Hi new to group, some advice needed Please

Options
Hi I'm Cheryl.

Looking for some advice about nutrition. I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years. In the last two and half years I went back into martial arts Kung Fu ( Feng Yang Sau ). I'm half way through my coloured belts now and the gradings are getting more demanding, it also does not help that I am 42 and over weight ( must have a screw lose some where) but I love MA. However saying that I still can give the 20 + a run for their money.

my question is how can I lose weight, be veggie and get the energy i need to train in Kung fu as well. Any advice is most welcome.

Replies

• Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I'm 43, and have been doing TKD since last November. When i first signed up i was 245 pounds, and i couldn't even breathe when we would do just STRETCHING, because my gut would be in the way. So last month, i decided i've had enough, and focused on getting in shape, and eating healthy so i can have the stamina to get through the stretching, as well as the kicking portion of class. When i first installed the app on my phone, i weighed 245 lbs, and as of my last weigh-in, i was 237.5 lbs. All i have been doing besides eating right, is doing heavy cardio on the treadmill with some weights, as well as doing the calisthenics that we do in class, so i don't have issues with them when we actually do them. It's been almost a month since i've been weighing on this site, and i definitely feel a difference.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    The more I train, the more energy I have. Except when I am anemic (usually happens to me halfway through pregnancy). Then training wears me out.
    If you are lacking energy, my first suggestion would be to have a complete physical and ask to have your hemoglobin, iron, folate, and thyroid levels checked.
    Physical issues aside, I don't think that following a vegetarian diet should hinder your martial arts or weight loss progress. The thing I love about MFP is that you can monitor not only calories, but also macros... like protein and iron.
    Here is a blog with some advice on getting complete proteins from legumes, grains, and seeds: http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/articles/get-enough-protein-veg-diet.php
    If you eat dairy and eggs, you could try adding a protein shake or two a day.
    But I am neither a nutritionist nor a vegetarian, so I'll be interested in what others have to say.
  • stormwolf41
    Options
    Thank you to dfiumano and bushidomoma for your help. Found this site to be just what I needed to re focus especially after what I seen a fellow student go through last night, he was taking his two and a half hour black sash test. I know I got another two years to get there but that will fly past.

Well done dfiumano I see you've lost a stone now fantastic, I've lost 12lb so far so hoping this week for the another two and I will be happy. Still got a ways to go yet but feel confident will do it with this website.

Thanks to bushidomama for the helpfully tips, Thankfully I am not vegan I do love my dairy products so not so bad on that score. I have increased my iron intake with a natural iron supplement which I am already feeling the benefit of. Plus on training days with in my cal count I have a pure protein shake that suitable for veggies :-) very yummy and filling. Oh and thank you for also putting me on to the website savvyvegetarian.com very informative.
  • CallMePat
    CallMePat Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    How many meals do you eat a day?
    I know that when I first started doing martial arts again I was eating 2 maybe 3 big meals a day. No breakfast most days. And I was miserable. I now eat maybe 3 small meals and 2 or 3 snacks a day.
    Also the other day my sensei told us that we should try to eat a snack within 30 mins of a workout and eat within an hour. Not sure about the science behind it, but he told me that the muscles are very open to nutrients during that time. If you don't refuel them soon after a workout, it will take several days to get back to 100%
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    How many meals do you eat a day?
    I know that when I first started doing martial arts again I was eating 2 maybe 3 big meals a day. No breakfast most days. And I was miserable. I now eat maybe 3 small meals and 2 or 3 snacks a day.
    Also the other day my sensei told us that we should try to eat a snack within 30 mins of a workout and eat within an hour. Not sure about the science behind it, but he told me that the muscles are very open to nutrients during that time. If you don't refuel them soon after a workout, it will take several days to get back to 100%

The 30 minutes before is probably something like a piece of fruit, for energy. Your muscles are most receptive in nutrients for repair after your workout up to 30-45minutes afterwards. That's the "ideal" window but it's all basically about optimizing how quickly your body starts repairing your muscles. Again, generally, you want something with both carbs and protein; carbs to replenish glycogen stores and the protein for repair. It's why so many people take their protein shakes post workout basically.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I was having a similar problem with being ready for training after work.

These are a few rules i added

Less sugar - this includes huge amounts of fruit only so you don't dip and turn up tired
    3-5 meals a day
    More slow release energy foods
    Nuts as snacks - or just cos. you may not like them, but they are good for you
    Protein shake within 30 min of training - you can get veggie friendly ones
    Nothing 1 hour before class