HELP-Turning lactose intolerant?

Options
Ruh Roh - I've been a vegetarian for a year and a half and as of late have been eating fairly clean with VERY limited amounts of animal product. I'd say I eat about 95% vegan with an occasional scoop of ice cream at night or some cheese on the weekend. BUT I ate a large serving of chocolate ice cream this weekend and got sick to my stomach (gas, cramps, etc) and I ate some goat cheese at lunch today and am feeling SO sick.

Could I be turning lactose intolerant at the age of 23?!

Replies

• runcrissierun
    runcrissierun Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That happened to me just after my son was born. You can certainly become intolerant of foods - and since you've been mostly vegan and are occassionally reindroducing an animal product into your diet, that could be a cause as well. Good luck.
  • SweatinSammie
    Options
    thanks for the insight!
  • ChristieEarley
    ChristieEarley Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I suggest switching over to Coconut, Soy, or Almond milk ice creams for a little while. A fitness instructor informed me that you can develop food allergies to Coconut, Soy, or Almond milk over time if you don't alternate them out, so I figure the same would go for cow or goat milk.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience recently...over the holidays I had some dairy after not touching it for several months, and I had severe stomach cramps as well. I figure it was my body telling me not to eat it anymore
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    From my experience when I've been eating clean for about 2 straight weeks and then I try to eat something unhealthy my body reacts to it right away. Last time I drank a Coke I felt like there was battery acid going through my digestive system. When I used to try drinking milk I would get the runs and cramps.
  • NCGOALIEMOM
    NCGOALIEMOM Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    From my experience when I've been eating clean for about 2 straight weeks and then I try to eat something unhealthy my body reacts to it right away. Last time I drank a Coke I felt like there was battery acid going through my digestive system. When I used to try drinking milk I would get the runs and cramps.

True that! When I eat a 100% raw vegan diet, then eat something that is still vegan, but cooked, my body rebels with all kinds of gastro distress.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options

True that! When I eat a 100% raw vegan diet, then eat something that is still vegan, but cooked, my body rebels with all kinds of gastro distress.

Have you watched the documentary "Forks over knives"? They mention how cooked or pasteurized foods have no live enzymes so your body doesn't recognizes the foods and reacts as If it ingested a foreign object.
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that when you cut out dairy, your body stops producing the digestive enzyme Pepsin for the digestion of lactose. Almost everyone will become lactose intolerant after cutting out dairy, and it's not a bad thing.. it's the same way all mammals are weaned as infants.
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Your body is telling you that it doesn't want toxic dairy anymore! This is a good thing!
  • Metallux
    Metallux Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that when you cut out dairy, your body stops producing the digestive enzyme Pepsin for the digestion of lactose. Almost everyone will become lactose intolerant after cutting out dairy, and it's not a bad thing.. it's the same way all mammals are weaned as infants.

no this is correct! if you stop consuming diary as an adult your body will stop producing the enzyme to break it down and you could be come lactose intolerant.