Trying to Make a Decision

This is double posted. It's on the Eatmore2weighless.com forum , but since we're not super active there yet, I decided to post here also.

Well, I'm having some doubts about my half coming up this September. Well, technically I haven't even registered for it, so it's just an idea really. But I've been following a training program to build mileage up. I'm to week 6 of a 12 week program. I've had to take a couple of breaks due to my knee bothering me. My knee is absolutely fine now, but the heat is killing me right now, so I have not been out there for almost a week. Yikes!

But I'm just second guessing myself. It's not that I don't believe I can do it. I've learned enough in the past few months to know that I can dig deep, complete my half marathon training, and run my half. But I guess I'm wondering if I should? I guess what I'm wondering is this. The whole reason I started this journey is because I've yo-yo'd through the years and am now at a very unhealthy weight, body fat %, BMI, whichever tool that's used, it all points the same direction. So when my weight spiked up higher than ever in February of this year, I made the decision that I was done with this. Done with being overweight, tired, upset with the way that I look and feel, etc...So I'm in this to change my body into the healthy me that's here under all of the fat layers. That was my goal when I started getting healthy in February.

What I know is this. Running can be counterproductive. I know that I start to drop more weight when I take a break from running. I know that the closer I get to my half and run longer distances my body will hold onto my fat. I know that with all of this extra fat I'm putting more stress on my joints while running. I don't want to screw up my knee. I know that my legs do not have proper muscle strength that would help me to prevent injury while running

But I also know these things. I love to run - okay, not the last two weeks, but usually. Running has become my therapy - my time of silence in a home filled with my two rambunctious little boys and daycare kiddos who are here five days a week. It relieves a lot of stress for me. I love the way I feel when I cross a finish line. For the past two months I've told everyone who will listen that I'm running a half marathon this year. I want want want this half marathon medal. I can't explain why it means so much, but it does. Perhaps it's to prove it to myself that I can do this?

See how contradictory and jumbled I feel right now? I've had thoughts of forgetting the half for this year and working on NROLFW so that I can improve my strength and drop fat - both of which would reduce risk of injury while training in the future for races. I could work on getting the extra pounds off now so that I can run freer and faster later. So not giving up running, but setting it down for now as a lesser priority. Those are the thoughts that I've been having. But I'm not sure that I can "give up" on my half goal. I've had it taped to my wall and I wonder if I would just feel like a failure if I don't do this.

So I've been going back and forth and driving myself nuts. I know this is a decision that nobody can make for me, but I'd be interested in any thoughts, opinions, etc...

Replies

• 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Don't feel bad or guilty or any of those negative feelings! I was in my 9th week of training for a half and suffered ITBS. It was painful and I needed therapy. I went to the race to support my husband who ran it. I still have not run "my" half but I don't feel bad because knowing what I know now about fitness, it's no longer on my bucket list. And believe me, everyone knew I was training for that and to this day, no one has said "Hey, when are you running a half?". I don't feel like a failure for changing my mind.

If you do decide to do a half, do your first in the winter (cold), at the beach (flat)! It already sounds like you have the excitement for it, so I know you will accomplish all your goals! I can't wait to hear what you decide to do!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Go with what your heart tells you to do. Deep down you already have made your decision.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    It's a difficult decision. I guess it boils down to "the now" v. "the long run". :huh:
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    I was/am in a similar boat, only Im not training for a half, Im only at a 5k(about 3.1 miles I believe) I began running in January as a way to help shed the weight, and after my initial 8 weeks training on the C25K plan, I had lost 10 pounds... and then nothing happened. I ran a couple of 5 k races and was thrilled with actually competing in something for the first time in my life, and I felt incredibly proud to do something I never expected to Like, or to ever think I could actually do.

When I began EMTWL, I had to make the decision to cut back on my running so I could incorporate NROL. I needed a big change and running was fun and I enjoyed it, I knew I needed strength training in order to give this a fair shot. PLus I have a lot of fat and loose skin, so I knew the sooner I began to lift and tighten things up, the better it would serve in the long run.

Since I am only a fairweather runner, and have only done a few 5ks, A friend and I signed up for a 10k at the end of August as something to strive towards. Since my last race I have only been running maybe once a week, and my endurance definitely took a hit. But we decided to just go with the flow for the 10, and we will likely do run/walk segments in order to finish. I never planned on being a longer distance runner, i was quite happy with only running 5s, but the 10 is a nice goal.

Bu I made the decision to go into it very lightly and to have fun. So it doesnt matter to me if I walk 5k or if a can run further than I ever could. So training for it isnt really something I am doing.. (of course, my distance is half of your distance:))

So I think for you, you need to ask yourself, how important is the race for you? Is it for fun? for a goal? for glory?
    Would you be happy with walking it in parts? or Would you have to be an "all for nothing" runner? Is this something you HAVE to finish this season? Would you be happy with just running for fun right now and pushing your half into next year? Are you ok with it possibly slowing down any weight loss progress you might make until then?

