Hormones?

Before EMTLW I rarely got my cycle. From netting less than 1000 calories to restricting carbs, it only came around mayyyybe once every three months or so, if even that. Since eating more (I've been doing this for about 6 weeks), I have been getting my period every few weeks. I do take BC pills, which should be regulating this, but I'm wondering how/why eating habits affect this. When I was on a VLC diet or restricting carbs I was not underweight by any means ( I was happy at 5'3" 130lbs) but now that I am eating more and weigh more (approx 142lbs), I cannot stop menstruating! Am I making up for lost time here? What's going on? Can hormones be the reason I am having trouble losing weight? So frustrated. Help me?

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Hello!

Regardless of being "underweight" or not, when eating at VLCD's, your hormones will get out of wack. A lot of woman are going to chime in here to say they have seen the same thing regarding this.

Your body has to shutdown/slowdown metabolic process to keep from starving itself to death. This throws hormones all sorts of crazy and leads to things like missed cycles, hair loss, bone density loss ect.

Mike
  • beamie2687
    beamie2687 Posts: 95 Member
    I just read an article that talked about how food deprivation causes a dip in sex hormones (hence, why you were not getting your period). Once you start eating at an appropriate caloric level, your body will respond accordingly. I'm not sure how long-term this is, but the article also mentioned that using BC while at extreme calorie deficits can make the situation worse. I'd see a physician to see when and what might be able to help with your problem!

Sorry! Having so many periods sounds miserable.
  • kelkir
    kelkir Posts: 20
    Thank you for your responses!
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    I just read an article that talked about how food deprivation causes a dip in sex hormones (hence, why you were not getting your period). Once you start eating at an appropriate caloric level, your body will respond accordingly. I'm not sure how long-term this is, but the article also mentioned that using BC while at extreme calorie deficits can make the situation worse. I'd see a physician to see when and what might be able to help with your problem!

Sorry! Having so many periods sounds miserable.

^^^This^^^^but it's only been weeks, so give yourself a chance to get back on track. In the meantime, keep records of what's going on with regard to dates, symptoms, & length of bleeding. Your doctor will want to know these things if you end up having to go.

DO NOT stop the BC pills without backup protection~ you knew that, I know~ but the "big sister" just wanted to put it out there:wink:

Finally, remember that your WEIGHT has nothing to with whether or not our body is STARVING or MALNOURISHED~ I was (am) 200 pounds (or more) and was losing my hair like crazy before EM2WL!! I also had "problems" with my period the entire time I had it and went into menopause VERY early at 40-42~ did it have anything to do with the 40 years of VLCDieting I was doing~ who knows.....

Meanwhile, hon.....:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: cuz when I DID get a period, I freakin' HATED IT!!!!:smooched: