Thoughts on Paleo and Intermittent Fasting?

Options
mommamuscles
mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
SO I've been hearing alot about Intermittent fasting and paleo eating lately...seems like the two tend to be discussed alongside one another. I've looked into IF in the past and was totally against it, but I'm experiencing some open-mindedness. I am wondering how these principles fit into the EM2WL lifestyle, and also curious if others have had success with these approaches and how they put them into practice on a daily basis. The more I think about it, the more I think I naturally gravitate towards a paleo + limited dairy (think greek yogurt, cottage cheese) style of eating, but frankly, the thought of IF scares me to death!

Replies

• harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh! Good topic !

As you know .. I read a lot. And .. I've changed my diet the past year. I find that I am absolutely gravitating to a Paleo-type diet. In fact, was doing it before I knew it was "Paleo". I've read Primal Blueprint and Smarter Science of Slim. Months apart. CLICK! This
    is what I've been naturally doing, what feels right for my body. However, I do have some dairy and I must have legumes. ME - without peanut butter??? Come on! LOL. I feel great and my body likes it ! And .. its easy. Lean protein, vegetables, fruits, good fats + my dairy and peanut butter : ) ANd Pinto beans. I'm a Kentucky mountain girl - gotta have some pinto beans !

Intermittent Fasting. Yea. Not so sure about that - but I'm reading up on it. Can't wait to see what others are going to share.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    From what I understand of Paleo is you cut out everything thats not "natural".. so no grains, dairy, sugar items, desserts etc.. If you can do it for a long period of time sure, its going to be really hard to not have any grain and dairy is a main source of calcium.. so you will need to get calcium from another source.. you can blend the idea of this with other healthy grains and healthy dairy and get a normal healthy meal plan.. I wouldn't fast, I don't see the point in that as your just hurting yourself on the days you fast opening yourself up for binge eating and cravings..
    It does have the basics of a healthy lifestyle and as long as you eat at a reduced caloric intake then what you burn, you will lose weight, so ya should work. (your cut number)
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I've never been totally against IF. It just doesn't always fit my lifestyle. I know a lot of people that have had great success w/it, and that's why I always say, that once your body has learned that you'll feed it no matter what, you eat at the schedule that works best for you.

I know that IF works well for people with large appetites, because you get to eat larger meals, just less of them. So if you can hold off eating in order to eat bigger meals later, then go for it. I've always felt like IF works best for those who have busier schedules and can't fit a bunch of mini meals into their day, or those that don't really like breakfast anyway (or whatever meal they are skipping). I have done IF (often accidentally) during times that DH has been busy and heads out to work before I wake up, but those are only certain times of the year.

As a homeschool mom, I'm often cooking or fixing some type of food ALL.DAY.LONG. So for me, it's harder, not easier, to IF, and that's not my style. I like everything that I do to fit in with my lifestyle, so that I can stick with it. That's why I bulk around the holidays, cut, when my garden and veggies are in peak season, and maintain during times of the year, that I know that my energy will wane. I don't purposely take things out of my life or add them to it, if I know I can't keep it up. I also don't typically do things that are "hard" for me, unless I'm at the "finish line" because that's typically when they are needed, not in the middle of the journey. IF is one of those things for me. Because I'm a breakfast lover, IFing is not practical for me, unless I'm trying to accomplish something and nothing else is working. Same goes for omitting dairy products or sugar or whatever. I enjoy those things in moderation all year long, I will only cut or greatly reduce them, if I feel like I am almost "there" and something is holding me back.

One other thing that I will say about IF, and that is that I know that MANY people get such great results that they tend to then go overboard, thinking that the more they fast the better off they are, and then it backfires. But that's the same with everything else. You have to find the "happy medium" and what works best for YOU. I also find that many people (including myself) have better success doing IF for shorter periods of time rather than a long term, thing (but like I said, it does work better for some people's lives long term).

There are many EM2WL members that IF, so hopefully they will chime in with their results. IDK if I'd recommend it to someone who is just starting out, though, and doesn't even know how to fit in their cals as is. That's why we're always saying "consistency" in the beginning, because SO many people will eat 2300 cals one day, then 900 the next, and their body never really "establishes" itself at the higher cal levels, and they don't see results. Even if a person is IF they still need to be hitting their cal levels, just in fewer meals.

On a side note... fasting for me is a spiritual thing, and I find that whenever I IF, I lose a bit of that because fasting has become "normal." But obviously, those with no spiritual ties, will find no concerns with that.
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly Primal (I guess I fit into their 80/20 concept), but IF isn't for me, as I tend toward hypoglycemia. I get what they say about ketosis and glycogen response and all that, but not for this body!
  • 31prvrbs
    Options
    one other thing...as if I haven't rambled enough, lol...

Because of health issues, I've eliminated EVERYTHING at some point or another. Two things that I discovered with that:

1) A person can become allergic/sensitive to things that they indulge in: so too much of "anything" can be a bad thing. Overdosing on certain foods is a big part of what's causing American's so many issues today. We eat too much of the same foods over and over, thus causing so many sensitivities.

2) A person can become allergic/sensitive to things that they omit: so the more you remove from your diet the more you can become sensitive to. As I went through various Dr supervised "elimination" diets, one thing was always clear, even after I was "approved" to add the thing back in: start slowly. Because I'd taken then item from my diet, I was now more likely than ever to become sensitive to the food, even though I wasn't in the first place. Some things, to me, were worth letting my body get used to again (coffee, CHOCOLATE, milk, wheat, gluten). Some things, I didn't feel were (pork, alcohol, shellfish, etc).

So moral of the story: tread lightly when adjusting your diet, and don't do anything drastic, if you don't have to. Variety, really can be the spice of life. I've incorporated some of every type of "diet" that I've ever been on into my lifestyle now, and I don't have 1/4 of the issues that I used to. Some meals are GF, some are Paleo, some are soy free, dairy free, meat free, grain free, etc. Some days I drink coffee, some days I don't. Not allowing myself to HAVE to have anything, has been the best route for ME

Just my .02
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    one other thing...as if I haven't rambled enough, lol...

Because of health issues, I've eliminated EVERYTHING at some point or another. Two things that I discovered with that:

1) A person can become allergic/sensitive to things that they indulge in: so too much of "anything" can be a bad thing. Overdosing on certain foods is a big part of what's causing American's so many issues today. We eat too much of the same foods over and over, thus causing so many sensitivities.

2) A person can become allergic/sensitive to things that they omit: so the more you remove from your diet the more you can become sensitive to. As I went through various Dr supervised "elimination" diets, one thing was always clear, even after I was "approved" to add the thing back in: start slowly. Because I'd taken then item from my diet, I was now more likely than ever to become sensitive to the food, even though I wasn't in the first place. Some things, to me, were worth letting my body get used to again (coffee, CHOCOLATE, milk, wheat, gluten). Some things, I didn't feel were (pork, alcohol, shellfish, etc).

So moral of the story: tread lightly when adjusting your diet, and don't do anything drastic, if you don't have to. Variety, really can be the spice of life. I've incorporated some of every type of "diet" that I've ever been on into my lifestyle now, and I don't have 1/4 of the issues that I used to. Some meals are GF, some are Paleo, some are soy free, dairy free, meat free, grain free, etc. Some days I drink coffee, some days I don't. Not allowing myself to HAVE to have anything, has been the best route for ME

Just my .02

I didn't know that. i knew that, because I cut out bread/rice/pasta over a year ago, I can't eat it now. I know that since I cut out fried and greasy foods, even snagging a mushroom off my husband's pizza is disgusting to me. But I didn't know that I could become allergic to it because I cut it out of my diet. Interesting.

I mean, I guess that would explain why I felt sick when I decided to eat the topping off my favorite pizza after NOT eating it for so long.

And becoming allergic/sensitive to stuff you eat too much of...that happened to me with grapes. I got on a grape kick awhile back, and now, I can't eat more than a couple without my stomach rolling.
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    Funny. I just started looking into this today. I think most of Primal eating makes sense for me. I agree with the philosophy and think it can do wonders. I just worry, however, that for me it is not sustainable. I LOVE carbs. I can imagine cutting them out for a short period of time, but do not see myself totally giving up on pasta, pizza, bread, etc. Since I am focusing on finding something that will be sustainable for life, I just don't think this is my best option.

But, if you are not a "carb-hound" like me, it seems like it would be pretty easy to follow. Same with the IF. I love eating all day long at work. It keeps me from being bored and makes me get up a lot to walk to the kitchen! So I have always known that IF is not something that would be the best fit for my lifestyle.

Good luck!
  • AprilRenewed
    Options

Same with the IF. I love eating all day long at work. It keeps me from being bored and makes me get up a lot to walk to the kitchen! So I have always known that IF is not something that would be the best fit for my lifestyle.

Good luck!

This! I feel like all I do at work is sit and munch. LOL!!

Speaking of which, it's time to heat up my home made sweet potato fries!
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Read this little article a while back about the whole IF thing...it is by THE Nia Shanks...it talks about the 3 different types of IF and why certain types work for certain people...

http://www.niashanks.com/2011/08/three-methods-of-intermittent-fasting/

If you haven't already checked this one out...:ohwell:

I am NO expert on the topic, but it kinda seems like might be, if just from personal experience...

I "liked" the Girls Gone Strong Facebook page (I am a HUGE fan of Marianne's website myomytv--she is REALLY into Kettlebells, KIKI, and she is one of the co-founders of GGS), and they always have TONS of different information and links there...check it out! :bigsmile:
  • AprilRenewed
    Options
    Read this little article a while back about the whole IF thing...it is by THE Nia Shanks...it talks about the 3 different types of IF and why certain types work for certain people...

http://www.niashanks.com/2011/08/three-methods-of-intermittent-fasting/

Thanks for the link. I really didn't know much about IF or realize it was the latest "fad."

