i need help please

I'm lost on how much I REALLY need to be eating. I am 30 years old, 5'3" and I weigh 155. I would like to get down to like 130 pounds or at least burn off a TON of this fat that wont seem to go away... I've been wearing my Body Media Fit arm band (its like a Body Bugg) for a few months now and its telling me I average about 2640 calories burnt TOTAL in a 24 hour period. But there are some days where my calorie burn for the day goes over 3000 total for the day (like today for example).... I am doing a 15-20 minute HIIT workout (from Turbofire) 3 times a week, and strength training ( chalean extreme) for about 35-45 mins 3 times a week plus running/jogging 2 miles 3 times a week (on my strength days). Ive been aiming for like 1750 calories a day...is that too much? Too little? Ive been stuck at the same weight pretty much for a year now and I am getting really frustrated...

Replies

• Jolie1971
    Jolie1971 Posts: 51
    I am not an expert on this at all and have stalled in my weight loss for a while like you.

Have you run your numbers on the scooby workshop site? I guess that is what I would do. Maybe you are eating too little for all the exercise you do. Hope someone can give you more guidance but that is where I would start. This is the site I go to for figuring out my calories as do a lot of people in the EM2WL group.

Good luck!
  • I did run my number on the scooby workshop site. This is what I got at 20% calorie reduction for fat loss..

BMR 1478
    TDEE 2550
    Daily calories 2040

Does that sound right? I put in that I get 5-6 hours a week of exercise...between my workouts and all the house work i do and chasing around my 3 year old and my 5 year old, I'm sure I probably get even more then that...lol So i guess my next question is do i just jump my calories up higher or do it gradually? To tell you honestly I am a little scared to do it :/ But I REALLY wanna lose some of this fat and get stronger and lean...
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    SO your BFM is telling you, that you are burning an average of 2600 cals a day, and you are only eating 1750?? That is over 33% of a calorie deficit. You are definitely eating too little.
    The numbers on the scooby site are great, however you have a BFM. That is way more accurate than a website can ever be. So if that is telling you your AVERAGE burn is 2600, then THAT is your TDEE value.

We recommend a 15% cut rather that a 20%.. 20 can be too big of a deficit and weight loss can stall much quicker than going a bit slower at 15%...15% Cut of 2600 is 2210. That is what you should be eating daily. That also accounts for your activity level, so you dont eat back any burned cals.
    EAT!!:)

Hope this helps lessen the confusion for you:)
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    SO your BFM is telling you, that you are burning an average of 2600 cals a day, and you are only eating 1750?? That is over 33% of a calorie deficit. You are definitely eating too little.
    The numbers on the scooby site are great, however you have a BFM. That is way more accurate than a website can ever be. So if that is telling you your AVERAGE burn is 2600, then THAT is your TDEE value.

We recommend a 15% cut rather that a 20%.. 20 can be too big of a deficit and weight loss can stall much quicker than going a bit slower at 15%...15% Cut of 2600 is 2210. That is what you should be eating daily. That also accounts for your activity level, so you dont eat back any burned cals.
    EAT!!:)

Hope this helps lessen the confusion for you:)

I agree. You are eating way too little. And if you are strength training, seriously consider throwing away your scale. Notice your strength and endurance gains, how your clothes are fitting, measure your BF%, and what the tape measure says in order to track your success.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    I agree with what others have said. If you have a BMF, don't even look at the Scooby numbers as you have the most accurate number you can get specifically for YOU!

It looks like Raynn1 already gave you your numbers based on a 15% deficit so that's what you eat on a daily basis, no matter whether you work out or you don't. No need to eat back exercise calories unless you go below your BMR.

I'm also doing CLX and TF so feel free to add me as a friend if you like!
  • Thank you all so much!!! I've really been struggling with this. I will up my calories and see what happens! My only other question is should i gradually up them or just dive right in?
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth....

I say just jump right in and do it. I increased my calories slowly and now, looking back, I wish I had just jumped in with both feet and got it over with. I kept losing and gaining the same 2 pounds until I finally hit my TDEE minus the cut and that's when I finally started dropping the weight. I can't help but wonder if all that frustration could've been avoided if I had just upped in one shot rather than dragging it out!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth....

I say just jump right in and do it. I increased my calories slowly and now, looking back, I wish I had just jumped in with both feet and got it over with. I kept losing and gaining the same 2 pounds until I finally hit my TDEE minus the cut and that's when I finally started dropping the weight. I can't help but wonder if all that frustration could've been avoided if I had just upped in one shot rather than dragging it out!

Yup, this. jump right in:)
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Hi!
    Just wanted to add something - I have a BMF as well.
    Run your BMF report for 7 days and get your average, seen as some days are 2600 and some are over 3000.
    Then run your report for 28 days if you have had if for a month already and see if the average is the same or almost the same as the 7 day average.
    Then from that average you subtract your 15% and you eat that amount every day. :smile:

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • Hi!
    Just wanted to add something - I have a BMF as well.
    Run your BMF report for 7 days and get your average, seen as some days are 2600 and some are over 3000.
    Then run your report for 28 days if you have had if for a month already and see if the average is the same or almost the same as the 7 day average.
    Then from that average you subtract your 15% and you eat that amount every day. :smile:

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:

thats a good idea!!! THANK YOU!!!! :)