advice on what to use - dumbells or resistance band :/

Options
okey so I have a question about CLX if anyone is doing it too. I only have one and two pound dumbells and a grey resistance band. Which should I use for CLX in the burn phase? :/ I used the rb for the first day of the workout and my thighs are still a bit sore :P Today is my third day (yesterday was the day off), so basically my second day, and Im gonna try with rb again. Some advice maybe?

Replies

• Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    The 1 and 2lb dumbells will do nothing, keep going with the band and make sure you can feel the burn (keep it taut so you get as much resistance as you can handle).

For this programme I started on 5lb dumbells and worked my way up to 14lbs. I'm very weak, many people get up to 25/30lbs.
  • minnie_monroe
    Options
    okey thnx. even though the 2lbs are not that easy for me :P but thnx anyways, Ill keep on with the rb then :)
  • mhenkel0506
    Options
    I agree, keep up with the bands. Then as you get stronger you can adjust the bands for more resistance. Remember, Go Heavy or Go Home! You can do it!!
  • roander
    roander Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I only had 3/5/8 dumbbells and just didn't want to keep spending more money to increase the sizes. So recently I bought the Bodylastics bands and I do like them. I think I can go up to 50+ pounds.

The only drawback I can find is that you don't really know how much weight/resistance you are lifting based on how wide your feet are. I just make sure I have them as "heavy" as I can go. I just have to write down which bands I used for each exercise so I can keep track of progress.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    okey thnx. even though the 2lbs are not that easy for me :P but thnx anyways, Ill keep on with the rb then :)

Honestly, you'll outgrow those 2lbs after week 1 :-)
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I started with the bands and switched over to weights as soon as I figured out that this program was right for me. The weight ranges on the bands can be misleading. I was using the green, red and black bands for the burn phase which are up to 30lbs resistance.

I switched to dumbells for PUSH phase after 5,8,10,12,15,20 and I am on my third week of it and am only just now able to do 20's for some of the lower body exercises.

If you do the bands, make them tight as you can and really flex and concentrate so you can get the same benefits.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I only had 3/5/8 dumbbells and just didn't want to keep spending more money to increase the sizes. So recently I bought the Bodylastics bands and I do like them. I think I can go up to 50+ pounds.

The only drawback I can find is that you don't really know how much weight/resistance you are lifting based on how wide your feet are. I just make sure I have them as "heavy" as I can go. I just have to write down which bands I used for each exercise so I can keep track of progress.

I just received my Bodylastics resistance bands last week. They do give you an idea on the amount of resistance you are using depending on the color of the band. I find that they give me more resistance than free weight. It is a balancing game.

I am planning on ordering CLX this weekend and am hoping with the Bodylastics being a better resistance band than a lot of others on the market...that it will work with CLX.

How far along are you in the program and how are the bnads working for you?

Michelle
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I started with the bands and switched over to weights as soon as I figured out that this program was right for me. The weight ranges on the bands can be misleading. I was using the green, red and black bands for the burn phase which are up to 30lbs resistance.

I switched to dumbells for PUSH phase after 5,8,10,12,15,20 and I am on my third week of it and am only just now able to do 20's for some of the lower body exercises.

If you do the bands, make them tight as you can and really flex and concentrate so you can get the same benefits.

are those the bands you receive with the program or do you already have some resistance bands?
  • mrbunsrocks
    mrbunsrocks Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Just make sure that whatever you do, it's something that really challenges your body. If you can do it with bands, then the bands will work, but you need to be honest with yourself and see if you truly are reaching failure in the requisite number of reps.

I'm doing lean phase right now, and I am mostly using my 12-15-20 lbs weights. For Push phase, I was also using 30s for a lot of the lower body stuff. I could have done heavier, but that's all I have.

I will say, I REALLY wish I had 17.5/18 lbs dumbbells because I'm really stuck between 15/20 for my biceps. 20 is just too heavy for me to do with any sort of form and 15s are too easy. It's surprising how quickly your strength will increase!!!
  • roander
    roander Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I know they give you the number on the bands, but if you place your feet wider, the resistance is harder. With weights, you know exactly how much each one weighs. I just try to adjust to make the bands harder so I fail at the right place.

I checked out the Bodylastics free online exercises and wasn't impressed. Too much yakking, giggling, etc.!
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

are those the bands you receive with the program or do you already have some resistance bands?
    I bought the B Bands system off of beachbody- it has five different bands for heavier resistance.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I got my resistance bands from Amazon, and they worked great. The only problem is that I snapped them a couple of times.