RMR vs BMR

TikiTanya
TikiTanya Posts: 17 Member
I did the Bod Pod last week and it came up with a RMR that is lower than what i had always figured my BMR using calculators. I am having a hard time grasping the difference between the two- RMR and BMR. Should i eat back to the new RMR # if i have a big calorie burn day....confused now

Replies

• Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    Here's probably the easiest explanation of the two that I've ever found:

RMR is the number of calories expended per unit time while your body is at rest. The higher your RMR, the more calories you burn in a day. (this would be during times such as when you are watching TV)

BMR is the minimum energy needed by your body to perform its normal functions. It takes energy (calories) to maintain your breathing, circulation and body temperature (this would be like if you were in a coma).

RMR and BMR are similar and yield extremely similar results. For all intents and purposes, both are estimates of how many calories your body needs if you choose to do nothing all day long but breathe. The calories are needed as energy to pump and circulate your blood, keep your heart beating and maintain your body temperature.

So basically, if you had your RMR tested and use that as your base to keep your NET over, that would be fine! :smile:
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Don't be confused - they are actually basically the same. Both are estimates of how many calories would be burned if you did nothing but rest for 24 hours. The calculators we use are estimates based on age, weight, height. When you go out for testing - as you did - the tests are "hands-on" to you. The difference lies in how those tests are done, see below:

•BMR stands for Basal Metabolic Rate, and is synonymous with Basal Energy Expenditure or BEE. BMR measurements are typically taken in a darkened room upon waking after 8 hours of sleep; 12 hours of fasting to ensure that the digestive system is inactive; and with the subject resting in a reclining position.
    •RMR stands for Resting Metabolic Rate, and is synonymous with Resting Energy Expenditure or REE. RMR measurements are typically taken under less restricted conditions than BMR, and do not require that the subject spend the night sleeping in the test facility prior to testing.

So! To answer your question - I'd use the RMR data that you got from your BodPod test . Any test or tool (such as a BodyMedia or Body Bugg) that actually touches YOU (uses your actual data vs. an estimate) is more accurate.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,374 Member
    Great question and really great advice from BOTH of you!! I didn't know this answer myself and it's good to know!! :)
  • TikiTanya
    TikiTanya Posts: 17 Member
    Yes, thanks ladies. 1262 was my calculated RMR by Bod Pod and I will make sure to always net that. I was trying to always net closer to 1450. Less eating- boo ;)