Completed my first 5k yesterday

Options
aimeeinohio
aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
I participated in our local July 4th 5k yesterday. It started at 9 am. By that time it was already 90 degrees and 80% humidity, and we were under a heat advisory!

There were 1,000 people in the race, a huge crowd! It was awesome! I had good intentions, I was hoping to run a good portion of it but that didn't work out so well. I ran maybe 5 minutes total. I did run to the finish line, though :)
By mile 1, about half of the runners were walking!!

A couple of people had to be driven back to the park, and a guy who came in a minute ahead of me was puking his guts out. I myself made it, but heading to the water station started to wobble a bit!!

I made it in 49:18...I was a bit mad at myself, I REALLY wanted to finish in under 45 minutes, but it just wasn't happening!! And my legs are a bit sore today (half of the route had hills).

Replies

• bozmo
    bozmo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Don't be too hard on yourself for your time. It sounds like the conditions warranted going slowly. Besides, then you have a goal for your next race!
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    Congrats on finishing your first race! Like the previous poster said- I wouldn't be too hard on yourself- July races can be killer!!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Great job in going and doing it! You definately listened to your body and did what you had to do! Now you have a goal for your next race!
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You still did awesome! Way to go to even go to the race in those conditions.....Ohio can really be brutal with the humidity in the Summer!! You did great!!