appetite!?!?!

Options
Butlavie
Butlavie Posts: 46 Member
How long did it take for your appetite to increase after surgery? Just wondering

Replies

• puttingmyselfoutthere
    puttingmyselfoutthere Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am almost 8 weeks out and I still don't have much of an appetite until I force myself to eat.. then I feel hungry while I am eating but not all day! I kind of hope that it stays like this!
  • crosa527
    crosa527 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My appetite is all weird. I am 3 weeks out and usually in the morning I go hours before feeling hungry. Then it seems once I eat, I am hungry again soon after. Like I just ate 1/2 a banana, I know that should be all I can take, but I feel like I am still hungry. When I eat more, then it hurts. I am hoping that I can relearn some normal signals.... soon!
  • Butlavie
    Butlavie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Its weird Im starting to eat something every two hours per my dietitian advice because my body was going into starvation mode because I didnt get any signs of being hungry so if Im not aware I will go all day without eating. Whats funny is when I start to eat then I realize Im hungry.

Also can you feel your stomach emptying out the food..hate it I can!!
  • puttingmyselfoutthere
    puttingmyselfoutthere Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    ooh I never noticed.. I will try and pay attention to it today :)
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am over 3 months out and some days I have it and some days I don't. Yesterday I only got 300 calories in cause I was busy and not hungry and I wasn't paying attention.
  • romyker
    romyker Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am only 2 weeks post RNY and I'm starting to notice what I believe is hunger. A friend who had this surgery a few years ago said that the nerve that signals hunger gets cut during the surgery so I shouldn't feel hunger at all. I forgot to actually ask the doctor if this is true (I'll ask at my one-month follow up visit), so I don't know for sure. I just know I hadn't felt hunger at all until yesterday. Now it seems I have to have something at regular intervals (every 3-4 hours). Now I'm worried about this negating the purpose of the surgery...
  • pljohnson001
    pljohnson001 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 weeks post RNY, and I believe I'm experiencing hunger. For me, my MIND's hunger is massive, so I know part of it is simply the habit of eating at certains times of day or my taste buds kicking in in reaction to a smell. That said, I'm also feeling physical hunger to the point that my stomach is growling. The major difference post RNY is that I may think I could eat the entire kitchen, but I simply cannot. I find the 2 Tbsp of allowed grub leaves me as full and satisfied as I used to feel after multiple trips through the buffet line. (I know what you're saying about 'negating the purpose of the surgery' as if your appetitie has not been lessened. There have been others on this forum who expressed the fear that they were the only one for whom the surgery was a failure.)
    So far, I find that being sated with so little is the miracle of the surgery, in my opinion. Of course, the rapid weight loss is also a miracle as I did the liquid diet and worked out and STILL only shed 18 pounds in three months. The speed at which my body changing now is fabulous.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I am one week out from LapBand. yesterday it felt like I grazed all day. Today - I fixed a protein drink at 10am and I am still full after only drinking 4 ozs... Re-learning this stuff is going to be challenging... And since I feel so full - my water comsumption is WAY down too today... But my tum does not want anything else right now... Gotta get some liquid in me....
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I am 3 months out and I am now starting to actually get real hunger signals if I havent eaten in awhile. It isnt really the stomach growling that I used to have...but more of a dull ache and sort of light headed feeling. My "head-hunger" came back really early though! Unfortunately the surgery does shut that demon down...it is still a fight. At the the good thing about it is that if I do give in to a snack it is usually a healthier one now and only a few bites. I do have to stay away from trigger foods still though. No potato chips allowed in this girls house!
  • Gahummingbyrd
    Options
    Around 6 months:sad:
  • jlynnet
    jlynnet Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am 9 years post RNY. I had surgery when I weighed in the high 380's As they say I lost the majority of my weight the first year. I don't recall ever being hungry (other than cravings.) Simply 'cause at almost 400lbs I never really learned what that felt like. My surgeon and his team yelled at me all the time post op that I was eating to much - a whole 1/2c six months out not a 1/4c like they wanted! But I could never manage the amount of protein he wanted in the small sizes that he wanted me to take in so...
  • melisa_schow
    Options
    June 21st I had my RNY, and some days I can get in 300cal and some days 1000cal... it is the water I am having troubles with... I can't seem to get in the amount they want, AND still get some food in there :))