If you enjoy running and dont want to give it up.. then dont.. but maybe you do need to reconsider pushing yourself for a race that you might not be 100% comfortable in doing.If you are finding you are dreading training right now, or getting to the point you Hate going out for a run, then stop.. dont get to the point where you loate it so much that you give it up all together.. Run for you.. no one else.

Hope this helps..
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    It is a tough decision. I think you should decide what you want for the short term and long term. In other words what are your goals. You mentioned that the Half was your goal and now you are torn because you are thinking that getting healthy and strong is more of a priority. So you need to list your goals and prioritize them, which is the number one, that may take a lot of digging, making lists of pros and cons to figure it out. My choice would be to get healthy, there are always going to be Half Marathons to run and I would rather run one in the best health so that I would have less of a chance of injury. Oh and I would not mind looking great while I was at it too! ;D

In the end only you know the answer. You will figure it out. Best of luck.
  • I agree with this too, I think goals need to be flexible to allow success, maybe your learning running a half is not quite right for you at the mo...maybe font think of it do black and whitely? You don't need to stop running if you don't do the half, you could just maintain your current level of fitness? Or you could just plan to 1/2 walk 1/2 jog the race which avoids the need for lots more training perhaps? Lots of people walked during the race I did and no one questioned it and they earned there medal like the rest. ^^^
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    First of all, get it out of your head that your fitness goals cannot be achieved in tandem. NROL only advises lifting 3 days a week. If you wanted to, you could run the other 3 days, and still have 1 rest day every week.

And are you sure that it is fat you are retaining when you run? You may very well just be holding on to a lot of water.

The vibe I get from your post is that you feel like if you do not do it, it will be some sort of failure on your part. This is not the case. But, have you been known in the past to fall short of your goals? If so, is this half marathon more of a symbol to you of completing what you set out to do, and really changing your life? If so, then go for it!

What it boils down to is, if you truly love to run, then run! The half marathon is a good goal to have, as well as a good barometer of your fitness improvement. However, it is not the be all end all. You can do what other posters said, and walk some if you feel the need. And if you feel like you can walk away from this goal, even temporarily, without feeling guilty, then that is OK too. Just be sure it is not something you are going to beat yourself up over.
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Also maybe the run you want to do also has a 10k you could do instead. Its less training and easier on the body
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    First of all, get it out of your head that your fitness goals cannot be achieved in tandem. NROL only advises lifting 3 days a week. If you wanted to, you could run the other 3 days, and still have 1 rest day every week.

And are you sure that it is fat you are retaining when you run? You may very well just be holding on to a lot of water.

The vibe I get from your post is that you feel like if you do not do it, it will be some sort of failure on your part. This is not the case. But, have you been known in the past to fall short of your goals? If so, is this half marathon more of a symbol to you of completing what you set out to do, and really changing your life? If so, then go for it!

What it boils down to is, if you truly love to run, then run! The half marathon is a good goal to have, as well as a good barometer of your fitness improvement. However, it is not the be all end all. You can do what other posters said, and walk some if you feel the need. And if you feel like you can walk away from this goal, even temporarily, without feeling guilty, then that is OK too. Just be sure it is not something you are going to beat yourself up over.

^^^THIS^^^^

Crystal~ I think you are putting undo pressure on yourself to attain this goal NOW. The questions that "brney" poses to you are GREAT ones and made me think too (thanks, wise soul!). Is this Marathon really the ONLY mark of your fitness success? If you don't do it or do it modified, have your really failed to change your life?

Ease up, if the Marathon was your "carrot" to go after, just get a new "carrot".......

Oh, and :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Well, I took a week off of running with the heat and the fatigue and blah that I've been feeling. This week I'm going to run. I'll evaluate how I feel about this goal this week.

I do realize that I could do NROL and train at the same time, but for me that's not something that I want to do. Reason being, the amount of training required and distance for the long run each week in combination with a new lifting regime would likely cause overtired muscles. So I don't think I'd get great results for my running or my lifting. I do plan to continue to run when I start NROL, but it will be more just to keep a baseline of running endurance so that I have a foundation from which to train for future events.

I'm leaning towards running it honestly. September is only several months away. I feel like mentally I will be able to give myself completely to the NROL program after completing my half. But if I stop short and jump into NROL now I might feel mentally discouraged now. At least, that's kind of what I'm thinking now. I'm going to get back into running this week and reevaluate.
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Seems every bit of advice I could offer has been covered so I will just say this --

When I crossed the finish line for my 1st HM I felt the most overwhelming sense of pride and accomplishment. I had conquered my doubts and fear and I knew I could conquer anything. I felt strong, determined, and like I had won the whole race. Honestly, at that moment for the first time in my adult life, I could care less what the scale said.

Good luck with your decision and rest in the fact the you thought it through and made the best one for you on that day of your life.