How much Protein Should woman eat to tone

Options
cmje94066
cmje94066 Posts: 24 Member
Hi, I've decided to start drinking the AMP Wheybolic Protein, but found that it causes bloating and I'm not too fond of the look it's giving me. So, my question is how much protein should woman eat if they are looking to tone? Does anyone else have this same problem with these protein drinks? My workout consist of strength training and Insanity.

Replies

• brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I have heard that anywhere from 1/2-1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass is good. Maybe a poster out there can enlighten us on this?

If you are bloated, I have to ask, are you sensitive to dairy products? Bloat is usually a sign of a dairy sensitivity or allergy.

I started using protein shakes about 2 weeks ago, but have not had that issue. However, I have been using Sunwarrior Warrior Blend protein (a vegetarian powder) and mixing it with almond milk.
  • cmje94066
    Options
    I am sensitive to dairy, but whats funny is I called around to several GNC and one person said that the Whey protein shouldn't cause any bloating another said it can, so I'm getting mixed messages.

I think I will check out the Sunwarrior Blend and see how it works out. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    i aim for at least 1g/lean body mass

or try to get macros close to 40c/40p/20f
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I aim for 40/30/30 which means I eat just over than 1g/pound. I couldn't do it without the protein powder, but you know what? Once I started having whey protein powder, I noticed almost instant changes in my energy level.
  • gjriddle
    gjriddle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer has me aiming for at least 150g every day, lift day or not. To put it in perspective, I'm 5'5", 130lbs, 26% BF and I'm lifting 4 days/wk, HIIT cardio 2 days/wk and 1 day rest.

I manage to get it all in using powders as well as snacking on high protein stuff, like raw nuts and edamame.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I aim for 120 g of protein per day. Sometimes I get more. Depends. On my lifting days, I aim for more. In general, .5 to 1 g per lean body mass. I use the GNC Amp Wheybolic 60 protein powder. It's whey protein. I've never ever had a problem with it. Then again, my gastrointestinal system is never an issue. So .. You could be sensitive to whey in general ??
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I think I remember reading somewhere that people who have issues with dairy do better on a whey isolate powder than a whey concentration. Anybody know if that's correct?
  • brneydgrlie
    Options
    I think I remember reading somewhere that people who have issues with dairy do better on a whey isolate powder than a whey concentration. Anybody know if that's correct?

I do not know if that is correct. I stay away from whey altogether. My reasoning is that if they are separating the whey out of a dairy product, there is always a chance of (even small amounts) of residual "contamination" possible in the final product.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options

i don't have issues with dairy but i noticed i did get an upset stomach sometimes and when i switched to an isolate it seemed to help a bit :) i used to use ON (i still do sometimes) and now i use Dymatize Iso 100
  • azalais7
    Options

i don't have issues with dairy but i noticed i did get an upset stomach sometimes and when i switched to an isolate it seemed to help a bit :) i used to use ON (i still do sometimes) and now i use Dymatize Iso 100

Okay, so the isolate might work for folks who have lactose intolerance, since there's no lactose in it, whereas some whey concentrates may have lactose. I wouldn't try it if you're actually allergic to dairy.
  • cmje94066
    Options
    Actually, I was using the AMP Whey protein and I had to stop because the Whey caused so much bloating! But now I used the Sunwarrior protein blend - plant based and it's so much better on my stomach. AMP isn't recommended for people who are lactose intolerant, and I have to stay clear of it!
  • azalais7
    Options
    Glad you found something that works for you!

For others who are wondering about whey protein and lactose intolerance, this is what I found:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/539857-whey-protein-dairy-intolerance/

"Because whey protein contains only about 5 to 6 percent lactose, it can be eaten by most people who have lactose intolerance simply because there isn’t enough lactose to trigger symptoms. However, if you are lactose intolerant, it can still cause problems. The Whey Protein Institute recommends that you use whey protein isolate products instead of concentrates. Whey isolate contains less than a tenth of a gram of lactose per tablespoon, whereas concentrate products can vary widely in the amount of lactose that they contain. Consult your doctor or a qualified nutritionist before supplementing your diet with whey protein if you suffer from lactose intolerance."

One tricky thing to watch for is that sometimes a protein powder will have both isolate and concentrate, as concentrate is cheaper, so be sure to read the ingredients label.
  • nyspotlight
    nyspotlight Posts: 124
    Options
    Is there any kind of artificial sweetener in the powder? Splenda or aspartame will make me puff right up.

Stevia doesnt bug me, though. Since its more natural.
  • brneydgrlie
    Options
    Is there any kind of artificial sweetener in the powder? Splenda or aspartame will make me puff right up.

Stevia doesnt bug me, though. Since its more natural.

The Sunwarrior powder has stevia.