slowed down

Options
Butlavie
Butlavie Posts: 46 Member
Hello all..first off let me say thank you all for your post they have been a great help.
I am 7 weeks out now RNY and I have a couple of issues:

1. I am having a hard time with my food intake I don't want to eat so I have been forcing myself..Im still not quite up to 1 cup of food yet and my nutritionist says I need to eat more..lol never used to have that problem.

2. For some reason my weight loss has just stopped.. I'm working out almost everyday for at least 30 min....my clothes are getting smaller though.

just wanted to know if anyone experienced or experiencing this.

Replies

• crosa527
    crosa527 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am only 3 weeks, but from what others have told me, yes, the body needs time to catch up to the rapid weight loss, so it will stall periodically, but you will continue to shrink, lose, shrink, lose (I'm quoting minkakross from another post!)
  • JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Had RNY on 04/09/2012. Down 75 lbs so far. Started at 376 lbs. You'll have periods where you body will go "WHOA!" and try to hold on to everything. You wont lose pounds but inches during those periods. So far i've gone from a 44 jeans to a tight 38. And my brother is loving it....Cause he is getting the clothes i've undergrown.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 weeks out and working out 5 times a week for 45 min to an hour and spent the bulk of the last two weeks with no movement from the scale. It's frustrating but I'm doing my part and just trusting that it will all balance out in the end. I thought a couple of days ago I was past it when I lost a pound and saw the magic 200 number but now I've bounced back to 201 so I'm not celebrating my under 200 milestone yet...dang it I really want that 199 number so bad I'm wondering if I'm not just adding stress I don't need. Oh I suppose I could confirm that while the scale didn't move I have lost an inch in my bust, waist and hips so it's true about the body just needing time, I just want the dang scale to move some more and preferably soon.
  • Scribetoo
    Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a HUGE FAVOR and put the scale away for at least two more months.. Until I was 3 - 4 months out, I only weighed at the dr's check-ups. I took measurements and PICTURES and that was more helpful than anything. My nutritionist suggested it, actually.. she said my body will fluctuate too wildly in the beginning and it would probably discourage me to watch it too closely.

Here's the deal. Your body is GOING to lose the weight, regardless of what you eat or how much you exercise right now and probably for the next 12 months or so. That's a physiological fact. It's real. It's GOING to happen. This is your honeymoon period.

USE THIS TIME WISELY.

Examine your relationship with food prior to surgery. Know your triggers. Find other ways to deal with your emotions (because honey, you haven't even sniffed the bad news yet.. all those fat cells that are shrinking right now? They were holding all kinds of stuff .. INCLUDING HORMONES.. and that's all going back into your system... so you're about to go seven ways of crazy for the next few months.. warn your friends! It's a rollercoaster but it's worth the ride!). Get into the HABIT of exercising because you ENJOY it.. find things you like to do that get you moving and you enjoy because during this honeymoon period.. you CANNOT fail. You physically can not fail.

But seriously.. put the scale away. Like .. in a friend's trunk or something. Your scale is not your friend!

Stef
  • tlb346
    tlb346 Posts: 2
    Options
    Had Lapband 2/7/12 went from 248 down to 216 today but have been in the Slow down stage also, I know I have been not eating or exercising and need some encouragement so I guess I will try this. I recently had to have my gallbladder out and all the fluid removed from my band - 5cc to nothing - I could eat anything but actually lost 4pds - as I refused to put weight back on when I returned to my Dr. today. I now have 3.5cc and back on fluids for a day then soft foods for awhile while my stomach gets use to the band again. Anyway its time to get back on track......
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I agree! Step away from the scale! It nearly drove me nuts. I hit my first stall at only 4 weeks out...then another one at 8 weeks out. It is going to happen. I now just weigh once a week and I try not to let it mess with my head too much. The weight will come off...just keep working your program. I am a big believer in not pushing your food intake. Of course, my dr sent me home from surgery on a liquids only diet for 3 weeks post op. I could have shakes and strained soups and broth. I didnt move to soft foods until after my third week. The most important thing right now if getting in your fluids and your protein. I still cant eat enough food usually to make my protein requirements and still have a shake a day most of the time. (I am actually drinking one now) I have hit a snag since Friday I had to have my gall bladder out. My food choices have not been so great since then since my pouch is pretty sensitive right now. But I am starting to get back on track now I think and that fluid retention weight gain from surgery is finally starting to fall back off! Be patient...keep working it and you will do fine!
  • Butlavie
    Options
    thank you guys..I feel alot better....I was feeling like I was failing..I think deep down inside I had this fear of what if Im the only person who this doesn't work for..I know its silly...this has been such a major lifestyle change.
    Today at work I made a conscious effort to eat something every 2 hrs and dont worry about finishing it. To my surprise for the first time today I was actually hungry.
  • DrTerri
    DrTerri Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you for this post.. I am a week 6.. and I have lost 30 lbs so far.. but I had lost 75 before.. but then I crossed 100, and went back and it was driving me nuts.. i even bought a new scale... I am only weighing twice a week but it feels good to know I am not the only one going through this..

Thanks..

Terri
  • Scribetoo
    Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I think deep down inside I had this fear of what if Im the only person who this doesn't work for..I know its silly

Oh my goodness.. no, that's not silly at all. I think all of us at some point or other entertained the thought that WE were going to be the exception.. the only person whose surgery completely failed and didn't "take" -- Lord knows I did.

I had my Lap RNY in November of 2004 and I lost about 180 over the course of the first six years post-op.. then fell off my program.. stopped taking my vitamins.. haven't had my bloodwork checked since 2007.. so of course, I put a bunch of weight back on..

Do yourself the biggest favor since having your surgery.. build good habits NOW while you cannot fail. Don't get lazy. Pay attention and don't ever become ambivalent. This particular journey will NEVER end for you.. and you should rejoice in that. We will never be able to stop being vigilant about what we eat or in what order.. or how.. but remember, it's just a habit you have to change.. and if you do it now, while you're in this wonderful, golden time of pure success, it will make things easier for when the honeymoon ends.. and it will.

Be gentle with yourself. Be forgiving. Above all else, be honest.

You'll thank yourself for it.
    Stef
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I think your NUT is smoking crack. No way you should be able to eat a cup at a time so early out. Do not force yourself to do so. Eat every 3 hours. I still do this at almost 4 years out. The first month or so I actually stayed on protein shakes because food did not interest me.
  • ashleydavidmom
    Options
    Wow I never knew this I am 4 months out and going through this faze. Any incite helps.
  • pljohnson001
    pljohnson001 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    One of the notions my nutritionist keep harping on me about was to NOT eat past the 'full' signal. I wonder why your nutritionist would recommend your doing that? I would ask her/him that question.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    At 3 months out I find that the amount of food I can eat depends on what it is. If it is one of the "slider foods" like cream of wheat, soup, mashed potato or even cottage cheese..then sure I can eat a cup of it with no problem. If it is the lean meats that I should be eating instead with a little non starchy veg on the side then no...I cant eat as much of it. Thats why I limit the amount of foods that tend to slide through my pouch a little too easy. When I do eat those things I make sure to measure them so I am still accountable for what I am eating.
  • Butlavie
    Options
    Ive decided after reading all of your post just listen to my stomach and go from there..I think I was worried because I was not getting in very much but Im just going to continue focusing in on the protein which is the most important.
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    thank you guys..I feel alot better....I was feeling like I was failing..I think deep down inside I had this fear of what if Im the only person who this doesn't work for..I know its silly...this has been such a major lifestyle change.
    Today at work I made a conscious effort to eat something every 2 hrs and dont worry about finishing it. To my surprise for the first time today I was actually hungry.

I had that same fear 6 weeks post-op. My husband told me I was crazy. Hang in there.