ChaLEAN Extreme AFTER p90X - what I think...

Options
jyska
jyska Posts: 728 Member
Ok, so many of you wanted to know what I think of doing CLX after graduating p90X....Here are my thoughts so far (this is only one week in, so I'll definitely try to come back and update this after each phase).

1. CLX feels much easier in the lifting circuits at first until you realize that you can lift MUCH heavier in her program than you can in p90x. P90x does so much in an hour that your muscles are toast fast, but because CLX is shorter, slow and deliberate, you really have to up those weights to 'FEEL' it. So, if you are maxed out on the weights you have with p90x, expect to use/need heavier ones, or to really flex to make it harder.

2. CLX cardio is harder on me than P90x ever was. (I find it harder than plyo right now because my legs are fairly strong but the CLX cardio gets your lungs going in ways that p90x doesn't) I expect to adapt soon though. :smile: At least I sure hope I do!! (dad-blast-it burpees)

3. CLX works your HIPS! Tony seems to ignore those because that is the one area of my body that consistently aches so far after her workouts. So ladies, there is a benefit there for us!

4. CLX is shorter than p90X in time so it is a little easier to work in those workouts but you may feel like you haven't worked out enough if you are used to heart pumping cardio or longer p90X circuits. A word though if I might be so bold...if you feel tempted to work in a little extra workout after her lifting circuits, chances are you probably need to lift HEAVIER!! you should be very tired, muscles shaking, and sweaty by the end of those 40 min, not revved up for more! You really have to PUSH yourself...it's kinda all in your hands as to how hard you work those circuits.

5. CLX is a an awesome supplement to p90X. Although I have only been doing this a week, most of what I can discern from reviews is this - CLX is great for losing fat and adding muscle (or maintaining what you have). P90X is great for putting ON muscle, but not necessarily geared towards getting leaner (fat loss). So, if you have been considering the two programs, I would personally say that the best way to do it would be to start with CLX, move up to p90X and then use both programs to maintain or further your progress in a back and forth schedule.

Anyways, that's my two cents so far....I will try to remember to come back and update how I'm feeling after each phase. Currently I'm almost finished up week 6 of my reset, so I don't expect to lose much in weight right now, but I am trying to keep the lifting heavy and perhaps change some of that fat in for muscle in the meantime! :smile:

Replies

• bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    thanks! ive been considering taking on video "program" once the summer wraps up. this helps narrow it down for me! im trying to get ripped!!! buuuut i still have some blub to shed!!
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    Awesome info! I have been doing the Supreme 90 program and was looking at CLX for my next project. I especially appreciate the tidbit about working the hips. The only weight I need to lose is south of the border. ;) I have skinny arms and amazon legs. lol
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love ChaLean Extreme wayyyyy better than p90x. I def. feel more accomplished after 40 min of CLX than 70 min. of p90x. My hamstring have never been firmer.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Well, since I am doing P90X now, perhaps I'll do ChaLean Extreme next. It depends though. I'm only doing P90X now because I got it for free. We'll have to see what ChaLean costs. I may have to ask for it for Christmas or something.

*scurries off to check it out*

ETA: Yeah. *sigh*

Unless I can find someone willing to record their DVDs lol like I did with P90X and Insanity...
  • jyska
    Options
    Well, since I am doing P90X now, perhaps I'll do ChaLean Extreme next. It depends though. I'm only doing P90X now because I got it for free. We'll have to see what ChaLean costs. I may have to ask for it for Christmas or something.

*scurries off to check it out*

Same thing happened to me...I received the p90X for free so I started with that. ChaLEAN is about $120 plus shipping if I remember correctly.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I agree CLX is really a nice lifting workout.

Wait for the second phase-I love the push phase :)))

I have P90X sitting in my cupboard (got it as a present), but I am not sure if I even want to try it, or if I move on to Cathe after CLX.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    That's so interesting! I've done CLX and loved it, and always thought that P90x would be at a completely different level (that I couldn't possibly achieve just yet). Thanks for sharing!
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    I agree with your review of P90X. Excellent for building muscle, but I didn't see myself as much leaner afterwards.
  • AprilRenewed
    Options
    I agree CLX is really a nice lifting workout.

Wait for the second phase-I love the push phase :)))

I have P90X sitting in my cupboard (got it as a present), but I am not sure if I even want to try it, or if I move on to Cathe after CLX.

