How much do you squat and deadlift?

Options
jamaicanlady
jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
Hey ladies, I'm a lurker because I'm actually doing NROL (the original) but their message board isn't half as active as this one. I see some of you pushing really big #s and I just wanted to have an idea of what I should be aiming for. I'm interested to know:

1. How much do you squat and deadlift
2. For how many reps/sets?
3. Your height and weight

Not sure if #3 is important as it relates to how much you lift, I've seen many arguments over why it is or isn't, but I'm really interested in #2. I am currently squatting 70 lbs at 15 reps but I struggle to finish during sets 2 and 3.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• saramea
    saramea Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I finished the special workout for Exercise A yesterday. I was able to do squat 40lbs on a bar on my back for 37 reps. Since I work out at home I am limited to the weight I can actually get over my head. If I was able to go to a gym I think I could add at least 20lbs on the assisted squat rack and more reps. I stopped at 37 because the bar started slipping off my shoulders.

I will be doing the special workout for Exercise B tomorrow and expect to be able to go up to 50.

I'm 6ft and 163lbs.
  • TheGsMama
    TheGsMama Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Currently at 12 reps I squat 110# and deadlift 50#. I have not been sore so I am planning to increase both of those amounts next wotkouts.
  • Rielyn
    Rielyn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm coming up on 8A tomorrow and I am currently squatting 115 lbs. and deadlifting 105 lbs.
    3 sets 8 reps, I could probably add more to my deadlift but doubtful about adding more to my squats
    For what it's worth I'm 5'8 & 170 lbs.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I did NR stages 1-3 and then started working my own program. I currently squat 115lbs and DL 130lbs for 3 sets of 6. 5'5", 129 lbs.
  • jamaicanlady
    Options
    Thank you ladies so much.

And let me just say, your numbers are VERY impressive. Do any of you wear knee pads during squats? The gym instructor at the gym was suggesting I wear them to protect my knees.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm done with the program.
    I'm 5'8", 150 #. Deadlift usually train with 185# x 3sets x 8reps. Today I did 200# x 3sets x 3reps just to see if I can do it. Squat-135# x 3 sets x 8 reps.
    I don't wear anything for squats, but have heard about knee sleeves before.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm done with the program.
    I'm 5'8", 150 #. Deadlift usually train with 185# x 3sets x 8reps. Today I did 200# x 3sets x 3reps just to see if I can do it. Squat-135# x 3 sets x 8 reps.
    I don't wear anything for squats, but have heard about knee sleeves before.
    Pretty hardocre. I'm stage five my last back squat was 125 at 10 reps and my deadlift is 110 at 8 reps. 5'6'' 145 lbs. No pads, just gloves.
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Wow I feel like such a whimp. I just started though - did Stage 1, A2 today. Here's where I am so far:

Squats - 55# (2 sets of 15 reps)
    Deadlifts - 50# (2 sets of 15 reps)

I am DYING around the tenth rep on the squats and really have to dig deep to push out the last five, especially on that 2nd set!
    And I think I may have over extended my or pulled something in my lower back today - UGH.

Anyways seeing 100+# is freakin' AMAZING to me. Maybe I'll be there in a few months and amaze myself???
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Okay, I must be doing it wrong. I'm doing NROLFW book. And just doing the workout on the left side of the book. Dead lifts are on the B page, on the right side. Should I be doing both? I started out doing both pages, people on here as to only do left side which would be workout A...???????
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Okay, I must be doing it wrong. I'm doing NROLFW book. And just doing the workout on the left side of the book. Dead lifts are on the B page, on the right side. Should I be doing both? I started out doing both pages, people on here as to only do left side which would be workout A...???????

As I understand it you're supposed to do both by alternating A and B Workouts.
    So my 1st week has looked like this: Mon - A, Thursday - B, Saturday - A
    Next week I'll do this: Mon - B, Wed - A, Fri - B.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Wow ! That's just my luck! I wondered why I was going to work all those same muscles, then forget about them & move on to the "b" side on the book! Good grief , I worked out today... Duhhh, "A" left side, should I do the right tomorrow? Or just"fix" it on Monday ? THANK YOU for turning the lights on for me !LOL. Good luck with your sore back !
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I did 7A most recently: Squat 110 and most recent Deadlift 108 (3 sets of 8 reps)
    I think I need to drop the squat weight a bit as my form suffered quite a bit with that much weight. Getting into triple figures was one of my goals for the program!

I don't wear gloves etc but I need to start, getting some attractive calluses on my hands! :smile:

Debbie I would stick to your normal days working out routine, so next planned time move to your B day (rather than doing 2 days in a row to catch up) Just make up the Bs at the end!
  • jamaicanlady
    Options
    I did 7A most recently: Squat 110 and most recent Deadlift 108 (3 sets of 8 reps)
    I think I need to drop the squat weight a bit as my form suffered quite a bit with that much weight. Getting into triple figures was one of my goals for the program!

I don't wear gloves etc but I need to start, getting some attractive calluses on my hands! :smile:

Debbie I would stick to your normal days working out routine, so next planned time move to your B day (rather than doing 2 days in a row to catch up) Just make up the Bs at the end!
    \

Triple figures is my new aim too after seeing all these big #s in here. You ladies are so strong!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    You ladies are impressive! I am stage 1 (6b). 5'6" and 182lbs. I can DL 110lbs, but only squatting 80lbs. I am also aiming to get above 100lbs.
  • DoctorKyrina
    DoctorKyrina Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    While I'm in this group, I'm doing Starting Strength right now (I started it before getting the book and it seemed silly to switch 2 weeks after starting one program), but in my last workout I squatted 42.5kg (~94lbs) in 3 sets of 5 and I deadlifted 55kgs (~121lbs) in one set of 5. I'm working my way up :) I'm 5'6" and about 177lbs. I'm only really on week 5 and so I'm pleased with myself.

And I'm very impressed with people here. It gives me hope I'll do better.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I am in Stage 1 and only 2 weeks in and I am trying to increase by at least 5 pounds each workout.

I am age 51, 5 ft even and 200 pds.

Squats (hold weight across chest due to balance issues) started at 20, now at 40
    Deadlift~ start at 25, now at 45

After reading all your posts, I feel inspired to maybe hit a 3 digit weight myself!!

Awesome, awesome job ladies!:flowerforyou:
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I did 180lbs on my deadlift Thursday. My triner said it looked easy and it felt pretty easy too. Squats are another story for me. I suck at them. I only use a 40 pound bar right now. If I could better form down, I know I could do lots more. My trainer says I have the ideal body shape for deadlifts and squats, whatever that means!

Oh and I only did 1 set of 6 at 180 but did some lighter sets before that. I did a ton of squats, maybe 4 set of 15 or so.

I am 178 lbs and 5' 5"
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Wow,I feel like a wimp with my deadlifts, I will be doing 8a tomorrow and for deadlifts I am using a curl bar with 90 pounds. I can't imagine lifting over 100 pounds. You lady's rock!!!!!
  • shayoni
    shayoni Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm going to be doing stage 2 A1 tomorrow!

I'm 5'6" 201 lbs.

During stage 1 I had no real idea where to start so here are my stats:

Squats start: 45-50 lbs, 2 sets of 15
    Deadlifts start: 50 lbs, 2 sets of 15

Squats A8: 80-85 lbs 3 sets of 8
    Deadlifts B8: 80-85 lbs 3 sets of 8

For some reason my weights have been progressing at pretty much the same speed although I tend to bump up the squat weight faster than the deadlifts due to fear of hurting my back. I always think to myself, "just imagine how much you'll be ale to lift at goal weight!" =) I actually lost a few pounds during stage 1, even eating 2000-2300 calories per day, and I have lost some inches as well. My biceps and calves are both more defined than before!
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I did workout Stage 1 6B today. I dead lifted 115 at 10 reps. Then I decided to try 125. I did 7 of those!

My copy of Starting Strength came in today. It has entire chapters devoted to the form of both of these. I need to check it against this book to make sure I'm lifting that weight with the proper form.

If you know your form is good, check out this website: www.strstd.com. It will give you some targets to work for.

I have to tell you that when I started, I did exactly what the book says ladies tend to do--I underestimated what I could do. I watched a personal trainer with a brand new lady and he gave her double what I had given myself. I decided to try it. It was tough but doable! I was quite shocked.

For the arm stuff though, I'm not making nearly as much progress. My dumbbell shoulder press is lacking progress.