Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Simple question: what HRM do you use and do you like it? Looking for reasonably priced recommendations and where you got yours!

thanks!

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I use a Timex Zone Trainer with chest strap. It does feature a calories burned function but it isn't accurate at all (overestimates calories burned). I take whatever number it gives me and multiply it by 0.55, that's what I log in MFP's "Exercise" tab for cardio workouts. For weight lifting sessions, I don't use the calories burned number at all but instead use MFP's database default. I've read many articles and posts that say no HRM is accurate for weight lifting.

The only inputs are weight and max heart rate. I use the timer function during workouts which is also a limited feature because it only counts down, not up. And it can't do intervals.

I bought it brand new on ebay for $40 plus S/H for a total of $46.40.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and I like it. It has a chest strap and I use it a lot for weight lifting to monitor my HR for resting periods. During lifting my HR will get up to 150/160 and I wait for it to get back down to about 130 before I start on my next lift. I do this instead of timing my rest periods. It seems to be pretty accurate when walking and using the elliptical. I've heard that they're not accurate for weight lifting as well, but not sure how much I believe that.

Oh yeah - it was about $75 on Amazon
  • mom24littleones
    Options
    thanks,,,bump for more answers
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4. I bought it at Target for $99, I think. I use it for cardio, swimming and lifting. While HRM are not supposed to be accurate for lifting, I found that the calories burned were pretty similar to a website that was recommended, so I use it. I can't remember the site right now, but I will see if I can find it.
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hese is the website.

This site is really good for calorie calculation for lifting. I use the 0.039 for free weights. http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/
  • mom24littleones
    Options
    Hese is the website.

This site is really good for calorie calculation for lifting. I use the 0.039 for free weights. http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/

BIG thanks!!! I had someone about my age, size and lifting equal weights, tell me she burned 500 (according to her HRM) in our Barbell class today and I felt that that seemed quite accurate with the amount of sweat and huffing/puffing I was doing :) MFP said I would have burned about 290, which I thought seemed low...I will check out that site!
  • fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    That's a great resource, thanks for posting.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar Ft4. I got it on Amazon for cheap. I think I paid about $60. It is super simple and I wear it everytime I work out.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Hese is the website.

thanks for this I use a polar ft7 which roughly puts 30mins stage 1 for me at around 200 so I will check it against this website :)
  • allieguerra22
    Options
    I have a Garmin FR60. It has a chest strap and a foot pod for distance. I like it a lot. It was around $100.