Yummy, Crispy & Low Fat Tuna Patties made with Oats

Options
new_blossom
new_blossom Posts: 111 Member
There are different ways to make tuna burgers, and I came up with something tonight that my husband and I really enjoyed. They were flavorful, crispy, and very easy to make. I would actually prefer Tuna Patties or Veggie or Turkey Burgers over ground meat any day. Ground meat does not agree with me and is not all that healthy as we all have learned. I do not miss ground meat at all since I have started watching what I have been eating the last 3 weeks.

Prep and cook time approx 30min.
Yield: 1 pouch will make 2 4.5" patties and 2 2 1/2" (or if you want a larger patty, just make 2 large)

INGREDIENTS:
-1 pouch of Tuna 6.4 oz package (Walmart great value is good)
-1/8 cup Italian bread crumbs (this is to add flavor with the seasonings, you can sub planko or add more oats and add your own Italian seasonings if you would like)
-1 cup of dry oats, ground in a processor to make finer grain (1/2 cup for tuna mixture, 1/2 cup set aside on a plate)
-1/8-1/4 cup egg white (i used in between these two amounts)
-couple of green onions (chop fine)
-1 stalk of celery (chop into small pieces)
-1/4 cup of yellow onion (chop into small pieces)
-couple of squirts of lemon juice (I keep the little bottle of concentrate in my fridge, you do not need it, but it does add flavor)
-salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
- 2 tblsp. Olive Oil (oil of your choice or you can try pam spray or a george foreman may work)

After you have processed your oats and set aside 1/2 cup of the oats on a plate, you will then add tuna, 1/2 cup of the oats, bread crumbs, egg whites, chopped veggies, lemon juice, and seasonings in a bowl. Mix it all up. It should be chunky and a somewhat thick, but not so thick that it is hard to stir. It should all be moist. If it is too dry, you can add a little more egg white.

You will now add the mixture into a food processor. I have a mini chopper that I use all the time for this type of thing, and it works perfect. You want to get everything blended nicely, but not so much that it looks like paste. You just do not want a chunky mixture because it will not hold together when you cook it in the pan.

While doing that last step you can get your pan heated with the OO. Form your patties into a burger shape and dust the outer patty with the oats you have placed on the side. This will help give a crispy texture to the outside. Place in hot pan and let cook until golden crispy on both sides.

We ate our patties plain with grilled veggies on the side, but you can add yours on a bun or pita of course.

Enjoy! :drinker:

Replies

• aluvsj
    aluvsj Posts: 27
    Options
    This sounds really good. I love recipes that use tuna in other ways than just the standard tuna salad or tuna noodle casserole.
  • isis2triple0
    isis2triple0 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hummmm this sounds good ok I think I will try it for lunch today!! Thanks hon!!
  • new_blossom
    new_blossom Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    YW! Let me know how yall like them.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Thank You for posting this recipe. I have only cooked Salmon patties but I will try Tuna next.