thyroid).

There are numerous recommendations on the amount of soy to have in your diet, if you eat it.... ranging from 30mg/day to 60mg/day..... however, I am not certain if that takes into account the other goitrogens that are in a person's diet.

There is a good primer, and description of both sides of the issue at this link: http://thyroid.about.com/cs/soyinfo/a/soy.htm

well I'm already hypothroid and have been now for 13 years. I also have nodules but they haven't changed in size in several years. Thyroid is not enlarged.
  • piesbd

well I'm already hypothroid and have been now for 13 years. I also have nodules but they haven't changed in size in several years. Thyroid is not enlarged.

See, and that is where the debate comes in.

I eat soy, not as much as I used too, but I eat it. I also eat a lot of the other goitrogens.... broccoli, cauliflower, strawberries, spinach, etc... and have no issues. I have been regulated on the same dose for years now (okay, 3 years.... but still that is the longest I had been regulated) and routinely eat those foods with no effects to my thyroid. (one thing to mention is that cooking does inactivate the goitrogen affect, but not with soy)

However, there are those individuals that do have issues with it. So there are good and bad debates in the medical community, and I don't think that there is any clear cut answer at the moment.

I do however think it is something that one should be mindful of, and like any disease state, adjust how it is managed as needed.
  • piesbd
    BTW, my endo never said anything either.... it was my dietician that told me about it, then I asked my endo.... who then told me....
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    So do you think it matters that there is soy in GUM???? I mean, will chewing gum really be that horrible??
  • piesbd
    From what i understand, from everything I have read, is that it is recommended that you limit you intake to 30-60mg/day.... that being said... everyone is different. What works for one, may not work for another. I have a hypo friend who is vegetarian, and all she eats for protein is soy.... lots and lots of soy. She has no problems with it.
  • Hopeful656
    Hopeful656 Posts: 10
    I'm lactose intolerant and I do know there are alternatives to milk other than soy, but I find soy is the best tasting out of the other options.
  • Marll
    Probably personal preference, but I think that almond milk tastes way better than any soy milk I've ever had.
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    I prefer the coconut milk :smile:
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    I'm kind of bummed that there is so much soy in chocolate. I mean, I am by no means a chocoholic, give me caramel and apples and cinnamon desserts anyday, but sometimes I just want some chocolate - or....Nutella!! Nope, soy lecithin in that. Boo. :(