New Rules of Lifting

Options
rat70
rat70 Posts: 129 Member
This may have already been answered elsewhere but I did do a search and didn't find any answers...

I want to get back to lifting again (I had surgery on my arms in February so I've taken a break). I borrowed all the NROL books from the library a while ago and we ended up buying NROL for Abs as my husband was keen to do the program too (although then he returned to work after looking after me and it has gone by the wayside - but that is straying from the point).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any opinions about the different NROL programs. Is it worth getting the NROL for Women? I like the idea of building up to pull-ups in that one as this is actually one of my goals - when my arms will let me.

I intend to workout at home. I have been a member of a gym but I'm not really getting value from it as I'm not big on class fitness (except for RPM or Spin) and I do my running outdoors (can't stand treadmills!)

On that point, I also do much more cardio that any of the programs recommend as I do like to run and I am also keen to do more novice triathlons this coming season. Having those sorts of goals has been incredibly motivating for me. I do five to six 30-40minute 'cardio' sessions a week which is mainly running at the moment (three runs, one cycle class and one long walk) but will be cycling and swimming come the triathlon pre-season. Is anyone else combining NROL with more metabolic training?

Any thoughts on these two questions?

Replies

• GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

I've posted a link to a group here dedicated to it. I got the kindle book through amazon and although there was some interesting info it wasn't for me. Some I felt were too basic and I guess I have a good routine anyway. But lots of members from here do it and see results.

I love it that you are a fellow spinner...lol I bought a bike for home and have been using a website called studio sweat on demand. Check it out they are killer. I've got 7 day free trial but will be buying some downloads to keep. I put them through my apple tv on my big tv and have my own class at home.... With my kids as the audience...lol
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I'm using NROLW and I love it. It works well for my time crunch and I have been have excellent results.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I bought the book and have mixed feelings about it. Part of me wants to try it when I'm done P90X/Insanity doubles hybrid, but a huge part of me loves my routine now and just wants to repeat my hybrid while increasing the weights. I like the mix of cardio and interval training as well as weights and yoga.

I learned a lot from the book, but I'm not sure I'll do the workout routine.