Sistas that Swim

Options
DrJackson6
DrJackson6 Posts: 156 Member
Does anyone here swim? If so, how do you take care of your hair to prevent breakage and keep it healthy? I purchases this My Swim Cap Diva which is supposed to keep the hair dry; it does not live up to all the hype. My hair was still wet. Any suggestions or ideas would be great!

Replies

• cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Try this.
    Get your hair wet and put conditioner in it before you put your cap on. Hair is like a sponge in that once it has absorbed all it can nothing more can get into it. If your hair is full of conditioner, clorine will have less of an impact on it.
  • DrJackson6
    Options
    I have tried this method but my swim cap constantly comes off because of the conditioner. I read somewhere about using coconut oil because the conditioner is water soluble and will rinse off in the water. Coconut oil makes sense but seems like the hair will be greasy and washing everyday causes another problem with breakages and dryness.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I have tried this method but my swim cap constantly comes off because of the conditioner. I read somewhere about using coconut oil because the conditioner is water soluble and will rinse off in the water. Coconut oil makes sense but seems like the hair will be greasy and washing everyday causes another problem with breakages and dryness.

Maybe you could try braiding it up with the conditioner in it. and lots on the ends of course. Perhaps the texture of the braids will help the cap to stay on
  • akiss4u2tam
    Options
    Saran wrap! Wrap your hair if you can then shove it in the swim cap... it works.... I have an afro.... I mangage to shove mine (while wet) inside of a small speedo swim cap.... I wash my hair everyday that I swim and I use Cantu leave in conditioner.... I live in the desert so everything gets really dry.... Between the sun and chlorine my hair should be yellow.... Thank god it's not!!!! my gray is very white. I hope this helps.
  • DrJackson6
    Options
    Thanks, a kiss. I will give that a try
  • arserine
    arserine Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Make sure to use good shampoo and conditioner after you swim. Every single time. The difference between members of my team who use the good stuff, and those that use the dispenser on the wall in the shower is just insane. One guy's hair would only stick straight up and lost all its color, and all the women's hair was really fine, even with swimming once or twice a day for months.
  • sistatv
    sistatv Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love the saran wrap idea!! I'm totally going to try that... Do you put conditioner on before the saran wrap??
  • akiss4u2tam
    Options
    No conditioner... the Saran Wrap would slide off.... if you need to... wet your hair with water.... no need for the extra conditioner... you can see I wear an afro.... I swim 3 to 4 times a week... my hair is doing quite well...
  • hgreen4237
    Options
    I love swimming and I do it as often as I can. One of my secrets to swimmers hair is conditioning. I make sure to do a leave in conditioner before I go swimming and I do a leave in conditioner after my regular wash/conditioner. This helps to prevent breakage.