Coconut Oil

Options
mstorvik
mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
Hi all!

I keep reading about people drinking coconut oil and such on a LC diet. Do any of you do this? Can you just buy it in the store? is there a good website with why people use it for LC? I saw a coconutoil.com and I read the wikipedia on it... but that didn't help me much. Anyone have experience with it?

Replies

• LaJaunaF
    LaJaunaF Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I keep reading about people drinking coconut oil and such on a LC diet. Do any of you do this? Can you just buy it in the store? is there a good website with why people use it for LC? I saw a coconutoil.com and I read the wikipedia on it... but that didn't help me much. Anyone have experience with it?

I drink it in my morning coffee with heavy cream and sweetners. Yummmmmm. It is good for my joint inflamation so that is why I started to use it.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I use Banaban Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, I got it from a health store.

I cook with it (it is good for high temperature cooking, unlike some oils) and sometimes just chug some straight if I need a boost. The fact that it contains Medium Chain Triglycerides means it is very unlikely to turn into fat and your body will happily burn it off.

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/weight_Loss/a/Medium-Chain-Triglycerides.htm

I also use it on sore or rough skin, it's great :)
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    bump for later reading . Tks for sharing
  • Granny07
    Granny07 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am looking for Info on the product also, as I just received mine in the mail today. I plan on using it on my hair and body, and I want to cook with it. So need to know, besides frying with it, how else can you use it in cooking? I ordered mine from Puritan Pride. I got the Organic Extra Virgin. Buy 2 get 3 free. $50.00.
  • Granny07
    Options
    Hi all!

• shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I use it just like I would any other oil - fry up my eggs, stir-fry veggies, etc. I got mine at Trader Joe's, but I've seen it at the grocery (if not with the other cooking oils, try the health food section). I've also used it in my coffee.

Today I have a salad for lunch, and I added some coconut oil to the chicken (I'll heat it up). That's my dressing.

I also slathered it on my face after I showered this morning!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i cook a lot of my meats/veggies in it, and put it in my coffee.

its great.

you can get it at amazon.com if the grocery doesn't have it.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Oh, forgot links:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/coconut-oil-health-benefits/#axzz1zqYhH8qy
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/coconut/#axzz1zqYhH8qy

Wellness Mama (http://wellnessmama.com) had like a top 10 things to do with coconut oil, but I'm still searching for it. It has anti-viral and antibacterial properties, and also good treatment for dandruff.

a-ha! http://wellnessmama.com/2072/the-many-benefits-of-coconut-oil/
  • mstorvik
    Options
    You guys are awesome! Thank you!

Any certain brands taste better than others? I assume I get extra virgin? Or virgin? Or regular?
  • Granny07
    Options
    I got Organic Extra Virgin.
  • mstorvik
    Options
    Granny - how's it taste? Is it good?
  • Granny07
    Options
    Thank you, shar140, for the web.sites.
  • Granny07
    Options
    I haven'tasted it yet, but I have it in my hair right now, am going to slather my body with it in a few min. and take a shower. Last night I put it on my face , elbows, feet and legs. Feeling nice and soft this morn'n. The dryness on my legs is gone. My elbows are better, I do have physios. I have got try cooking with it soon. Maybe I will fry a pork chop tonite. I just got it late yesterday afternoon. They say it is good in coffee, but I had tea today.
  • Prilla04
    Prilla04 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Prilla04
    Prilla04 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Does it make food taste like coconut? Like fried chicken, etc.
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    I have 2 different brands that I bought at health food store. I prefer the Nutiva organic extra virgin oil, cold pressed and unrefined.
    http://www.deliciousobsessions.com had 52 uses for coconut oil then her viewers gave her another large amt.
    My friend makes her own lotion from it that she found in this book Rosemary Gladstones Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health. I intend to try it for a lot of reasons. Check it out see if you like.:)

Just google coconut oil to find a lot of recipes.
  • mstorvik
    Options
    This is AWESOME! You guys are amazing!
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    It does leave a coconut flavor in your food. This isn't a problem for me as I love coconut! I also add it to my protein shakes in the morning sometimes and I love it!
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Sounds so weird in coffee, but I'm oddly interested.. How much do you put in?