weight gain at first

Options
mjj79
mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
ANYone else gain when they first increased cals? For over a year i was doing 900 to 1000 (medifast). Plateued (sp?) big time . Doing P90x, which burns a lot of calories, so increased cals to 1400 to 1600 (when i exercise) and 1200 to 1300 when i don't. I'ved been steadily gaining over past 2 weeks. (Up 2 lbs altogether.)

Is this normal?

thanks (BTW, i'm about 5 ft 9 1/2 inches)

Replies

• mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    I think you need to run your numbers through Scoobysworkshop.com. Your calories seem very low for someone your height with your activity level. This calculator takes your exercise into account, so make sure you put 5-6 hours if you are following the program the way it is written. I am not sure how much you weigh, but I am 5'6"-124, and I am set to eat 2000 calories at a 15% cut when I am doing P90X.

Also, you eat the same amount of calories everyday...you do not change your intake on days you don't exercise. Consistency is extremely important.

Hope that helps!
  • tiaredgypsie
    Options
    I second the numbers run. I was severely underestimating my personal needs!

But if my mileage counts, yet weight "gain" is normal. I see fluctuations of about 8 lbs from my starting weight (I was coming from a very low calorie diet as well). It's fluid and all the changes the body goes through when it finally starts getting fed. Take a look at the metabolism reset support threads. the body really goes through a shifting process.
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I think you need to run your numbers through Scoobysworkshop.com. Your calories seem very low for someone your height with your activity level. This calculator takes your exercise into account, so make sure you put 5-6 hours if you are following the program the way it is written. I am not sure how much you weigh, but I am 5'6"-124, and I am set to eat 2000 calories at a 15% cut when I am doing P90X.

Also, you eat the same amount of calories everyday...you do not change your intake on days you don't exercise. Consistency is extremely important.

Hope that helps!

Scooby had me around 1600 :/ So, you don't eat your exercise cals then? I tried 1600 for a couple of days and gained. So scary going from low cal to 1400 or (gasp) 1600. My hubby says i'm not sticking with it enough. It's also hard to get in all those cals (with good food). Def. don't feel hungry enough.
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options

Hope that helps!

Scooby had me around 1600 :/ So, you don't eat your exercise cals then? I tried 1600 for a couple of days and gained. So scary going from low cal to 1400 or (gasp) 1600. My hubby says i'm not sticking with it enough. It's also hard to get in all those cals (with good food). Def. don't feel hungry enough.

Right. As long as you put your exercise in correctly, that is accounted for in your numbers. The only time you would eat back any exercise calories is if you net less than your BMR. And you definitely need to give it time. Most people feel like they are completely stuffed, but that evens out. Your body needs to get used to the fact that you are going to be consistantly giving it adequate nutrition.

Honestly, if you were on a very low calorie diet for a long time, your best bet would be to do a whole reset (although I am sure you don't want to hear you should be eating even more!). If you want someone to double check your numbers, you can PM me your info and I will be glad to look at it.