Week 5 Confusion

Options
MissAmyB80
MissAmyB80 Posts: 159 Member
So I am getting ready to move into week 5 - I have done week 4 four times now.

I don't understand week 5 though. The first and second day I get...I see the progression. But then on day 3 I run for 20 minutes? That seems like a BIG jump??? And week 6 I go BACK to running 5 & 8 minute intervals.

Can someone explain the logic behind that to me. If I get my breathing under control enough to run 20 min - why would I go back? Wouldn't I just keep running longer and longer??

Realistically - I can see myself skipping that 20 min run on day 3 this week and moving to week 6 to keep building up to it. It just seems really out of place.

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Someone else suggested that- skipping D3 and going back to it after W6 D1 and D2......Not sure how I feel about it. Didn't get up and go this morning- too hot at 5AM already and wasn't feeling very good Supposed to cool down Sunday and get back to nice 60's in the AM by Monday- I'll go then.....I'm a whimp....
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Honestly...if I feel like I can run farther than the plan calls for, I run. I found it harder to run, walk, run, walk, etc than it was to just keep running! Because of doing this, I haven't really followed the plan since week 3 and been doing my own thing.

Today, which technically would be W6D3 for me, I ran for 25 minutes (2.5 miles).
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    20 minute run is a physical as well as a mental challenge for most running 5-8 min. segments. End of week 6 is a 25 min run so there is a need to start training for longer (5k) distance times.

No need to go back to the shorter segments if the longer segments are within your capabilites. Substitute the 20 min segment in for the beginning of W6. They are stepping stones to the longer runs.

In cyclying, rolling hills allows ones legs to recover during the downhill segments. Interval training for running simulates hills. I am starting W5 and a 20 minute run would feel like a very long segment with no breaks. I will probably go from 5 - 8 - 13 min segments using the podcasts to work up to the 20 min run. So far, 2 or 3 runs at each level has been enough to be comfortable moving to the next level.
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I think that day 3 is a mental challenge. It is a huge jump and I was AMAZED when I actually did it! On one of the newbie advice threads, someone recommended "just trust in the program". This is where trusting comes into play. Give it a try.....your very best try. If you don't succeed, move on the W6D1-2 and then do W5D3 again.
  • amyram
    amyram Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Challenge yourself, you don't improve by continuing to do what you know you can do. Go get it, you can do it, and if the unthinkable happens and you don't make it then try again and push just a little farther, repeat as necessary.
    Good Luck let us know how it goes, and tell your friends that your going to do it. Thats what kept me going right at the end, I didn't want to tell my friends (co-workers) that I didn't make it.
    :wink:
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    W5 is a funny week isn't it? I'm sure there is some great reasoning behind it but it somehow works. It looked like a challenging week, it certainly was but I did it and that 20 min run felt awesome! I even sprinted after to catch up to a friend. So W6D1 & D2 should have been a breeze but it wasn't...lol I had to work myself up to W6D3 again. So don't over think it & just go with the program & do your best on the day you're running:) you might surprise yourself...
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    You will amaze yourself once you do that 20 minute run! Going back to the shorter runs to me was a bad idea until I started thinking that it would be a good week to work on increasing speed slightly.
  • lanzaroteblue
    lanzaroteblue Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I think that day 3 is a mental challenge. It is a huge jump and I was AMAZED when I actually did it! On one of the newbie advice threads, someone recommended "just trust in the program". This is where trusting comes into play. Give it a try.....your very best try. If you don't succeed, move on the W6D1-2 and then do W5D3 again.

I agree with 'trusting the programme'. I've just finished W6 and on W6D1, I found it difficult and looking back, couldn't have managed a longer run straight after the 20min session.
    I still can't believe that W1D1 was a challenge only 6 weeks ago so I'm 'trusting the programme'.

Good luck
    Nicola xxx
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I agree! W5D3 is a mental challenge more than a physical one! By the time you get there your body can handle it even though you don't think it can...it's getting over that were the challenge comes in. I did it and felt great afterward! I say push yourself to do it but if you need to take a walk in the middle somewhere you can do that too. That was my plan. Run 11 minutes, if I needed a walk then walk 2 and then run 9. But I didn't need it once I got there :-)
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    The only thing stopping you from completing W5D3 is your mind. Do not let your mind defeat you before you even attempt it. Tell your body to have a conversation with your mind beforehand. Rehearse all the possible excuses your mind will come up with so you'll be prepared to answer them when the questioning starts.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Week 5, Day 3 is definitely a mental challenge. My body felt fine the entire run (I just got in from completing this challenge about 5 minutes ago). After 14 minutes, my brain started telling me it was time to walk...this was too far and I'd never gone longer than 14 minutes. My body was fine, though, so I pushed through. Again, at 18 minutes my brain told me I HAD to walk so I told it no and finished the 20 minutes. It wasn't a full 2 miles for me which was a bit disappointing but I got it!