How long will I hang out in Week 5?

Options
lyttlewon
lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
I haven't been able to get into the full 20 minute interval yet at the end of week 5 and this is my second week doing it. I max out at 10 minute runs right now. Is there something I should be doing differently?

Replies

• Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    When you get to the 10 min, what is your reason for stopping? Is it your legs, heart rate, breathing?
    Check your pace. If it's possible to go slower, you'll last longer.
    You can modify the program to fit your needs.
    Try increasing the interval times by a couple minutes and decreasing walking time little by little.
  • lyttlewon
    Options
    Heart rate and breathing. Today it was hotter so that didn't help. I will try do gradually lengthen.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Start off your run with a slow pace and work yourself up. I started my 20 minute run with about 12min per mile and worked myself up. I also keep track of my heart rate with my HRM. I started week 6 day 2 today and noticed week 6 day 1 was easier than week 5 day 3.

C25K is not a race, keep it slow and steady until you can get your non stop run, speed and longer distances can come later. Good luck and keep running! :D
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    It took me 2 weeks to get through that 20 minute run. Stick with it!
    I had to have my music set, remember to breath, go to the bathroom BEFORE I ran (sounds like common sense but...), have knee braces on both knees, and it been cool enough in my gym to do it!
    It's not a race to get through C25K. You just have to stick with it and listen to your body.
    I had a HRM on the whole time. I'd have a HR around 150ish, the minute it crept up to 160s, I'd take deep breaths. I'd take 4 steps breathing in and 4 breathing out. It worked for me since I'm running 4-4.5mph (yea I know I'm still slow :/)
  • strawberrygashes
    strawberrygashes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Heart rate and breathing will improve with your endurance, endurance will improve at different rates for different people. Don't push yourself if you're really struggling, I would suggest sticking at what you're comfortable with for now, just to improve your endurance and thus your breathing should start to ease up a little. Try not to focus so much on the actual app and don't think of it as a week that you have a time limit of completing. You could even try going for a few runs without the app, just enjoy it and if you want, use a sports app that will record your distance/time/pace and focus on that than trying to get past a certain week. I used to do this and called them my 'free runs', looking back, my free runs is where I made great progress because I wasn't thinking about certain times and distances.

Running is tough, and it never really gets easy, its just you endure it better if that makes sense. So take your time and focus on improving that endurance.

Also, of you're struggling with heat, try to run at cooler times of the day. If I know its going to be hot, I get up very early. But some people like to run in the evening. :)
  • lyttlewon
    Options
    Thanks you guys. I have been repeating weeks at each interval so I just need to keep trucking.

Strawberrygas I have always wondered it if would ever be easy for me to run. It is certainly easier than it was.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Start off your run with a slow pace and work yourself up. I started my 20 minute run with about 12min per mile and worked myself up. I also keep track of my heart rate with my HRM. I started week 6 day 2 today and noticed week 6 day 1 was easier than week 5 day 3.

C25K is not a race, keep it slow and steady until you can get your non stop run, speed and longer distances can come later. Good luck and keep running! :D

This!
  • lyttlewon
    Options
    Ok I went to the gym today, instead of running outside, and set the treadmill to 4.5 MPH. I was able to do the full 20 minutes. I guess I didn't realize I run that fast on the street, I feel like I am going SO SLOW. Plus my neighborhood has inclines so the flat treadmill must have helped.
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!!