Race For Life 10K 2013

AmeChops
AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
OK, so I'm new to running - i.e. I don't, currently...but I'm gonna!! Me and a friend are signing up to do the above and so I have a year to get my run on.

Realistically, how long would it take to become 'race fit' and do you guys have any tips?

I was going to follow a C25K program to get me started, I have just bought new trainers with gel inserts as I have a high arch...so reckon I might be good to start :-))

Replies

• flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    I'd suggest C25K followed by Bridge to 10K when you feel ready. If you have a parkrun near you they are great and generally really friendly.
    I did C25K last summer and I ran my first 10 mile race last month - just signed up for a half marathon eek!
    Good luck and happy running!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    I effectively went from nothing to 10K in about 6 months - so you are definitely good to go in a year. Park run and/or a local running club will help you out a lot. C25K is great if you are really starting from nothing but challenge yourself to jog for 30 mins and see how you get on - you might be good to go straight to bridge to 10K.
  • findingmyhappyplace
    findingmyhappyplace Posts: 75 Member
    Depends on your current fitness level. I went from nothing to 48:08 10k in 3 months. But then I already had a strong fitness level. Today my bf completed a 10k having logged less than 4k in training (in total...). He ran the whole way and had zero fitness, just pure determination to finish. My dad also ran the 10k in a very respectable time with maybe 10 training runs in total, none more than 6.5km, coming from 20 years of no excercise.

I think 10k is a short enough distance that a lot of it is psychological.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    I went from starting c25k in May to running 10k's almost every day now..and I am far ,far from being a proper runner, and im not fast either!!

c25k will open all kinds of doors into the running world, and it's a great place to start if you have never run before.

and well done on booking a race, so you have great motivation to do it!

good luck!
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Thanks for all the comments guys, it's really great that there's somewhere like that that I can get advice and views from!!

I'll be starting C25K in the next couple of days - might even take a dog with me :-))
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Forgot to mention that there's a specific Couch to 5K group on here.
    Well done on starting running! :smile: