Cut or keep eating at TDEE? I'm conflicted.

Feeling VERY fluffy in the lower abs area these days. I've been eating at TDEE (per Scooby with gain muscle, lose fat being my goal) for 2 weeks or so I think. I'm wondering if I should do a few weeks at a % cut and see if I have better results. I'm so confused!

Replies

• Bump. Advice?
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Are you on a reset, or just chose to start at TDEE for a bit?
    What kind of results are you looking for? weight loss, inches lost??
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Are you doing the reset or are you just at maintenance? When was the last time you measured yourself? How do your clothes fit?
    If it's only been 2 weeks, it may be to soon to tell.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    How long have you been using EM2WL philosophy? Were you eating low cal before that? If so, for how long?
  • Chose to start at TDEE. Waist is a tiny bit smaller but lower belly is def more bloated and poofy. I want to gain muscle and lose body fat basically. I'm at 111 lbs so losing actual pounds isn't super important to me.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    OK, so what kind of exercise are you doing?
  • OK, so what kind of exercise are you doing?

Been doing Jackie Warner pyramid DVD with 10 lb weights for strength and for my cardio the stationary bike. I've been in an air cast due to a stress fracture on my foot for the past almost 8 weeks. Monday is my dr's appt and I'm hoping I'm able to resume my normal amount of activity (running, weight bearing exercises like lunges etc) soon.

I was eating at 1660 plus eating most of my exercise calories back so I'm actually eating less now than I was before. I've really upped my protein over the past few weeks. Wonder if that's part of it?
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Chose to start at TDEE. Waist is a tiny bit smaller but lower belly is def more bloated and poofy. I want to gain muscle and lose body fat basically. I'm at 111 lbs so losing actual pounds isn't super important to me.

Eating at TDEE would be correct then. It is very common for a lot of us at TDEE to gain in both weight and inches. Just know that this is temporary and water gains. If I remember correctly, both Kiki and Lucia do "bulking" weeks where they eat at their TDEE for a while, then cut back to their 15% and see the inches melt. If I also remember, I think I have heard them say you cant build muscle easily when you are at a calorie deficit, so it would be safe to say, you need to eat at TDEE in order to build muscle. (hopefully they can correct me if I am wrong in that)

I have been at TDEE for 6 weeks and have gained a few pounds and gained a few inches.. I began NROL4W 2 weeks prior so eating at TDEE this long to reset, will only make things show up so much faster when I cut.
    I was eating at 1660 plus eating most of my exercise calories back so I'm actually eating less now than I was before. I've really upped my protein over the past few weeks. Wonder if that's part of it?

You are eating less, but your activity level went way down, correct? So I think this would be correct as well. Your TDEE would go down with no activity..

All I can tell you is that it seems to be common for a lot of us to gain at TDEE in both aspects.. but if you want to build the muscle, you are doing it the right way.:)
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    The belly bloat thing might be down to water retention or possibly not getting enough fibre in your diet if you have increased your protein. I am currently increasing protein and cutting starchy carbs gradually as I find (sorry if TMI) if I go to high protein low carb quickly I will get bunged up so to speak.

Currently I take a psyllium husk capsule every day with at least a cup (250ml) of water along with a probiotic and prebiotic tablet (optibac) which seems to help compensate for the fact that I am getting less soluble fibre from starches, the belly bloat is going down.

I would try drinking more water, reduce your sodium levels, I don't know if you drink a lot of tea/coffee as well but they can dehydrate you - I found when I reduced my tea and coffee intake and replaced with water, green or herbal tea again the bloating reduced somewhat.
  • The belly bloat thing might be down to water retention or possibly not getting enough fibre in your diet if you have increased your protein. I am currently increasing protein and cutting starchy carbs gradually as I find (sorry if TMI) if I go to high protein low carb quickly I will get bunged up so to speak.

Currently I take a psyllium husk capsule every day with at least a cup (250ml) of water along with a probiotic and prebiotic tablet (optibac) which seems to help compensate for the fact that I am getting less soluble fibre from starches, the belly bloat is going down.

I would try drinking more water, reduce your sodium levels, I don't know if you drink a lot of tea/coffee as well but they can dehydrate you - I found when I reduced my tea and coffee intake and replaced with water, green or herbal tea again the bloating reduced somewhat.

I have one (on rare occasion 2) cups of coffee per day. I did notice I was having...ahem...trouble going so I took a stool softener yesterday. It hit me at about 330am in a less than kind way. After 4 trips to the bathroom I did notice less bloating and was even down a pound. LOL!. Not really the sort of NSV one cares to brag about. Maybe I'll try the psyllium husk capsule if it's more gentle. Thanks for the tips!