New to this whole "eat more to weigh less" thing

JustJennie1
JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
Ok.

I've been hearing a lot about this group and I joined a little while back but haven't really been reading much. Actually I've been avoiding this group as I am one of those "HAH! That's rubbish!" people. I recently upped my calories a bit to 1500 and for the past two weeks I've been eating at or around this amount (I will unlock my diary to allow anyone to access it. Please note that the weekends are my down fall, especially Fridays as far as alcohol and "bad" food consumption goes). Any way since doing that I've gained weight. I was down 5 lbs a month or so ago and now I'm back up to my starting weight. I know, I know. I hear that it's my body adjusting to the new calories etc etc etc and I'd like to believe this but logically it's tough. I was eating 1200 cals'/day (I know I know!) but like I said I just upped them a bit. I work out every day: 30 min. of cardio followed by an hour to an hour and half of weights lifting as heavy as possible. Sometimes in the afternoon we'll take the dog for a very brisk walk, about 3-4 miles and I plan on integrating some yoga few times a week for the relaxation and stretching.

Moving on:

Stats:
Height: 5'2"
CW: 120lbs

I went on to the Scooby's Workshop and put in my stats and it calculated the following, based on an activity level of 3-5 hrs. moderate activity/week:

BMR: 1289
TDEE: 1998
Daily Cals 20% Reduction: 1599

Now if I put in "desk job" which is basically with little exercise (which I do work at a desk but again I work out rather hard) it gave me the following:

BMR: 1289
TDEE: 1547
Daily Calories based on 20% redux: 1238

Now obviously I am not going back to the 1238 calorie level because it's not sustainable (duh). But I am unsure as to where I should be calorie-wise and how to set MFP: Do I keep it at "sedentary" where I have it now and log my cardio OR do I set it at an activity level and if I do that do I log my cardio still?

Also I am one of those people who is very weary of eating back my exercise calories. There was a time where I was eating a lot more than I do now -- probably close to 1900 calories/day and I was in great shape but then again I was 7 years younger LOL!

I guess I'm confused as to what I should be eating. I'm also confused as to whether or not I should be doing the small meals -- I honestly tried that and gained weight and not in all the right spots either -- and how much carbs/protein/fats I should consume. After briefly reading some things in this group (mind you I have not read everything) and seeing how many people recommend it (someone on my FL was quick to jump in when I was moaning about how I feel right now and wondering what I should eat that I need this group) so here I am.

Any insight/feedback/help would be greatly appreciated. I have some goals that I would like to reach -- they're fall goals so I have time -- and would love to be able to fuel my body properly by getting the right amount of calories to help me to lose weight and lean out.

Thanks!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Settuccini
    Settuccini Posts: 44
    Sorry, about to leave so a quick response that I noticed through skimming: You will eat at your TDEE for 6-8 wks until you start maintaining you weight, then stay there for another 2 wks or so for your body to normalize. I would stop doing cardio altogether, otherwise you'll just have to eat even more (unless you don't mind!).

As for when you go on your cut, being that you are already so slim, your reduction should only be about 10%. You will lose weight slowly, but more healthily (and not cutting calories so low). If the weight doesn't budge at ALL after 3~ wks + weight lifting, start measuring your body rather than weighing it. You could be building muscle! If STILL you aren't seeing any muscle gains, cut to 15%. Just don't fall back to 1200 if you can help it. :)

I'm new to this as well, so if anyone wants to correct me, feel free! I hope this helped a bit. Sorry if it's not at all what you were asking. I just noticed a quick mistake and wanted to bring it to your attention. A 20% reduction is WAY too much for someone who isn't overweight. You still have a healthy BMI at 120 lbs!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    Settuccini: It was what I was asking.

Should I go back and redo my numbers with the 10% reduction? And do I keep my "activity level" at active since I do workout? I'm just not sure what I should be eating:

With Activity Level at Active:

TDEE at a 10% decrease is around 1800 calories

With "sedentary" activity level:

TDEE at a 10% decrease is around 1400 calories

As for cardio: I'll still do it because I like it. (crazy, I know LOL!)
  • Settuccini
    Settuccini Posts: 44
    Finally back from being away. I read your initial post thoroughly rather than briskly... So!

I would give yourself at LEAST 2 rest days a week from exercising. This allows your body to repair and heal itself from all the lifting/exercising you've been doing. Trust me, this is good for you! Judging by how active you are, though, I'd DEFINITELY say you're in the "moderately active" category!

If you're doing the reset, I would eat at your maintenance (TDEE of 1996) for 6-8 weeks, as recommended by others who are doing/have completed this recovery process. Yes, you'll gain weight (I'm gaining, too and I'm only on my first week. I'm coming from a super low calorie diet of 750 calories a day, yeesh. What was I thinking? :P), but once you STOP gaining and start maintaining on this calorie intake, that means it's working. Your body is almost fully recovered. Stick around 1996 for two more weeks of maintenance.

Then, yes! Go down to your 10% cut of 1800 calories. See how that works and how steady your weight/inch loss is (remember, it's not all about the number on the scale, especially with how much you've been exercising).

And icky cardio! I wish I loved it, but ugh. It's the worst! Lmao.
  • jessifreehugs
    jessifreehugs Posts: 81 Member
    I'm VERY new to this, but I would use your active TDEE over the sedentary one. People tend to underestimate themselves in terms of actual activity during the day. Even if you have a desk job, you're still working out at least 3 times a week. In which case, I would consider you to be either lightly or moderately active using this site http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
    Try both of those calculations and really be honest with yourself about how active you are. If you have a desk job but walk around a bit and exercise 5+ times a week, I'd mark that as moderatly active...but I'm in no way an expert lol.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    If you are working out that much you are more likely in the strenous (5-6 hrs/week) or more strenuous (7+ hrs/week) of activity despite sitting at a desk all day. Calculate your TDEE using your activity level. Also if you are near your goal weight then do a smaller cut like 5 or 10%. Also if you are weight training you may not see the scale move at all. You'll need to find a different way to measure success - strenght, BF %, tape measure, fit of your clothes, etc.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    If you are working out that much you are more likely in the strenous (5-6 hrs/week) or more strenuous (7+ hrs/week) of activity despite sitting at a desk all day. Calculate your TDEE using your activity level. Also if you are near your goal weight then do a smaller cut like 5 or 10%. Also if you are weight training you may not see the scale move at all. You'll need to find a different way to measure success - strenght, BF %, tape measure, fit of your clothes, etc.

What she said :)
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member

This is what I was thinking. If you maintain your current workout regime during your reset, you need to be honest and put yourself in the strenuous category. If you feel like that's way too many calories to eat, then you might want to reduce some of your exercise. As far as MFP is concerned, you will not eat back your exercise calories. They will be figured in. Exception would be that on workout days if your net intake is below BMR, you need to bring it up over BMR.

I really strongly believe based on the history that you gave that you need to do a reset before jumping to your cut number. There is a reset thread stickied where you can find a ton of support for the reset. We all have good and bad days and griping about eating more is welcome. It's part of the process!

Also want to add, I just ran your stats for you.

Your TDEE according to Scooby is 2221. This is what you need to eat right now while you get your metabolism reset! Good luck and welcome!