Still really sore--work out anyway?

Options
azalais7
azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
I did a new routine on Tuesday and am still really sore. Since I'm relatively new to weights, I'm not sure if I should just push through it today or give myself another day of rest? It's definitely lactic-acid soreness, not potentially-injured soreness. I just worry that it might be counterproductive--would I get the most out of it today? Or is that less of a concern?

Replies

• drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    As long as you are not working the same muscles, then you could still lift. Otherwise do some cardio and rest the muscles.
  • azalais7
    Options
    Thanks, drmryder. In the end, I decided to push through with an alternate full-body routine and see how I felt. It was great! Not only was I able to complete the whole routine, several of the exercises were noticeably easier than they were when I did the same ones last week.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    Just be careful about too much weights when you are sore. You are sore because of the micro tears on the muscle (It's how the body builds muscle). If you push too much too fast, you will enlarge those tears. If that happens, it takes a lot longer to heal. If your very sore, do something else like drmryder said, cardio, or other muscle groups. Give it a few days, then you can hit it back again full force.

There is NOTHING worse then overtraining while lifting, it will kick your butt if your not careful.
  • azalais7
    Options
    Just be careful about too much weights when you are sore. You are sore because of the micro tears on the muscle (It's how the body builds muscle). If you push too much too fast, you will enlarge those tears. If that happens, it takes a lot longer to heal. If your very sore, do something else like drmryder said, cardio, or other muscle groups. Give it a few days, then you can hit it back again full force.

There is NOTHING worse then overtraining while lifting, it will kick your butt if your not careful.

I will, thanks. I've been much more sore after a workout in the past, and there's no way I would have lifted again in that case. This was a a few degrees less than that, and I wasn't sure if I was healed enough.

What I did was an alternate, though still full-body, routine that I had done the session previously, and did NOT up my weight. That seems to have been the right thing to do.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Some times I'll do some light work on those sore muscles and either it will help relieve it or you will know real quick today is not the day.