Increasing weight fears! >_<

Options
bms34b
bms34b Posts: 401 Member
I've just finished up stage 1 and have repeated a few workouts so that when I get back from an international trip in a few weeks, I can start with stage 2.

I've noticed that a lot of people are bumping up weights much quicker and higher than I am! I feel apprehensive about making the weights too much since I'm at a home gym and don't have anyone to spot me. Is this going to really change my results enough that I should consider working out at a gym with friends to spot? Sigh. I was feeling really good about improvement but now I'm feeling like a wimp!

Replies

• girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    if you are reaching fatigue towards the end of your reps then you are fine, if when you finish the reps you could still probably do more then you need to bump the weight up, you have to force your body to progress.

Do you have a squat rack/stands at home?
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    if you are reaching fatigue towards the end of your reps then you are fine, if when you finish the reps you could still probably do more then you need to bump the weight up, you have to force your body to progress.

Yep. Go at a pace you feel comfortable with, but it is true that you ought to be trying to increase weights every time <-- that's what the book says, and it's not literal, just a general guideline.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,987 Member
    Options
    rule #1 - don't judge yourself by other people's progress.

rule #2 - see rule #1.

Go at the pace you are comfortable at - form is ALWAYS more important than anything else. (Some other posters may have wickedly poor form - that they would NEVER post about - and therefore they will end up injured at some point....going up in weight with BAD form!)

If your form is good, and you are NOT feeling exhausted at the end of your last rep, then you need to increase your weight. If your muscles have worn out, at the weight you are at, then you just aren't quite ready to move up - maybe try a couple more reps at the end of each set just to help those muscles along.

PS - although this book can certainly be done at home, I just don't know how the home-doers actually do it. I am at the gym and even there, sometimes the equipment is pretty complicated and I'm glad I can ask a gym employee to help with a spot or a form-check.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb, as Beeps says, only go as heavy as you can do with good form and feel confident you can do alone. I use the squat rack at my gym so I feel confident adding weight. When you lift wrong, your body lets you know real quick especially at heavier weights.