how is everyone doing?

Options
maidofstone
maidofstone Posts: 62 Member
Hi,

Just wondered how everyone is finding it so far? i'm feeling really positive at the moment, i'm not expecting to lose in the next couple of weeks because i've starting exercising and i ALWAYS seem to put on at first when i do, then after a couple of weeks i start losing again. I will just have to use MFP to keep me going and get some encouragement at those times, because when you don't see weight loss its easy to give up.

I am looking forward to being a few weeks in and really seeing a difference, i'm so glad i found this site though it is really helping me stay motivated, seeing everyone else's success and how well people have done is a massive help.

I'm finding my down days easy so far, hopefully that will stay the same, and i really look forward to my up days, my only thing i'm struggling with is my water intake i don't like water so i'm having to force myself to drink it, i do drink quite a lot on down days to keep me going but its not easy! hopefully i will get used to it.

Hope everyone else is doing o.k, let me know how you are doing

Julia x

Replies

• 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Hiya!
    I'm feeling pretty good too. I had my first down day yesterday and stayed under 500 cals so pretty pleased. I have set my MFP to loses 0.5lbs per week and it gives me similar numbers to JUDDD if I eat back my exercise calories.
    I'm going to do the Biggest Loser DVD this afternoon. It is the best workout so far that tones my whole body and its only 20 minutes so the kids don't get too fed up (I have 4 of them)
    I stepped onto the scales this morning (day3) and I've lost 4lbs. I hope it stays off. 4lb loss on week one would be a big motivator!
    Now all I have to do is plan my eating to spread all of those delicious calories out for today........yummy!
  • maidofstone
    Options
    Glad you are feeling good, i can't believe how good this site is and free! i did WW once online, it was a monthly payment and was nowhere as good as this.

Well done for doing your down day and sticking to it, how are you logging stuff on here? i'm only logging my down days at the minute as my up days go way over what is recommended on MFP, do you think its o.k to do it like that?

The reason i like this diet is because i don't have to count cals all the time so i don't really count on up days..do you think i should?

So the biggest loser dvd is good then, might have to have a look i've never found one that doesn't get on my nerves after 2 times of doing it! i normally do the ea active on playstation its quite good, however try fiddly to set up when you have 3 kids so could do with a high intensity short workout, might have to try the biggest loser.

What ages are your children? i have 3 girls an 8 year old, 3 year old and 8 week old! so its a mad house! x
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Hiya. My Oldest daughter is 4 years old and my youngest daughters are 3 years old. It can be tricky but I find a way :)

I like the biggest loser bootcamp because its Bob not Jillian and I also like cardio max from the same series. I agree about the presenters being annoying but once you get over the cheesiness of it all then Bob can be quite..............erm.......appealing!

Today is my 2nd down day and I am in a really good place about it. The scales even showed a loss this morning after my up day of over 2800 calories! I love this diet!

You don't really need to start logging your food until about week 8 when something biological kicks in and your metabolism starts to increase. That is when you need to make sure you are eating on target or a maximum of a couple hundred cals below or the diet stops being so good. Either way you must be sure not to go over your allowance on the down days. Mine is 520cals.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Haven't quite dialed into the down days yet. Working up to it. We have been hosting family for their vacation so it is a bit tricky to get rolling. Try again on Friday to bring it down.
  • nainaa22
    nainaa22 Posts: 33
    Options
    This group has gotten extremely quiet! Updates anyone? How's the progress going? For me it's not bad, I guess being busy distracts me from food. But I find it hard eating on my updays because it seems that I have lost my appetite, but I try and maintain that the best! Now that the first couple of weeks are over, it's easier. Good luck.
  • maidofstone
    Options
    Hi lemon squeezer : ), well i had a bad week last week and went completely off track, but i'm back on again now and its the 6 week summer holidays so while my kids are off i'm determined to use that time to get fit and lose weight, like a little mini challenge.

I find i'm not quite as hungry as expected on up days, but once i have breakfast my appetite seems to come back.