I LOVE P90X. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!! I suggest trying it out just for something different. If you don't like it, then don't do it. But give it a shot. My favorite interval training is Kenpo. SO much fun!

Since I didn't need to lose weight, I'm happy with it. But I've done it alongside interval HIIT training - now with Insanity workouts which I really like. Shawn T's teaching me how to use my tummy muscles with every exercise!
  • missdimpley
    missdimpley Posts: 192
    Options
    I did chalean extreme for 3 months and LOVE it.. I'm doing les milss pump right now.. Thinking about getting STS? is that even better than ch alean extyreme? that is what KIKI told me lol
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Doing p90x now, almost done got phase 3 left.. I definitely feel done after most of my strength circuits and lift heavy and to failure on every exercise, I do the 8-10 rep range but if you lift heavier and do 12-15 reps (rep 14/15 should be pretty hard to finish) that should help toning.
    As far as the cardio goes, I think I am going to mix in Insanity when I am done, I hear that really maxes both programs out. I may look at CLX but being a guy, that might be too weird since its geared for woman.
  • AprilRenewed
    Options
    Doing p90x now, almost done got phase 3 left.. I definitely feel done after most of my strength circuits and lift heavy and to failure on every exercise, I do the 8-10 rep range but if you lift heavier and do 12-15 reps (rep 14/15 should be pretty hard to finish) that should help toning.
    As far as the cardio goes, I think I am going to mix in Insanity when I am done, I hear that really maxes both programs out. I may look at CLX but being a guy, that might be too weird since its geared for woman.

That's what I'm doing, P90X/Insanity. And I love it. I love the lifting with P90X and Kenpo. And I love the cardio intervals with Insanity and how all his cardio makes you really concentrate on your core, too.
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have never done charlene extreme but I I have done a few of the turbo fire workouts which are fun! I really enjoy P90x and I just recently finished p90x2! Awesome programs! Right now I am mixing p90x strength with my running!

Maybe by adding more cardio to my workouts I will start to drop some weight! Crossing fingers!! :smile:
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Great review! Thanks for all the information!
  • Journalartista
    Journalartista Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for taking the time to write this!
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Do you need to have a full set of weights at home to do this, or is it something you could translate into doing at the gym? I really don't have space for anything at home beyond a few dumbbells.

Would this be a good program to follow NROL4W?
  • jyska
    Options
    Do you need to have a full set of weights at home to do this, or is it something you could translate into doing at the gym? I really don't have space for anything at home beyond a few dumbbells.

Would this be a good program to follow NROL4W?

It's more of a home workout. You don't need much, just a set of adjustable weights or bands and space requirement is minimal. The thigh toner band and one band came with the set that I bought so all I needed was my weights.

I've never done NROL4W, so I can't really say if it would be good to follow that. Basically, CLX is a good balanced program for leaning up and building muscle because it incorporates both elements of cardio and weights well for those that want a good home workout. It's especially effective for people new to lifting, but is also very effective and fun for those of us with lifting experience to build on your strength if you have the self motivation to push yourself properly.
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Mom2M_and_O Posts: 214
    Options
    I've looked at the Beachbody site, but I don't see a lot of details. Is it like P90X where you have a different workout everyday? The thing I'm frustrated with P90X is that while I enjoy the individual workouts, I feel like a full hour on one set of muscles is overkill for me, and if I miss a day or two, I've missed entire workouts focusing on said muscles. And if you miss some it's hard to catch up -- the schedule is just not very forgiving. I'm thinking about customizing it some and using some from one disc and then picking a few from another, but switching discs in and out will be disruptive to the workout flow. I'd love to find a program that incorporates various muscles in one workout -- but not necessarily have to do the same workout all the time. I've done 30 Day Shred, but am not sure I want to go back to that either.
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am doing Turbo Fire with Les Mills PUMP. I love this weight program because it has that "group class" feel with familiar music (it rocks). PUMP is a bar type workout, so you can go heavy if you want, and the longest workout is 55 min. I have 40 pounds for squats on my bar and after 5 min of reps, kills me, but I have much more tone legs than I ever have. :) I love Chalene's up beat attitude, so maybe I will try her weight workout after this 2nd round that I am currently doing.
  • cmje94066
    cmje94066 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you for hte insight, I was considering which to start next and I will get the CLX. I still have some slimming to do! :wink: