Eating under set TDEE once in awhile

Daphnemomof9
Daphnemomof9 Posts: 113 Member
I determine my TDEE by tracking my fitbit on a spreadsheet. I have a lot of physical labor around our farm, and with my husband gone most of the time, I have set my TDEE at 2750 and try to make that amount work most of the time.

Yesterday, I was feeling extremely out of it, didn't want to set foot in the heat (where most of my work is) and I had a really low calorie burn for the day. I had set my food diary up the night before and was eating away at it, thought I had eaten all of it, but double checked when I was getting ready for bed and realized that I hadn't eaten a serving of almonds (180 cals). I really didn't want to eat them right before bed and considering that I was 650 below my TDEE and had been low a couple of other days this week already, I decided to skip them. Do you think that is an ok choice or should I have pushed through and eaten them to keep my cals eaten consistent?

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Are you on a Reset, or trying to maintain your weight? That would be the only reason why to be eating at TDEE, generally.. So if you are, then once in a while Its ok if you are under tdee, but if you make it a habit, then your body doesnt get what it needs and you can end up messing with your Reset..

If you are trying to lose weight, then you should be eating under TDEE to begin with:)

hope this helps
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    As Raynn already said it is important to stick with the TDEE as much as possible while doing the reset. Better to be a bit above than below during the reset
  • SusanFinck
    SusanFinck Posts: 25 Member
    I'm confused. I didn't respond to this post because I have inadequate knowledge of this topic. Now, reading the comments
    of other responders I would like to know what is meant by "reset". Does TDEE suggest one consumes calorie goals plus
    exercise calories? I follow someone who consistently eats under her calorie requirements; is this what I have to do to lose
    the weight? I'm actually not as concerned with the number on the scale (like I used to be) but I seem to be directionless.
    Can anyone set me straight?
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Reset is eating your TDEE to get your body back to normal, then you start your cut (at your 10/15%) and you should lose weight (hopefully).. you wouldn't eat back your exercise calories unless you have a huge burn day that lowers you below your BMR.. depending on what you set your calorie requirements to you may be eating below them but you should set your requirements to your reset number or cut number.. of course exercise calories increase that which again you wouldn't eat back unless it is a big burn day you would eat SOME back to get to your BMR or near cut if you want (devices that tell how many calories you burn are not all 100% so prob don't want to overeat)