How are you doing with the weight loss? do you weigh in weekly? x
  • nainaa22
    Options
    Hi,
    I am a vegetarian too, and although that should be healthier, I end up eating a lot of carbohydrates and I have a sweet tooth:grumble: ! But it's been going good with the alternate day fasting minus a couple of lapses here and there. I don't do weekly weigh-ins because I think that would just discourage me or put me off, because I don't really see big changes after 1 week, so I tend to weigh in every 2 weeks. My mum is going to visit soon and I am afraid she is going to go mad over this new eating habit, and she will try to plump me up with food. So that's a big thing, perhaps if I can convince her that this is healthy it might not be that bad.

Anyways, glad you are on again! 6 week summer break sounds great, it's good you don't have any distractions. How much have you lost since starting this? For me, I think it's been less than 2 kg which is around 4 lbs or less.
    Good luck.
  • maidofstone
    Options
    Hi,

I know it should be really heathy being vegetarian! i'm not too bad with junk, but i eat loads of pasta and stuff and LOVE cheese! I think i may do what you do with the weighing thing, because it will be way more encouraging to see that little bit extra loss

It's a hard one with relatives and stuff, my fiancé wasn't too happy at first about it thought i was just following some crazy thing i'd made up! but he's used to it now and can see that i'm not starving or unhealthy . hopefully your mum will understand when you explain : ) although i'm a mum myself and can imagine worrying bout stuff like that with girls!

The first time i did this diet i lost loads in the first couple of weeks, like 4 lb then 3 then 2 it was going great, then i fell pregnant ; )

i stopped obviously and have started again now after baby, but its coming off a lot slower for some reason, i've only lost 2 lbs ,a pound a week : ( i'm going to keep going though as i think it could be because i'm exercising this time round .

good luck with it and with your mum! x
  • jba09a
    jba09a Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi group - total newbie here.

I stumbled in to ADF totally by accident and just decided to keep it up. I've been practicing ADF with water fasting on my down days - nothing but water for a little over a month and I'm loving it. Anyway, I've been having problems with bloating over the past week and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. The bloating is pretty much a constant although its at its worst in the mornings. I feel like my stomach is always full and I find that I'm not all that hungry even on my eating days. I guess that's a good side effect because I'm not staving off hunger pangs but I hate feeling bloated all the time. I've tried researching this to no avail and was wondering if there were any similar experiences out there or possibly some tips for me.

Oh and I feel the need to brag for a second; I've lost 47 pounds on this diet so far and haven't exercised once! Crazy!!

Thanks group!
  • nainaa22
    Options
    Hi jba09a,

Welcome to the group! Just to be honest I am a bit jealous and inspired at the same time by the amount of weight you've lost through this. I used to do water fasting on my down days but that made it so hard for me to eat the next day because I lost my appetite. So I switched to eating a little bit on my down days, like cereal or fruit or other snack. And yeah I experience bloating too! It doesn't feel good at all...but I am losing weight so I can take the bloating feeling. I wish I knew why too, I guess it's just a side effect of the diet change.

Anyways keep up the good work, you're doing great.
  • boncharlie
    boncharlie Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Hello :)
    I have been looking into ADF and I have decided to give it a go. I think I would be keen to try water fasting but I have some exante shakes left over from about a year ago when I needed to lose some weight in a hurry. Please feel free to add me for some mutual support :)
  • jennelinow
    jennelinow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    On the first week of this diet and waiting to see how it goes, Ive tried diets before with usually no results but at 180 and 5'3" Im officially fed up! I work out, dont eat fast food, but I drink and I know I eat things I shouldnt. I'm on the second fast day and I was STARVING first thing this morning, but the first fast day wasn't to bad so I'm just trying to mentally gird myself for it. Fortunately it turns out you can eat a ton of raw veg before you pile up the calories, a whole zucchini is only 34 calories! Giving up half my alcohol intake sucked but by not having a beer after work and going to 1 glass of wine I'm already saving 7-800 calories a week.

Has anyone had particular success with ADF versus other diets? I did weight watchers for three months but as with most diets I will loose 5 lbs and then no more comes off, two months of no progress on WW.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Hi I've been doing EAT STOP EAT(2 - 24 hour fasts per week) 5 weeks and losing 1-2#s per week. One week ago I started alternate day fasting and lost 3#s. I'm eating 600-700 down days and eating my exercise calories because I am very active and about 1800 my up days (even though I'm allowed 2200) and not counting my exercise calories those days. I love it! I was originally planning down days for MWF only, but I am doing true alternate days because it is so easy.