Stage 1 Dumbell shoulder press

Options
I just can't get past my starting weight of 5kg (11lbs) and I'm on 6B! Did anyone else have this problem? How did you get past it?

Replies

• girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    the shoulder press was one of the quickest to find my limit on, as of the last time i did it I think I was at 9.5kg per db. I have spinlock dumbells so I can increase weight at 2.5kg increments. Are you using adjustabe or fixed DBs? whats the next weight up?
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    My gym has dumbells that increase in 1kg so the next would be 6kg (13.2lbs) but I feel like I am so close to going to failure on the 5kgs I don't want to try heavier. 7B and 8b have sets of only 8 so I might try the 6kg and see how it goes. I'm just really depressed cause I see people lifting much heavier and making scary improvements on their results for it and I wondered if it was my form or something?
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlmsua2ni5Q

this is how it should look, everyone progresses differently.

You could try 6kgs for set 1 and then 5kgs for set 2 and 3?
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    Hmmm, he brings his elbows slightly more forward than me... I'll give that a go next time. Thanks :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    You can try to go heavier on the last rserie even if you do not do all the rep.

As an exemple I will do 3 series of 8 rep:

serie 1 : 20 pounds dumbells x 8
    serie 2 : 20 pounds dumbells x 8
    serie 3 : 25 pounds to failure (what ever that is)

Then you can do 20 - 25 - 25 when you can do all reps

until you finally do all 3 series at the higher weight
  • Rielyn
    Rielyn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm stuck at 15 lbs, I've tried 20 lbs but I can literally only bust out 5 before I practically drop them. I even feel like 15 is too easy but there is no in between weights at my gym. I'm super impressed by anyone who can shoulder press more than 20 lbs!! Oh and I just finished 7B!
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have a block at 15# as well (both shoulder and chest press) so when the 15# got too easy, I used weighted gloves to bridge the gap.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    do different weights each set. if you're stuck at 15 then the next time do as many as you can with 20 then finish with 15, same with the next set .. each time to you do the workout add 1 more rep on the 20s than you did before . you dont need o do all reps with the same weight

unfortunately one of the reason i hate DBs is that they only go up by 5 pounds. you may be able to find 17.5 and 22.5 but my gym is pretty well equipped and those are the only half sizes i've seen
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    do different weights each set. if you're stuck at 15 then the next time do as many as you can with 20 then finish with 15, same with the next set .. each time to you do the workout add 1 more rep on the 20s than you did before . you dont need o do all reps with the same weight

This is what I do for shoulder presses and for dumbbell lunges.
  • shayoni
    shayoni Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My gym has fixed dumbbells in increments of 5. I was lifting a tiny bit for about half a year before starting nrolfw so I started stage 1 at a 15 lb shoulder press and about halfway through was able to use the 25 lb weights. I have trouble getting them onto my shoulders to start the press though, and there's no way I could go up a whole 5 lbs right now to 30! (which is what my boyfriend uses :happy: )
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlmsua2ni5Q

this is how it should look, everyone progresses differently.

You could try 6kgs for set 1 and then 5kgs for set 2 and 3?
    I disagree with the above YouTube video. He's bringing his elbows too far forward. Look again at the book's diagram on pg. 185. And at this video: (he's sitting on a bench and we should be standing; but his form is perfect.)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/dumbbell-shoulder-press