Guilt over rest days

bethad5
bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
Before EMTWL, I worked out 7 days a week for a minimum of an hour. After starting EMTWL, I cut that down to 6 days a week, and last week was my first week only working out 5 times. This week, I took a rest day Monday, and know I should rest either today or tomorrow. Why do I feel so guilty? I have my clothes at work to go to the gym straight from here in order to take a rest day tomorrow but I am just 100% unmotivated. It is 106 degrees outside. But just thinking about going home rather than to the gym makes me feel so bad about myself. What should I do? Force myself to go tonight to have a rest day tomorrow? (not that tomorrow will really be spent 'resting', since I start moving tomorrow...)

The heat wave is supposed to break Sunday (it's been 100+ for over a week now and it's starting to take its toll). The high Sunday is only 88, which is going to be such a reprieve!

Replies

• PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    You're moving tomorrow?
    That's gonna burn a bunch and work all your muscles, so really not a rest day.
    If you really want the rest day (and your body does:wink: ) rest tonight, otherwise you'll really feel wiped out tomorrow evening.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    I had a solid 4 days rest a few weeks ago, but it was supposed to be 7. I just could NOT rest the full week. I am supposed to be on another rest week right now, but I think ill be lucky to make it through the weekend...I think its ingrained in our heads that if you dont exercise, you are missing out on that little bit "more" to help aid in weight loss.. But its so not true... rest days/weeks help the body to recharge and function better..

Its a mental aspect for sure though
  • I also have difficult taking rest days. The 16 days I started working out, I didn't take 1 day off. Once I did, I finally started losing weight because my body wasn't as stressed. Tomorrow is a rest day for me. I know I will also feel guilty. But we need to get over it, and allow our bodies to rest.
  • jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    I had a solid 4 days rest a few weeks ago, but it was supposed to be 7. I just could NOT rest the full week. I am supposed to be on another rest week right now, but I think ill be lucky to make it through the weekend...I think its ingrained in our heads that if you dont exercise, you are missing out on that little bit "more" to help aid in weight loss.. But its so not true... rest days/weeks help the body to recharge and function better..

Its a mental aspect for sure though

Exactly! Your body needs to rest in order to recover and rebuild. Resting is when your body really takes it's shape! Remember that you will only be hindering your progress if you don't rest. Taking a walk on a rest day is good and helps me not feel guilty about not working out.
  • jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    I also forgot to mention that I know this from personal experience...I didn't rest in two weeks and over trained because I was way too overzealous! I failed to remember my body will not do what I want unless it has had some time to rest and recover.
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    I had a solid 4 days rest a few weeks ago, but it was supposed to be 7. I just could NOT rest the full week. I am supposed to be on another rest week right now, but I think ill be lucky to make it through the weekend.

Not to hijack the thread, but how often should one take a rest week?