New to lifting, got a few questions

tashaa1992
tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
Hi, I know I have heard about people losing inches from strength training and eating more but I guess I don't really understand how it is possible whilst eating more, can anyone shed some insight into that?
I'm in recovery from purging type anorexia and I know the number on a scale doesn't define you. It doesn't mean your body is any smaller, because I have been a low weight all my life but my measurements have only ever been slightly less than they are now, but I still don't understand how it is possible to maintain or gain slightly but have your measurements decreased?

I don't want to go to the gym to weight train, my confidence issues have caused me to have panic attacks over this issue so at least for now, I want to do this from home.
What equipment do I need to get started? Could someone advise me on a routine I could start with please? I only workout on a saturday and sunday as during the week I'm busy as I have to juggle a full time job and part time college classes, along with helping out with a charity, so is it okay to workout just two days a week, 1 hour 30 minutes per day, thirty minutes of it being cardio?

How long until I should start seeing results? My ribs are very visible, but the lower part of my stomach now sticks out, I look like I am pregnant, will weight training change this? I've never eaten 'unhealthy' because I love my fresh food too much, so I have never really understood why I look like I do.

That's all I can think of for now, but thank for reading all this and thank you for all the advice:) Have a good day xxx

EDIT: I think like most people, I believed to lose weight you had to eat very little. This is not why I had anorexia but during my anorexia, even eating an apple would cause me to gain weight the next morning. Granted it may have been water weight, but I think it's why I am sceptical about the eat more to weigh less concept. During the first few stages of my recovery, I was weighed in every few days and I started gaining really fast, despite my portion sizes being so small, whereas now I am able to eat more and maintain my weight on approx 2000+.

Replies

• Spooky_Rach
    Spooky_Rach Posts: 25 Member
    Hi, I know I have heard about people losing inches from strength training and eating more but I guess I don't really understand how it is possible whilst eating more, can anyone shed some insight into that?
    I'm in recovery from purging type anorexia and I know the number on a scale doesn't define you. It doesn't mean your body is any smaller, because I have been a low weight all my life but my measurements have only ever been slightly less than they are now, but I still don't understand how it is possible to maintain or gain slightly but have your measurements decreased?

I don't want to go to the gym to weight train, my confidence issues have caused me to have panic attacks over this issue so at least for now, I want to do this from home.
    What equipment do I need to get started? Could someone advise me on a routine I could start with please? I only workout on a saturday and sunday as during the week I'm busy as I have to juggle a full time job and part time college classes, along with helping out with a charity, so is it okay to workout just two days a week, 1 hour 30 minutes per day, thirty minutes of it being cardio?

How long until I should start seeing results? My ribs are very visible, but the lower part of my stomach now sticks out, I look like I am pregnant, will weight training change this? I've never eaten 'unhealthy' because I love my fresh food too much, so I have never really understood why I look like I do.

That's all I can think of for now, but thank for reading all this and thank you for all the advice:) Have a good day xxx

EDIT: I think like most people, I believed to lose weight you had to eat very little. This is not why I had anorexia but during my anorexia, even eating an apple would cause me to gain weight the next morning. Granted it may have been water weight, but I think it's why I am sceptical about the eat more to weigh less concept. During the first few stages of my recovery, I was weighed in every few days and I started gaining really fast, despite my portion sizes being so small, whereas now I am able to eat more and maintain my weight on approx 2000+.

5lbs of muscle and 5lbs of fat weigh the same but muscle takes up less volume (space) than fat does http://oakcitycrossfit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/fatpic.jpg <- a little picture for illustration :smile:

My feeling is that weight training as in something like New Rules of Lifting for Women or Starting Strength wouldn't really work with 2 back to back days of training, but you could maybe have a read of them anyway to give you some ideas :). One of Jillian Michaels dvds might work better for you.

