Another am I doing things wrong question

victoria615
victoria615 Posts: 19 Member
Okay, I see this posts often on here and I'm sure all of you regulars are tired of reading them, but I am going to ask for input and hope you'll be be willing to help the 9 millionth person.

Lost some weight this time last year and then fell off the wagon in the fall, right through the holidays. I restarted MFP in late january, i think, and managed to lose 10 pounds through excercising and diet fairly quickly...but then like we've all heard before, I stalled out. I continued to do my cardio about 5 days a week for 30-40 mins, continued eating low ca, but not VLC....never netted under 1200.

I found this group and started reading, in fact I've been reading for about 10 weeks now maybe more, just never comment. I went to the scooby site and put in my numbers, I did an average between light active and moderate, as I work out about 2.5-3 hours a week, but I have an active 4 year old so, the weekends we're fairly busy....so I didn't want to go too low by increasing not enough, but now I'm thinking i should just drop to the light, as I still am not seeing "better" results after more than 9 weeks. I didn't do the reset since I never really did VLC.

I now do cardio 2 times a week, still at 30-45 min. each session
I now do the Chlean video, strength 3 times a week (which are 30 mins)
I admit that I NEVER make my protein goal, and I almost always have junk food daily, but I am always right around my calorie goal for the day.

I have gained 2 pounds (and i swear those 2 lbs are all at my stomach), and lost a band size in my bra (i'm not sure if it's really 2 inches though), lost 1 inch at the narrowest part of waist and I feel better and look better in my arms atleast...seeing some muscle, but my pants/short aren't getting any looser anywhere the legs, waist etc....so I'm thinking i should drop down to the straight light active...but I don't want to screw up if I should try to account for my active time with our 4 year old. And, if anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear those too.

Here are my stats:
33 years old
177 pounds
67 inches

Thanks!

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    OK, im getting for light..
    TDEE 2171
    BMR 1579
    15% Cut 1875

for moderate
    TDEE 2447
    BMR 1579
    15% Cut 2080

To be honest you would still be in the moderate category. A majority of people underestimate their activity, and you have an active child, who believe me helps you burn cals, even if it is not "exercise"...and since you are basically on the fence, go up to moderate, and stay there.

Second, it does not matter if you never netted 1200 calories before, you could still have been on a VLC diet. All VLC basically means is eating under your BMR. So if you just started eating at your Cut at around the 1900 cal mark, then it is possible you were still eating at a VLC level.

How long have you been eating at your cut? if it has only been a few weeks, then you need to give it a bit longer. If after about 6 weeks or so, if nothing has changed on the scale, then I would recommend doing a metabolism reset.

I admit that I NEVER make my protein goal, and I almost always have junk food daily, but I am always right around my calorie goal for the day.

This is also a big reason why you are possibly not losing as well. You NEED to work on getting more protein in, especially if you are working on building muscle and burning the fat. You NEED to start cutting out the junk. JUst because you are staying within your cals, doesnt mean its healthy for you. If all you are eating are empty carb or sugar cals, then of course the weight wont come off. If you open your diary up, then we can have a better idea of what you are eating and can help troubleshoot it better.

Hope this helps a bit.
  • victoria615
    okay, I opened my diary, so if anyone wants to look at it and give me some advice, I'll gladly take it. I do know I eat more junk than i should.

And, i think I'll go up to the 2080, right now I have my goal set at 1900 (which I just realized is not the average of the light and moderate activity), and try that for a few weeks. I did also notice in looking back for the last 90 days, I've not been very consist. So, I'll give it a few weeks, and see where I am.

Thank you for all your help!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Raynn has already given you wonderful advice.

I just had a quick look at your diary nd there are two things that I noticed at a quick glance

Your salt intake-you are almost always over. Try to cut down on your salt. Salt retains water and that can increase your weight
    The other thing I noticed is the Diet coke-artificial sweetener can slow down weight loss and they are really not good for your health. Maybe you can cut down there a bit too.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    From what I see on your diary, it is filled with processed, high sodium foods. You definitely need to cut back on the amount of these things you are eating.
    Im not seeing a ton of fruit or veggies in your days, nor any dairy. These are essential things to be eating as well. They fill you up without using a ton of cals, and your body needs the vitamins and nutrients from them.

Once your salt intake gets in line, you will probably find the water weight starting to lessen up.. Work on eating whole, wholesome, unprocessed foods, and drink your water in:)
  • victoria615
    Thank you both! I do know my sodium is always too high, but I guess I better start paying more attention to it. And, I didn't realize until you pointed it out, how much i've of what I've been eat is processed. Often, about half of our market bill is organic, but the other half isn't the greatest. I will get back to eating more fruits and veggies.

I will also try to work on decreasing my Diet Coke/Coke Zero habit.

Thank you again!