I couldn't do any of those. I've finally gotten myself into a steady system that works and keeps me satiated all day. I can't imagine not eating breakfast or not eating something - even just a handful of carrot sticks sometimes - every couple hours.
  • 31prvrbs
    Options
    I love Nia Shanks site, as well as stuff by Lyle McDonald, Alan Aragon, & a slew of others who all promote IF. Heck, even Andrew Weil does. I love them all, and would never tell anyone else to go against research, because I'm a research fiend.

But, the results really aren't THAT much different, for anyone to do it IF IT DOESN'T FIT THEIR LIVES.

That is the most important aspect of weight loss, people jump on bandwagons, just because they think it's "better", when really, it's just another option of many. So if it fits your life, then it's a no brainier. But if you have to rearrange your life, then it's bondage. That goes both ways. If eating snacks in between meals is not conducive to a persons lifestyle, then they better make sure they are getting it in when they do eat. If a person is always rushing out the door w/no time to eat, then obviously breakfast doesn't work for you. But if a person is feeling stuffed eating 500 cal meals, then they better learn how to break it up even further.

I LOVE to cook, and bake, and EAT. All.the.time.

I'll be darned if I'm gonna make pancakes or cinnamon rolls or scones for breakfast for my family, and then WATCH them eat it, because "mommy is fasting"

Not.gonna.work
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Everyone intermittently fasts....

You do it usually form 6pm to 6am (from dinner until breakfast) *shrug*
  • AprilRenewed
    Options

Unless there's wine involved.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Unless there's wine involved.

True Story :)
  • 31prvrbs
    Options

Lol!! Exactly!! That's why I "accidentally" IF when DH leaves for work early. Because I sleep in, instead of fixing & eating breakfast at 5-6am, lol. I go to bed late, so I eat up til like 12am, lol.

I'm always eating...
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Pretty much...mine is more like 9PM to 9AM...:laugh:

It's basically one of the IF methods that she discusses in the article...:drinker:
  • AprilRenewed
    Options

Lol!! Exactly!! That's why I "accidentally" IF when DH leaves for work early. Because I sleep in, instead of fixing & eating breakfast at 5-6am, lol. I go to bed late, so I eat up til like 12am, lol.

I'm always eating...

Me too. I usually have my protein shake first b/c I lift, generally, in the morning, but I don't eat before I lift. I just roll out of bed and lift. From the shake on, though...I'm eating.

I do slow down between the time I get off work and dinner time. I generally have a quick cardio session in there or stuff with my family and may only munch on carrots or something until dinner.

Then I have my nightly snack.

Always eating. LOL
  • mommamuscles
    Options
    Wow! Such a great response, thanks guys!
    I'm really just in the "intrigued" mode of research right now and I wanted some opinions, so thanks You've all given me stuff to think about. I'll be honest, I naturally feel best when I am doing a modified version of paleo (although, like Jen, I didnt realize thats what it was called until recently). Its only recently, like in the last 6 months, that I've added more grains into my diet, and I've noticed I crave the stuff alot more. As I think about cutting coming up, I think paleo could be a very good thing for me.
    Its been a very long journey for me, and I still have a ways to go to be at my goal and I am feeling CRAAAYYYYZZZY about counting calories and logging food. I seem to naturally know how to eat, but tend to drive myself nuts sometimes. I would love to have a break from counting calories. Im just gonna be real here, I do not plan on counting calories for the rest of my life. I've come from an ED past, and it is very challenging for me not to get obsessive as I count calories. I've been doing this long enough that I understand what I need to eat, and feel like I would be okay on my own. And I want to allow myself that freedom. I also know there are some things I just cannot eat in moderation. Most of these are grain carbs, so I feel like if I do a little "no tracking" experiment, I would be alot safer cutting out the grains. If I did go to a paleo diet, I am thinking it would be that 80/20 rule and I would probably allow myself a cheat meal now and then.
    As far as IF, I'm really on the fence still.
    Kiki-I'm pretty much with you on the being home all day, and cooking all day thing. That would be pretty hard. On the other hand, I like to eat big meals and be full when I'm done eating, so I have a hard time with the 5-6 meals. I naturally tend to skip breakfast, or at the very least, have my first meal around 10, after my workout. I am not that big of a fan of breakfast meals (except maybe cinnamon rolls, :P) so I could see the 14-hour fast thing as working for me, with some modifcations. Im definitely not gonna miss any family meals for the sake of fasting. Honestly, I have no idea if this would work for me, and am a little scared it would set me up for some kind of binge episode. But it might be something to try. As of right now, I'm not changing anything, I have a few weeks to keep thinking on this and hopefully check out some books. Any book recommendations?

To you IF people....
    What do you do about post-workout recovery nutrition? Particularly after weights. Just curious.
    Do you think you get enough protein in?
    Do you notice a change in your workouts? Do you time your meals around your workouts?
  • mommamuscles
    Options
    This is the article I read that made a lightbulb go off in my head today...
    http://www.negharfonooni.com/