On the last question my answer is going to be I'm not sure on this one. Probably best way is to take progress photos every month and measure with a tape measure every week.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Hi! When I started with heavy lifting -one year ago I was the same weight as I'm now. But back then I was in size 8, now I'm in size 6. I started with New Rules Of Lifting For Women and then did a month of Starting Strength. When you lift heavy things your body will get thigh and that is how you will loose inches and no weight. Like Spooky said muscle is denser than fat.
    I also don't think that two days back to back will do much for you. You need to give your muscles a break of a day in between heavy lifting. You can do cardio in between, but nothing heavy. Can you carve about 30 min. in your day for a fast routine? If you can, you should consider kettlebells-they will give you the benefits of heavy lifting and cardio at the same time. myohmytv.com has great routines for kettlebells and they are about 30 min. each. Check it out. You also may consider just doing body weight workouts. Check this one out http://www.fitnessbender.com/ . Also nerdfitness.com is great!
    As for haw fast you will see results -it depends on your body, diet and how much work you put in to it. If you are just starting with a routine -heavy lifting, you will see fast results. Good luck to you!
  • tashaa1992

5lbs of muscle and 5lbs of fat weigh the same but muscle takes up less volume (space) than fat does http://oakcitycrossfit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/fatpic.jpg <- a little picture for illustration :smile:

My feeling is that weight training as in something like New Rules of Lifting for Women or Starting Strength wouldn't really work with 2 back to back days of training, but you could maybe have a read of them anyway to give you some ideas :). One of Jillian Michaels dvds might work better for you.

On the last question my answer is going to be I'm not sure on this one. Probably best way is to take progress photos every month and measure with a tape measure every week.
    The picture wouldn't load:( lol I think I'm going take everyone's advice and have a rest in between workouts:)
  • tashaa1992
    Hi! When I started with heavy lifting -one year ago I was the same weight as I'm now. But back then I was in size 8, now I'm in size 6. I started with New Rules Of Lifting For Women and then did a month of Starting Strength. When you lift heavy things your body will get thigh and that is how you will loose inches and no weight. Like Spooky said muscle is denser than fat.
    I also don't think that two days back to back will do much for you. You need to give your muscles a break of a day in between heavy lifting. You can do cardio in between, but nothing heavy. Can you carve about 30 min. in your day for a fast routine? If you can, you should consider kettlebells-they will give you the benefits of heavy lifting and cardio at the same time. myohmytv.com has great routines for kettlebells and they are about 30 min. each. Check it out. You also may consider just doing body weight workouts. Check this one out http://www.fitnessbender.com/ . Also nerdfitness.com is great!
    As for haw fast you will see results -it depends on your body, diet and how much work you put in to it. If you are just starting with a routine -heavy lifting, you will see fast results. Good luck to you!
    I'm a size 6, 8 and age 12 in childrens sizes and my waist is small I guess, but it's my hips and thighs that I really want to decrease. I don't want to lose the fuller figure I have now though, not altogether if that makes sense?
    I really like the fitness bender website, and I want to order a kettlebell, but what size do I go by? What about dumbells aswell, what size do you think I would need?

Does this routine sound okay, I would workout 5 days a week.
    Tuesday running-20 minutes
    Wednesday weight training-40 minutes
    Thursday running-20 minutes
    Friday weight training-40 minutes
    Saturday running-20 minutes

Is that too much cardio or is it a reasonable amount? Is the weight training enough? Sunday and monday would be rest days because mondays are my busiest day.
    Thank you for all your help:)
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member

Your measurements will decrease as you build muscle because fat takes up more space and muscle is denser.
    When you work out with weights you will be hungrier, just happens. You have to eat more to refuel what you've lost while working out. However building muscle will be the outcome and the more muscle you have the more calories you burn when you are rest so even though you are eating more it won't make you gain fat.
    I would give yourself a month to 6 weeks before you start seeing results, and I recommend taking pictures because it's hard to notice results by eye balling it or using the scale.
    Also, you are going to gain weight, but please don't be scared! Some will be water and some will be muscle. If at all possible, stop weighing yourself altogether.