GAH! Re-rack your weights, it's not hard!!!

Options
LollipopViolet
LollipopViolet Posts: 121 Member
Sorry, a rant, not aimed at those here.

In the gym today, the free weight room is a mess, plates EVERYWHERE. Plates I'm unfortunately not strong enought to lift.

The gym manager, a lovely lady, came in and started tidying up, so I offered her a hand. She politely declined my offer and said, "It comes to something when the only girl in here, is the only one to offer."

It's true. Every day, I have to struggle unracking a squat rack that's been left loaded with 45lb plates - not so bad, but they're above my head height, me only being 5 foot 2.

Seriously guys, pick up your stuff!

OK, rant over, I'm sure no ladies here are guilty of this messiness.

Replies

• juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    i thought this was just my gym. ugh. i hate having to unrack the squat rack...also especially since most of the time its about head height for me too (i'm 5'3"). sigh.

this is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    My gym is the same! I hate it when there is a flat bench in the power rack-3 steps away from the bench press. The worst is when you are waiting for the rack and some bro is done , but didn't re-rack the weights and when you go ask him if he is done , he offers to help get the plates down for you. I don't need help with the plates, I need you to clean up after yourself. End of rant!:)
  • Spooky_Rach
    Spooky_Rach Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    So it's not just my gym that happens in then :p.

The other thing that winds me up is up is people using the squat rack for things other than squats, seriously there's a whole free weights area, go do your deadlifts/babrbell rows/shrugs somewhere else I need the squat rack for squats. Doesn't help that there's only one squat rack in my gym.
  • DoctorKyrina
    DoctorKyrina Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It's really bad in my gym. In the month I've been a member I noticed the signs at the gym actually switched to refer to how bad it was. When I first joined, they threatened that if you didn't put the weights away they'd need to occasionally close the area down for cleaning. That idea apparently wasn't enough. Now they have signs (and a lot of them) reminding people that they have CCTV cameras and that they'lll suspend memberships if they catch you not putting them back. I really hope it works.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

The other thing that winds me up is up is people using the squat rack for things other than squats, seriously there's a whole free weights area, go do your deadlifts/babrbell rows/shrugs somewhere else I need the squat rack for squats. Doesn't help that there's only one squat rack in my gym.

you can always ask them to move if they do deads in there
    my gym is packed with equipment and finding 2 square meters to do deads is almost imposible
    so i do deads in squat rack, but if you tell me that you need it, i won't be jerk about it...
  • DoctorKyrina
    DoctorKyrina Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Mine is both good and bad in that they only have a power station (no squat rack) so the only place to get an Olympic bar at all is the same place for squats. I hadn't realised this wasn't normal.
  • classictoaster
    Options
    Ugh, I hate this.

One guy at my gym actually called someone out on it, and the other guy started LOUDLY cussing him out and telling him to mind his own business! What a snob. I made sure to give him a particularly dirty look. I can't de-rack a 45 lb plate above my head! BLUH.
  • LollipopViolet
    LollipopViolet Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    So it's not just my gym then!

We have nice, polite signs saying "If you're strong enough to lift the weights, you're strong enough to put them back" and also another more harsh notice about the fact they have cctv and will suspend memberships etc.

Neither works.
  • babycakes1970
    babycakes1970 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    In the short time that I have actually been daring to cross over to the "mens side" I have noticed this problem too. I was able to ift the weights off and re rack them myself but come on people! Re rack your own weights ! Your Mom does not work at the gym!

This is a very good reason to get your own bench and weight sets to use at home! I plan to try to do that within a few months. I have a whole garage to set them up in.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    This happens in pretty much every gym, unfortunately.