Getting Started Tips?

Options
FatAssBecky
FatAssBecky Posts: 58 Member
Just wondering what your tips are for getting started to make the serious change to clean eating? Did you purge your entire cabinets? Stock up on recipes before hand? Make a gradual change into it? Buy books?

Thanks!

Replies

• IAmABetterMe
    IAmABetterMe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Great job on your loss so far :-)

Here's this might help!

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/getting-started-guide/
  • Fitinmytwenties
    Options
    I second the Gracious Pantry! I spend countless hours reading her site, she has tons of information. I'm doing it a little bit at a time. I don't have the money to empty my pantry and start over, besides I feel like that is wasting food. Every week, I try a new recipe from scratch and try to replace one or two things in my diet. I don't think I'll ever be 100% clean but I'd like to be close.
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    same here. I printed out the "primal blueprint shopping list" and checked off what I wanted. I tried to give stuff I don't eat to my family and still do- like milk/oj. Now my husband likes my heavy whipping cream in his coffee and most of what i make him.
  • FatAssBecky
    FatAssBecky Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I never got notifications from MFP that someone commented so just coming back to this group now to see what's going on. :)

Thanks for that website...I'll check it out. I agree with the toss of the food - I can't just throw it away! Luckily my cabinets are pretty bare now and most of the stuff is just white rice, reg. pasta, beans, vegetables, etc. etc. Not exactly chips and cookies - but not the best either.
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I did all of these. Probably a good idea to get some recipes together before your throw out all your food. :smile:

I recommend looking at Thai, Indian, and Italian cookbooks - or whatever your favorites are. Pick out several clean things you'd like to try, then clean out the pantry. Get in the habit of reading the label on everything you buy. (You might want to go to the grocery store when it's not crowded.)
  • deebelky
    deebelky Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i liked tosca's original book -- clean eating. it really motivated me. and i absolutely have to plan out my meals for the week and stick to the cooler. it's all about preparation and planning.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
  • tammies00
    tammies00 Posts: 16
    Options
    I am also new to clean eating. I had a lot of the "staples" without realizing it. What I am doing is gathering lots of recipes that I can swap out for family favorites. I have been cooking a recipe then I ask my family to rate it. I also ask why do you not like this?

I found this website also http://www.heandsheeatclean.com/

For me the biggest thing is planning.

Tammie
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the graciouspantry recommendation! I went shopping last evening and bought many of the items on the list! I'm slowly adding cleaner items to my diet and have found the weight is finally starting to come off!
  • pamcastro
    pamcastro Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the valuable information for newbies! I appreciate the web sites. :happy:
  • NeeneVa
    NeeneVa Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you are a FaceBook user - there is a great page called "100 days of Real Food". Lots of great tips, recipes, shopping lists, meal plans etc. Check it out :-)
  • IngeliseA
    IngeliseA Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been on mfp for a few months now, but not posted anything yet. This seems like a great group to be in! I am slowly trying to change the way we eat by NOT buying canned foods and only buying fresh instead, but I seem to be buying the same things week after week so I am really looking forward to any and all advice I can get here and checking out some of the web sites that you people have suggested!