Doing C25K with a dog?

Options
epfox86
epfox86 Posts: 11 Member
Does anyone have tips with doing C25K with a dog? I've done one day but he's still getting used to it too and loves to try to go hunt things so if anyone has any tips that'd be great!

Replies

• bozmo
    bozmo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I run with my dog too. Hes a pointer so he loves to run.. and hunt. But I don't like having to keep track of him, he doesn't stay near me, so I have him on a leash. I put a harness on him so he can pull me, and I have a bungee style leash around my waist so my hands are free. When he does pull I can actually feel myself going faster. I have also taught him left, right, easy, and whoa so I can direct him where we are going. Then at the end of the run he usually gets a little free time in the park as I cool down.

When the running stuff comes out he gets really excited.
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have two dogs that I sometimes take out- Sammy is a half Standard Dachshund/half hound dog mix, who LOVES to run. He's good for up to 3 miles on a nice day. I also have a Blue Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog) who is good so far for about 3 miles even when it's hot...However she has attitude issues, so some days she gets to go, some days she doesn't.

Sammy wears a harness, Charlie wears a Gentle Leader. Both wear a doggie back pack to carry water, poop bags, and their poop if they go, cause I am not carrying their poop around! LOL

It's been too hot to take either of them, though. I have to run/walk on asphalt, and it's too hot for their feet.

If your dog is well-mannered and knows basic commands, slap a harness and a leash on them, and take them with you. Mine love it and get upset if I put my running shoes on and don't take them.